• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question to grain farmers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question to grain farmers

With all the reports of pigs being killed and reduction of birds and milk being dumped...

Obviously the world doesnt need or want our food...

With the opportunity to reduce output which all of the above is telling grain farmers to do....is there a reason not to set aside same acres or does it all have to be planted to grow more to make less...

As a grain farmer I don't think our prices are in the right zone all things considered...

Co-op is reducing production at the refinery to keep their prices up...

Milk hasn't gone down even though as they can afford to dump milk they can't afford to give it away...

Pigs are being destroyed for the same reason...

Eggs being thrown out...

Lettuce being worked under instead of harvesting...

Piles of Zucchini being ground up...

Why bust your balls to give it away????

When you have the opportunity not to waste inputs.

All devils advocate questions but ...????

this might be good for us , bucket. the stuff getting tossed out is because it has no shelf life
    wheat from the pyramids still good to eat
    and the reason for the meat waste is because there is only a handful of processers left and there all sick

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
      this might be good for us , bucket. the stuff getting tossed out is because it has no shelf life
      wheat from the pyramids still good to eat
      and the reason for the meat waste is because there is only a handful of processers left and there all sick
      Its also because of government policy to create large job numbers by putting only one large slaughterhouse for the industry...

Just imagine if governments would have supported smaller slaughterhouses instead of helping shut them down because of union issues...I am thinking of Canada Packers in Moose Jaw ...while I now send cows through the auction mart instead of a direct sale to a plant like that ...its not hard to figure where the industry and governments failed.

Saskatchewan has lots of cows but no slaughterhouse for them...big market for cull cows since that plant in Moose Jaw disappeared...with government help to decommission it...all over a couple dollars in hourly union salary...

Dennis Laycraft gushes over Cargill's plant but overall for the industry it can be devastating when things like this or a sewer back up..... and slows production...

Not saying it couldn't happen in smaller plants but it doesn't close the industry instantly...

Cow calf guys will be hurt and government will ignore them the same way they did during BSE...and another consolidation will take place...

Look at how dire things got last spring when it didn't rain...Marit just stuck his head in the sand and went back to polishing is machinery for his auction sale...

And its not good for us when you ignore a sector of the industry....when you think your cow calf neighbour doesn't need help through some tough times ....how do expect them to advance grain issues later...

Cattle and grain farmers are being ignored through all of this and I am sort of tired out of using equity to farm during things like last fall's harvest while the US sets my prices and farmers there are still compensated by the government...

I find it odd that while dairy cries foul in trade deals they get a government handout to dump milk...

I find it odd that irrigation is a great thing but can't stand on its own after 30 years of government help...and they compete with the same crops with better chances of survival...

Comment

The only people who stopped eating are the ones that died. And we only lost a very small percentage of the population.
        So people don't eat "at home"?
        So people are "eating less"?
        Sounds like there's a processing and distribution problem in some sectors of the agrifood industries.
        Definitely a disruption of sorts but a little bit of innovative thinking might help.

Governments may hourd storable food commodities.

Grain Producers will do what they've done for decades and decades, plant a crop not knowing the quantity or quality they will grow or the price they'll get(unless they locked in a portion of production).

Look at the affects of lean crops has on Australia's domestic prices, but with an export reliant market like Canada's, grain prices probably wouldn't be affected much if we grew a bit of a smaller crop by choking production, even when Mother Nature does it for us....it doesn't always affect prices positively....so you get reduced production at an average poor world price. The general macro crops being less affected than the niche micro crops under reduced production.

Comment

yes , thats what i was thinking. how many on here haven't slaughtered and cut and wrapped their own meat ? i know i have and certainly can do it again , or maybe a business minded individual could set up a small meat packing plant ? and tell govt to shove all their laws and rules up their ass

Comment

Things are certainly not the way we would like them to be in Canadian agriculture, but perhaps we need to be looking forward to less government help. Trying to set up our operating structure to exist with more risk and uncertainty. There will be less money for Agriculture moving forward. Government is broke and public perception is that farmers are rich.

In Australia they cut out almost all farm support a few years ago and things have changed there dramtically. Perhaps we need to start thinking and planning for that to eventually happen in Canada.

For those close to retirement it might mean cashing in now.

Comment

Originally posted by poorboy View Post
              Things are certainly not the way we would like them to be in Canadian agriculture, but perhaps we need to be looking forward to less government help. Trying to set up our operating structure to exist with more risk and uncertainty. There will be less money for Agriculture moving forward. Government is broke and public perception is that farmers are rich.

In Australia they cut out almost all farm support a few years ago and things have changed there dramtically. Perhaps we need to start thinking and planning for that to eventually happen in Canada.

For those close to retirement it might mean cashing in now.
              Right after they quit subsidizing every other industry and put that crook Galen Weston in jail for price fixing...
              Last edited by bucket; Apr 25, 2020, 07:47.

Comment

Every day is like a Yoyo for optimism versus pessimism. I for one just want it to end. Meat consumption has been dropping in the western world. This pandemic might accelerate that trend. Beyond meat stock price has not moved much but I would not bet against it.

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
                  Every day is like a Yoyo for optimism versus pessimism. I for one just want it to end. Meat consumption has been dropping in the western world. This pandemic might accelerate that trend. Beyond meat stock price has not moved much but I would not bet against it.
                  The price of beyond meat burgers is higher than regular meat...

I myself like beyond lentils burgers.....if you get it...

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
                    BYND is much less than half of where it was in July of 2019. And at its bottom, it had lost 77% of its value.

Comment

[QUOTE=bucket;450616]The price of beyond meat burgers is higher than regular meat...

I myself like beyond lentils burgers.....if you get it

Lentils burger?

Comment

[QUOTE=alta;450706]
                        Originally posted by bucket View Post
                        The price of beyond meat burgers is higher than regular meat...

I myself like beyond lentils burgers.....if you get it

Lentils burger?
                        No ....beyond lentil burger is real hamburger....just punning...

Comment

The bigger risk to grain prices has to be the collapse in oil prices. How long will the US government continue to subsidize bio-fuel? The meat plants will re-open and people will keep on eating but at some point we have to start paying for all the handouts and bio-fuel subsidies look like a pretty easy target.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...