• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wage rollbacks - time to consider?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wage rollbacks - time to consider?

Everyday when coward of the cottage ums and ahs from our front porch, he states “We’re all in this together “. I can’t stand to listen anymore but that’s what is printed about his mumble..and the millions or billions of new spending

Ok, so some small business has lost 100% of their income. Some 80%. Most have lost significant amounts and some perhaps many will not survive.
    All the while public employees collect full pay. Sure, for essential work, it’s likely similar to always busy. For some, it is a paid home staycation.

What about an across the board cut to all civil servants, university profs and staff, city workers, RM staff, everyone with a pay check from a government. Like 20%. Even if it’s temporary til there is recovery from this economic disaster.

Taxes are going up. Way up. No question, someone has to pay. Should the small and medium size businesses that manage to sc**** by get hammered while public paid people go almost unscathed?

It’s something that should be considered. Better than layoffs for some and full salary for others.
    University of Arizona just did something like this.

After all, we are all in this together

Originally posted by Quadtrack View Post
    Everyday when coward of the cottage ums and ahs from our front porch, he states “We’re all in this together “. I can’t stand to listen anymore but that’s what is printed about his mumble..and the millions or billions of new spending

Ok, so some small business has lost 100% of their income. Some 80%. Most have lost significant amounts and some perhaps many will not survive.
    All the while public employees collect full pay. Sure, for essential work, it’s likely similar to always busy. For some, it is a paid home staycation.

What about an across the board cut to all civil servants, university profs and staff, city workers, RM staff, everyone with a pay check from a government. Like 20%. Even if it’s temporary til there is recovery from this economic disaster.

Taxes are going up. Way up. No question, someone has to pay. Should the small and medium size businesses that manage to sc**** by get hammered while public paid people go almost unscathed?

It’s something that should be considered. Better than layoffs for some and full salary for others.
    University of Arizona just did something like this.

After all, we are all in this together
    For example -

About 25% of the county employees here could take a 50% salary reduction and STILL make more than the average worker in our area.

Slasher time.

First - cut the staff by 30-40%, starting with the planning departments. Biggest, least productive expense GONE. Publicly announce the amount saved.

Second - cut remaining salaries by 30-40% while simultaneously reporting their remaining salary. Just dare them to complain.

Drain the swamp.

Comment

[QUOTE=burnt;449916]For example -

About 25% of the county employees here could take a 50% salary reduction and STILL make more than the average worker in our area.

Slasher time.

First - cut the staff by 30-40%, starting with the planning departments. Biggest, least productive expense GONE. Publicly announce the amount saved.

Second - cut remaining salaries by 30-40% while simultaneously reporting their remaining salary. Just dare them to complain.

Drain the swamp.[/QUOT

Executive salaries have been out to lunch for a long time. Mla MP same thing cut that and give that difference to lower end just so more have a sustained living it eat and have shelter.
      Sports salaries same thing

Comment

Just dont tell unifor!!!!!

Comment

Maybe is has to be presented as a "choice". Take the pay-cut or good-bye.

Wouldn't canning people, other than those close to retirement, only compound the problem.
          There won't be jobs for those people to go to anyway.

Comment

I think we need to be careful what we prescribe for other people, in case we need to take our own dose of the same medicine.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
              Maybe is has to be presented as a "choice". Take the pay-cut or good-bye.

Wouldn't canning people, other than those close to retirement, only compound the problem.
              There won't be jobs for those people to go to anyway.
              Whose problem? Let the entitled pricks try to live on $2000/month. apply monthly...

Oh, and BTW, as an ex-bureaucrat, your fat government pension also got slashed by 50%.

Force majeure.

If my corn contract can be torn up, then so can their golden parachute.

Comment

Wage cuts , get more efficient , cut fat , higher taxes , its the only way out of this mess
                Lucky for us we done the first three in the eighties and nineties and stayed with it
                Lots of people laughing about their “staycation” just oblivious of whats coming

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                  I think we need to be careful what we prescribe for other people, in case we need to take our own dose of the same medicine.
                  With all due respect, good sir, I have had my dose, as have many others in my business.

We unloaded a pot load of select western Black Angus heifers for breeding on May 20, 2003. I paid the full price I signed for even though they essentially lost their value on the long ride from Vermilion.

It was a very strong dose, the taste of which stayed in my mouth for the next 10 years.

And in those 10 years, instead of building a nice bit of padding, we eroded many years worth of growth on our farm.

I think that could be called a nasty dose of medicine that had a life-long side effect for the cattle industry. Particularly hard on the cow-calf guys since our situation didn't fall into the right bracket to trigger BSE compensation.

We're not talking about wage rollback here. We're talking about equity blasting.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                    Lots of people laughing about their “staycation” just oblivious of whats coming
                    Will it affect the two times a year all inclusive hot holiday crowd?

.......because one wasn't enough! And I can afford two but am $200 away from insolvency when the "first" paycheck doesn't show up.

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
                      With all due respect, good sir, I have had my dose, as have many others in my business.

We unloaded a pot load of select western Black Angus heifers for breeding on May 20, 2003. I paid the full price I signed for even though they essentially lost their value on the long ride from Vermilion.

It was a very strong dose, the taste of which stayed in my mouth for the next 10 years.

And in those 10 years, instead of building a nice bit of padding, we eroded many years worth of growth on our farm.

I think that could be called a nasty dose of medicine that had a life-long side effect for the cattle industry. Particularly hard on the cow-calf guys since our situation didn't fall into the right bracket to trigger BSE compensation.

We're not talking about wage rollback here. We're talking about equity blasting.

That's an extremely fair assessment of what is to come Burnt. Best estimates im seeing, 12 years to recover from this shutdown, maybe. Your personal situation with BSE is what the majority can expect.

Comment

Originally posted by macdon02 View Post
                        That's an extremely fair assessment of what is to come Burnt. Best estimates im seeing, 12 years to recover from this shutdown, maybe. Your personal situation with BSE is what the majority can expect.

Most people can't afford that!
                        What happens when the people who can still afford to pay their debts are in negative equity positions on their house and autos if and when asset values start to crash?
                        Selling toys and staying home from the two times a year hot holiday's only goes so far.
                        Eat KD?

Everybody just walks away from everything?

Too bad a virus pandemic will push world economies into deep recession that few people are prepared to weather...... because money was so f-n cheap to borrow that so many people are maxed out.

But no one was expecting to be jobless before this happened.... maybe they should have thought of the possibilities?

Comment

I want the bureaucrat that figured we should have jerry cans with no vent fired and his pension taken away.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy View Post
                            I want the bureaucrat that figured we should have jerry cans with no vent fired and his pension taken away.
                            Here Here!

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy View Post
                              Lol
                              I’ve drilled a hole where the vent used to be

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...