• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Establishment year alfalfa???

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Establishment year alfalfa???

Seeding more down, but it depends on whether I can get a cut off of it this year.

Anyone get a cut off the establishment year? Last years seeding was in mid June, and I almost think I could have cut it by mid August. If seeded late May, how high are hopes for a cut?

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
    Seeding more down, but it depends on whether I can get a cut off of it this year.

Anyone get a cut off the establishment year? Last years seeding was in mid June, and I almost think I could have cut it by mid August. If seeded late May, how high are hopes for a cut?
    Do you not underseed your alfalfa in the spring with a nurse crop like oats? Take the oats as greenfeed in early/mid August, then the alfalfa really takes off.

Comment

Originally posted by pourfarmer View Post
      Do you not underseed your alfalfa in the spring with a nurse crop like oats? Take the oats as greenfeed in early/mid August, then the alfalfa really takes off.
      I have had great results seeding it alone, establishes better imho, as there is much less competition. I think with a nurse crop you pretty well guarantee there will be no establishment year cut?

The reasons for nurse crops are not very applicable here at least, ie. soil crusting, wind protection, etc.

Comment

Seed it with tripper mix and take that as your first year harvest. Generally that way the new seeding is less stressed and you’ll get an extra year out of the crop on the back end compared to trying to push a cutting out of the alfalfa in the first year

Comment

Originally posted by dalek View Post
          Seed it with tripper mix and take that as your first year harvest. Generally that way the new seeding is less stressed and you’ll get an extra year out of the crop on the back end compared to trying to push a cutting out of the alfalfa in the first year
          I'm sure that every area has it's own peculiar weather patterns like rainfall, but this is what we have found to be very productive. Makes for a good volume of green feed and usually get a cut of hay off late summer or very early fall.

Finished sowing our triple mix/new seeding on Saturday. Snow on it this morning, LOL!

Comment

I have had great results seeding it alone, establishes better imho, as there is much less competition. I think with a nurse crop you pretty well guarantee there will be no establishment year cut?

The reasons for nurse crops are not very applicable here at least, ie. soil crusting, wind protection, etc.
            My primary reason for a nurse crop is to limit weed pressure, as you can't really spray anything.

I find there is a decent amount of alfalfa growth in the establishment year with a nurse crop. Certainly not enough for a 2nd cut, but it does take off.

Comment

If done alone , no problem getting a cut , especially with the rain you get
              If with a nurse crop , pretty tough

Comment

Last year our alfalfa was seeded at the end of June and was flooded repeatedly till freeze up. We then cut the weeds, alfalfa, and volunteer grain after it froze and got a couple of bales an acre. Can’t damage the plant if it’s cut after it’s dead.

If you underseed it we find barley is way less competitive/ stressful on it compared to oats.

Good luck .......it seems to be a gamble with the establishment lottery lots of years for us.

Comment

If black seeding you gotta do it early, waiting till June the weeds just grow too fast and is hard for the alfalfa to compete. I prefer a cover crop also, we mostly have used oat/ barley mix. But if you are wanting a more hay like crop the first year put a bit of annual rye grass with it. I've done that and the stock really like it and it grows good.

Comment

You know your farm and weather for your area better than anyone. It all depends on moisture. If you seed it with a cover crop and its dry alfalfa with be in trouble. If you have decent rains and get that cover crop off early by cutting for greenfeed the alfalfa should be ok in year 2. I have tried almost everything and it almost always comes down to whether I guessed right. Ive had some unbelievable establishment years and a couple of wrecks. Make your best guess and dont look back.

Comment

Thanks folks for all the input. I appreciate the real life results and experiences for sure.

Comment

Never get a cut off establishment alfalfa here in my area of the Peace, is unthinkable. Is still only 8” high by fall. Yes there are weeds the first year and I use to stress about it, but they are gone the second year when the alfalfa chokes everything out. First year is all root production, top growth starts the second year. Seed it and don’t even look at it until the next year is the mantra here. Takes 3 years to kill any Canada thistle patches under mowing/haying conditions. Like to go 8 years production on a hay field then back to grain for 2 to kill the smooth brome that creeps in. We only get one cut/year here too.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...