• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quarantine the vulnerable.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quarantine the vulnerable.

Can’t we just quarantine the vulnerable and let the rest do society get on with life. Put in safety protocols in high risk areas (nursing homes, seniors living centres, etc) and people with underlying health issues well that’s up to you to get healthier and or wear masks and sanitize properly. We can’t just shut all of the economy for this. 6 deaths in mb..... to think we can stamp this virus out is impossible. At some point we go back to regular life and when covid pops back up the vulnerable need to stay home. Not everyone else

Originally posted by Bowerpower View Post
    Can’t we just quarantine the vulnerable and let the rest do society get on with life. Put in safety protocols in high risk areas (nursing homes, seniors living centres, etc) and people with underlying health issues well that’s up to you to get healthier and or wear masks and sanitize properly. We can’t just shut all of the economy for this. 6 deaths in mb..... to think we can stamp this virus out is impossible. At some point we go back to regular life and when covid pops back up the vulnerable need to stay home. Not everyone else

Only 4 in Saskatchewan

Comment

We’ve delayed the inevitable in my infinite wisdom. We need to test for antibodies to get things going. Seems like our clueless leaders either want this to continue and are hiding something they can’t tell us or the tests that are out there aren’t reliable. Seems stupid not to just figure who’s got it and who’s over it. Tired of this stupid conversation already. We need real leaders with brains and balls not political games and scare tactics.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bowerpower;450719]Can’t we just quarantine the vulnerable and let the rest do society get on with life. Put in safety protocols in high risk areas (nursing homes, seniors living centres, etc) and people with underlying health issues well that’s up to you to get healthier and or wear masks and sanitize properly. We can’t just shut all of the economy for this. 6 deaths in mb..... to think we can stamp this virus out is impossible. At some point we go back to regular life and when covid pops back up the vulnerable need to stay home. Not everyone else[/QUOTE

Trouble with a simple solution is in the details. Tell me, if the answer is to quarantine vulnerable, how do you care for those quarantined. How do you staff the hospitals, nursing homes, lodges, home care without quanteenining all workers at these facilities too? And how does your solution prevent transmission at meat packing plants which is now a huge problem for farmers and ranchers.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmJunkie View Post
          We’ve delayed the inevitable in my infinite wisdom. We need to test for antibodies to get things going. Seems like our clueless leaders either want this to continue and are hiding something they can’t tell us or the tests that are out there aren’t reliable. Seems stupid not to just figure who’s got it and who’s over it. Tired of this stupid conversation already. We need real leaders with brains and balls not political games and scare tactics.
          I was told long ago the easiest way to get things done ....is to scare the boss ...use the unthinkable to scare him into what you want done is what I was told....and it worked...

Same blueprint is being used here ...scaring the population into falling into line????

Comment

[QUOTE=dmlfarmer;450724]
            Originally posted by Bowerpower View Post
            Can’t we just quarantine the vulnerable and let the rest do society get on with life. Put in safety protocols in high risk areas (nursing homes, seniors living centres, etc) and people with underlying health issues well that’s up to you to get healthier and or wear masks and sanitize properly. We can’t just shut all of the economy for this. 6 deaths in mb..... to think we can stamp this virus out is impossible. At some point we go back to regular life and when covid pops back up the vulnerable need to stay home. Not everyone else[/QUOTE

Trouble with a simple solution is in the details. Tell me, if the answer is to quarantine vulnerable, how do you care for those quarantined. How do you staff the hospitals, nursing homes, lodges, home care without quanteenining all workers at these facilities too? And how does your solution prevent transmission at meat packing plants which is now a huge problem for farmers and ranchers.
            There are millions of healthy people that are doing SFA and being paid ....clean up the plant and get a new shift into the slaughterhouses ...

There are plenty of countries that are using laid off or furloughed employees in agriculture .....not in Canada...we need the specialized garden planters from other countries...

Comment

Why is there transmission risk at meat packing plants anyway?

Seems odd to me. I see Brandt has been full tilt with 500 people manufacturing a day and Everaz has been full tilt. I’ve never been in a meat plant but why are they so susceptible?

Put on masks and improve hygiene I am sure they are fine too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ache4Acres View Post

Seems odd to me. I see Brandt has been full tilt with 500 people manufacturing a day and Everaz has been full tilt. I’ve never been in a meat plant but why are they so susceptible?

All the live breeding and grower facilities (chickens, pigs etc) are bio secure, once they hit the kill floor and become food is it the same?

Comment

Even healthy people may need hospital care to survive.We have had lots of hospital space so far.Open things up too early and hospitals may have trouble giving many the medical care needed to beat the virus.Think right off the get go it was all about flattening the curve.Thanks to everone it has worked.Kind of thought it was common sense.but then again I thought it was common sense that some disinfectants are not to be injected into your body.

Comment

Originally posted by Ache4Acres View Post

Take 12 guys that live in the same apartment, then travel together in the same vehicle, to the same job, share the same lunch room. It'll happen eventually. I couldn't get my head around it either till i realized the culture of those that work in the plants is not the same as mine. The plants change the primary language of the town's and cities they are built in after they are built. It's quite the disruption pre and post build. Googling demographics of Garden City, Kansas is interesting

Comment

Originally posted by macdon02 View Post
                      Take 12 guys that live in the same apartment, then travel together in the same vehicle, to the same job, share the same lunch room. It'll happen eventually. I couldn't get my head around it either till i realized the culture of those that work in the plants is not the same as mine. The plants change the primary language of the town's and cities they are built in after they are built. It's quite the disruption pre and post build. Googling demographics of Garden City, Kansas is interesting
                      Your right macdon. And why are they working there.... because Canadians refuse this type of work. You want a commercial meat industry then this is what you get. Mom and Pop butchershops will not handle the production of modern ranches. It was as much Canadians not wanting a career of cutting meat and high cost, low margin of local butcher shops as it was government regulations that have put the local butchershop out of business.

So to buckets claim there are millions of Canadians to do the work in the packing plants, where were they before immigrants were brought in to do this work. And why do you think that they are willing to do this work now, especially given the higher risk of contracting Covid at such plants? Here's an idea, maybe all the families/relatives of ranchers hurt by Covid and needing work should be the first ones to step up and man the cutting line. There is a win/win. Ranchers manning the processing industry. I am sure Cargill/JBS would welcome hard working farm families that know the industry from the ground level as employees.

Comment

Originally posted by dmlfarmer View Post
                        Your right macdon. And why are they working there.... because Canadians refuse this type of work. You want a commercial meat industry then this is what you get. Mom and Pop butchershops will not handle the production of modern ranches. It was as much Canadians not wanting a career of cutting meat and high cost, low margin of local butcher shops as it was government regulations that have put the local butchershop out of business.

So to buckets claim there are millions of Canadians to do the work in the packing plants, where were they before immigrants were brought in to do this work. And why do you think that they are willing to do this work now, especially given the higher risk of contracting Covid at such plants? Here's an idea, maybe all the families/relatives of ranchers hurt by Covid and needing work should be the first ones to step up and man the cutting line. There is a win/win. Ranchers manning the processing industry. I am sure Cargill/JBS would welcome hard working farm families that know the industry from the ground level as employees.
                        And then send who to mind the ranches.....Cargill and JBS??????

The problem here has been identified. ....government handouts to large companies like Cargill and JBS to build larger facilities and pUT the smaller ones out of business...

Then one guy catches a cough and everyone else has a flu....brilliant.....and the bureaucrats that promote this are long retired .....right Yerry????...

FCC has a policy to promote larger farms .....everyone has had a look into the future with what is happening now. ...larger ...bigger ....better.....at what cost?

Comment

I must not have been clear with my question for Bowerpower and others who agree with his solution to Covid is quarantining the vulnerable as to how care is provided to these vulnerable people. So let me ask you this. If you wife is a nurse and works in a hospital or seniors lodge caring for people vulnerable to Covid-19, then does she have to in quarantine too as long as she has that job? How does she prevent getting Covid and taking it in to a facility if she is not isolated from everyone including yourself if all that is needed to be done is quarantine the vulnerable?

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                            And then send who to mind the ranches.....Cargill and JBS??????

The problem here has been identified. ....government handouts to large companies like Cargill and JBS to build larger facilities and pUT the smaller ones out of business...

Then one guy catches a cough and everyone else has a flu....brilliant.....and the bureaucrats that promote this are long retired .....right Yerry????...

FCC has a policy to promote larger farms .....everyone has had a look into the future with what is happening now. ...larger ...bigger ....better.....at what cost?
                            Believe it or not, I agree with you that consolidation has caused a lot of the problems we are seeing, but it is not all the fault of government. There has to be a willingness to grow, and not just policy and money from government. So blame has to go to corporate management too. And blame has to also go to the general public demanding cheaper goods, no matter how they are produced or where or how which leads to crowded workplaces where social distancing is impossible.

The fact is, people do not want to work in meat packing plants. If we can not find family members of ranchers willing to work in a meat plant instead of taking up another occupation if they decide not to stay on the ranch for what ever reason, why do you think the general public should take up the call?

I am sure there are plenty of people unemployed right now because of Covid who are a generation or two removed from the ranch. Surely these people should be the ones to count on in your solution of SIMPLY hiring more? And what about all the ranchers sons and daughters who should be in school now, but are at home because of Covid. Given your solution of hiring out of work Canadians to man the line, what about using these students to fill the workspace. There, you still have the same people at home on the ranch and filling the workforce at the plant at the same time.
                            Last edited by dmlfarmer; Apr 26, 2020, 10:25.

Comment

"This isn't going away".

Two terms:

1; effective vaccine

2; herd immunity

Until either 1 & 2 are achieved or hopefully both....

Casualties there will be.... past, present and future.

And as usual, in most cases the most vulnerable.

When something new comes along is it wise to do nothing and take no precautions?
                              As time passes it will become clearer how this virus will affect the population.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda..... it will all come clear. Time reveals all.

How far are we into this? How much further do we have to go?

What's our goal? How do we get there?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...