• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potatoes...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potatoes...

I am sure potato head Wayne Easter will find a way for a payment....

They will destroy potatoes before trying to find a way to feed people and then get a payment to boot...

Dairy guys get 4 billion so they can sewer milk while a jug doesn't move down in price...

Milk should have been free at grocery stores to keep the milk flowing ...then give them government money to cover costs....but to just waste it????

Everyone has probably seen the pile of pigs destroyed....

There will be cattle piles as well because they are fed hard to slaughter....but die of heart attack if kept too long after....or not put on a maintenance diet early enough....

The whole system is phucked.....

Go big or go home....big slaughterhouses have threatened our food supply ....brought to you by government policy....

Wonder which bureaucrats will put up their hand and admit their errors....or are some still waiting for the honor dinner to mount their plaque on the wall....

"Go big or go home....big slaughterhouses have threatened our food supply ....brought to you by government policy...."

Huh? So economics and economies of scale don't have anything to do with the why big plants have replaced all the smaller ones?

Its the same thing that has happened to independent small retailers, many are under pressure from large retailers.

The US has even larger processors and they have food safety rules too.
    Last edited by chuckChuck; Apr 29, 2020, 07:06.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
      "Go big or go home....big slaughterhouses have threatened our food supply ....brought to you by government policy...."

Huh? So economics and economies of scale don't have anything to do with the why big plants have replaced all the smaller ones?

Its the same thing that has happened to independent small retailers, many are under pressure from large retailers.

I have never understood go big or go home....but its all the mantra...

I guess if you are a BTO and using TFW it works out pretty well for some cash to pay workers and then its not coming out of the BTO's pocket ...but it is being paid for by the smaller farmers that do the work themselves...

Comment

The economies of scale in the meat packing industry are mainly distortions due to excess prohibitive government regulations. When the fixed costs to meet the all of the rules and regulations are nearly as much to process one carcass, or thousands, it favours the latter. More unintended consequences of bureaucratic overreach, likely with the big packers being complicit.

Comment

Just think of the health savings without people eating all those French Fries. Maybe eat potatoes in old fashioned way.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
            The economies of scale in the meat packing industry are mainly distortions due to excess prohibitive government regulations. When the fixed costs to meet the all of the rules and regulations are nearly as much to process one carcass, or thousands, it favours the latter. More unintended consequences of bureaucratic overreach, likely with the big packers being complicit.
            those damn details again !

Comment

At least that won't happen to grain farmers.

Comment

The wooden shoe spud seed guys are rolling hard here .. expanding and no sign of slowing up can’t be hurting too bad .

Comment

Originally posted by Leduc cowboy View Post
                  The wooden shoe spud seed guys are rolling hard here .. expanding and no sign of slowing up can’t be hurting too bad .
                  The afsc coverage for potatoes is pretty mind boggling

Comment

A5, so you have experience with managing a large slaughterhouse meat processor?

Show us the numbers. What is the cost of safety regulations in the big processors relative to all the other costs? And what food safety regulations would you cut? Did we learn anything from the listeria outbreak a few years ago? What is the cost of loss of consumer confidence?

I prefer to buy my meat locally from a farmer or raise it myself. But I also want to know that that the meat is inspected and that its not covered in feces and is safe to eat without contamination.

Comment

A5, so you have experience with managing a large slaughterhouse meat processor?

Show us the numbers. What is the cost of safety regulations in the big processors relative to all the other costs? And what food safety regulations would you cut? Did we learn anything from the listeria outbreak a few years ago? What is the cost of loss of consumer confidence?

I prefer to buy my meat locally from a farmer or raise it myself. But I also want to know that that the meat is inspected and that its not covered in feces and is safe to eat without contamination.
                      some even inspect it on Facebook

Comment

What is the cost of safety regulations in the big processors relative to all the other costs?
                        You have hit the nail on the head. When they process thousands of head per day, the cost per carcass becomes inconsequential. Spread those fixed costs over 1 head per day and it is prohibitive. As evidenced by all of the closed mom and pop butcher shops.

Comment

And as a consumer how much more are you willing to pay for additional costs? And how much extra do most consumers want to pay? Wouldn't you say this is a good old fashioned market driven phenomena?

Small players can't compete if consumers need and want health and safety regulations which they generally want.

Would small plants be able to compete if there were no regulations? Not likely to any large amount. This is all driven by the market and economics.

Comment

Are consumers afraid of getting sick from buying from small processors or is it a made up fear factor that Corp's want us to believe?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...