• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well it’s started here in oz

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may have mentioned this before but my insurance broker had a discussion with a rep from one of the big reinsurers last week about the fact that most business interruption policies won’t cover anything to do with this situation. The reinsurers expect to have their legal teams kept busy dealing with lawsuits over that issue alone for the next decade.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
      So I was thinking about my own question of why I am always defending supply management on here. Same answer as disagreeing with DML on oil overproduction. As self employed farmers we are all opinionated, makes sense, that just doesn't make us right all the time.
      So maybe we need to have faith that other businesses know how to run their business better than an outsider.

If your cousin Fred tells you that you should be harvesting because the sun is out even though its rained the last 4 days. Is that good advice for your business? Or if we give Woodland advice on his cows that he should only raise "steak cows" instead of ones that produce burger or stew meat, does that help?

Sometimes we just dont know what we think we do.
      I’ve got a few nice well “aged” steak cows out in the field awaiting a new home if anyone wants. I’ll stick with eating yearlings “usually crippled or hurt” and such though.

P.S. I love a good burger with all the fixin’s though if the tenderloin is gone already. Yum!

Comment

Sm is a sad joke.
        But the milk is being dumped all over.
        Blame the hoarders for making stores bring in limits

Comment

I give credit to all SM farmers, they have worked hard to get where they are. SM farmers realize that by working together as one they have created system which ensures them a guaranteed income.

The majority of them are family farms which is ok in my books. Would you like them to be the same as the USA corporate farms? Canadian SM farmers spend their money buying feed grains and forage seeds which many of us produce. Why farmers would attack other farmers for the simple reason they have a successful organization which ensures not to over produce is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
            I give credit to all SM farmers, they have worked hard to get where they are. SM farmers realize that by working together as one they have created system which ensures them a guaranteed income.
            Everyone and their dog wants to have a system that guarantees them an income. The question always remains: WHO should guarantee you an income?

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
              Everyone and their dog wants to have a system that guarantees them an income. The question always remains: WHO should guarantee you an income?
              I have a friend who runs a dairy.Definitely not a guaranteed income. But more of a perpetual machine that if you manage well and start to make progress, then things get better. Low interest rates help.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
                Who , but also why ?
                *** me this is not Cuba ...ohhh maybe it is now

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                  So I was thinking about my own question of why I am always defending supply management on here. Same answer as disagreeing with DML on oil overproduction. As self employed farmers we are all opinionated, makes sense, that just doesn't make us right all the time.
                  So maybe we need to have faith that other businesses know how to run their business better than an outsider.

If your cousin Fred tells you that you should be harvesting because the sun is out even though its rained the last 4 days. Is that good advice for your business? Or if we give Woodland advice on his cows that he should only raise "steak cows" instead of ones that produce burger or stew meat, does that help?

Sometimes we just dont know what we think we do.
                  Just wanted to acknowledge this very good and timely post, which I didn't have time to respond to at the time.

I'm certain we are all guilty of this to varying degrees. In a previous thread regarding posters from other provinces and other industries telling AB how to handle the oil and gas industry, I suggested I would counter by telling Newfoundland how to handle their fisheries, and finances, even though I've never been there, or been on a fishing boat.

A little more humility such as yours, in all of our posts would likely go a long way to improving the discourse.

We are all excellent armchair quarterbacks, but most of those who really know what they are doing in their own industry or province, don't have the time to come on a forum and explain it to everyone else.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...