• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mom update

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mom update

Well she is doing really well.

Since she hasn’t been doing anything other than wandering around hospital for 40 minutes each morning for exercise her leg movement has I’m proved greatly pain manageable and actually best she has been since Xmas.

Was even talk she could go home if she doesn’t over do it.

Yesterday hospital rang and head honcho said to me she is adamant she doesn’t want to go home for fear o fall basically loss of confidence.

So they pulled some stings and there’s a semi independent aged care facility/wing at hospital but for what ever reason she was adamant I’m not leaving my private hospital room. Nurses took her fo a tour of aged care area, nup not going.

So wife and I went up and explained she had to go they need bed space but she had trouble comprehending it’s exactly the same just larger, a rec area a library a small kitchen and nurses will come 3 times a day and meals provided exactly the same and a alert button to be worn at all times.

Eventually we got her shifted . She had choice of rooms but gave her the best one with view of her house and garden about 60 metres away. Facility costs $52.50 per day at this stage meals medical support washing done can shower herself o nurses do it allocated exercise time with carer if she wants to go to her garden 6 hours per week.

Finally I rang her last night she loves it best place she agreed.

Now the scary stuff had maybe 7 or 8 photos in her hospital room , don’t want them, I said this is your new home give it a personal touch. Take em home she said. Anyway set em up in her new room only 10 minutes after this discussion, and she saw the photos oh you’ve been home and got photos thanks. Got to hospital and she asked how much rain I said 7mm.

We got to her new room looking out window still raining she look at the lovely rain didn’t know it was raining today. She had a account to pay and I took the bill to fix it up she must have asked 8 to 10 times if I had it over space of two hours.

Really really going backwards upstairs at a rate of knots my wife said wow she gone backwards in last 4 days and more since her fall Good Friday.

My sister can’t handle it estranged brother can’t handle so buck stops with me as they say. I’m hoping once she settles might arrest the slide both her parents had dementia one bad other not to bad, bit fearful of future to be honest.

Estranged brother a old age biker with chip on his shoulder smokes weed evey day lives interstate well well well has hand out for money. Beat the crap out of him when I was sixteen he was guessing 23 ain’t got on since I mean I belted the living begeebers out of him, stayed on farm for a few more years didn’t get one blended mom and dad for every cent, had another blue told him to eff off and has lived interstate comes home every couple years causes trouble moves on. Last 20 yrs mom and dad bought him 2 houses harleys cars etc etc doesn’t work. Anyway I’ve got mothers cheque book boy has he been at the pig trough last 18 months. Any way mum losing the plot a little said yesterday brother rang up for 10k normally she doesn’t tell me well I said no you need it for your aged care and said any money paid out has to go through me.

If got a testing time coming up.

Will to be contested for sure but he’s very very well looked after in it.

Biggest fear and moms is she loses the plot completely and just lays there not knowing who we are and lingers on for years and years.

Soy for novel and personal stuff

Unusual situation

Oh PS they cleaned out the old care facility in initial stages of cv19 and nobody there in cases hospital was overwhelmed, that’s why it’s empty, and they pulled strings as cv19 being relaxed everyday so they let her in there but until further notice nobody else allowed in there cause oldies don’t know social distancing etc. will be another three weeks before others can go in there at least.

Your story welcome and familiar to many I'm sure. Be proud your the one.
    Be stubborn too.

Comment

Thanks for the update Mallee. Just hoping all goes well for your mom and you.
      My mom had a fairly tough winter also but after quite a few Dr appointments and a few trips to the city I think she is on the mend. Or maybe it the warmer weather and sunshine that is giving her a little more spring in her step.

Comment

A lot if decisions and convincing makes one tired. You’s a good man Mallee👍✅

Comment

It's a rough time, Mallee. Your mom is lucky she has you and your story is very similar to mine, except for the bother part. Bro and I didn't always get along, but when mom went through her last 3 years, my wife and I looked after her until she had to go to a home. She passed peacefully at the age of 89 two years ago. Brother and I got along the last 3 years better than the previous 35.

Comment

Best of luck with your mom Mallee.

We had a bit of an episode with my Dad last November. Without intervention he would have died of cardiac arrest. Over a two to three week period they drained almost 8 liters of pleural fluid out of his chest cavity, blamed on congestive heart failure, now he is drained weekly and has a real decent quality of life again, for his age. How many people died of CHF that never had this therapy available to them. Now we are doing everything possible to keep him safe from Covid-19.

The doctors and nurses were absolutely amazing, unreal! Kinda feel sorry for them though because the system seems a bit broke. Too many times "directed" to use emergency. And what an eye opener that place is. Too many "lifestyle emergencies"!

The family really rallied, that was nice. Now we're taking care of him like he did us

Take care and be safe.

Edit in, I think his ability to come out to the Ghetto and look around is some of the best medicine for him right now, being cooped up all winter, then Covid...now he comes to check things out....from a distance! Was even driving around the fields.
            Last edited by farmaholic; Apr 23, 2020, 22:36.

Comment

Feel for you mallee. Both my Aunt and Mother in law had dementia. But as I said before, there were some pretty great moments along the way as well as lots of heartache. Your mother is very lucky she has you to take good care of her. Along the way we saw many residents in the different homes that rarely had visitors. We often spent time with them as well. They appreciated it so much.

The home my Aunt was in provided level 3 care. Which is meals, laundry, bathing, bathrooming , help dressing etc. It cost roughly $3,000 a month. It was located in a small town. The care was really good.

It is very tiring. We dealt with both situations at the same time. My Aunt was 30 minutes away, the mother in law was 2 hrs.

They do settle in and become comfortable in their surroundings. Good luck.

Comment

Spoke to mom going fine, commented so hot in the room heater must be on.

Had to have her supper out in dinin* area said to call the nurses some one will come and fix it.

I don’t want to bother them I will open the window.

Mum that’s what we’re paying for.

Rang hospital a hour later to see if it was attended to nup she hadn’t rang them would have just pu5 up with it.

Probably see her s7nday.

She got a wonderful garden fern house wet area veggie patch etc etc blood6 scum arse are nicking stuff out of her garden fresh veggies etc and pot plants out of fern house etc put a effing electric fence up or booby traps frigging grave robbers

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...