• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Math geeks needed

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone is interested, here is the process, Thx Dr Dan:
    .................................................. .................................................. ................
    ARDS is a syndrome with many precipitating factors. SARS and MERs were specific viral infections, like Covid 19, that cause ARDS. It is common in drug overdose either from pulmonary edema or aspiration pneumonia, happens commonly after sepsis.

Management- aside from any specific anti-microbial treatment needed, is usually sedation/paralysis with aggressive ventilator and oxygen support as well as positive end expiration pressure to prop up the lungs. Oxygen only makes matters worse at high concentrations as it is directly toxic to the lung. If you survive it takes weeks of ventilator management to get the lungs healed.

High resistance in the lung impedes blood flow and creates secondary cardiovascular insufficiency. The lung mechanisms regulating blood flow to match air flow become dysfunctional and even with oxygen supplementation it can be impossible to get adequate oxygenation due to this localized V/Q mismatch. Many are so unstable you can’t even turn them or move them without catastrophic hypotension."
    .................................................. .................................................. .......................

Makes sense now how they are able to treat 2 patients with 1 ventilator, sedation/paralysis is part of the treatment.

This is a really nasty self perpetuating process and will tie up a ventilator for weeks.

Friend at Phillips told me they are ramping up ventilator production working day and night. As is Siemens, Puritan Bennet, and Bear. The greatest fear is simply running out of medical supplies since countries who make things like masks aren't sending them out (China) but keeping them. Tubing sets, IV lines, PPE, drugs, etc. And of course running out of medical staff.

Comment

Originally posted by dalek View Post
      No I don’t think we’ll ever know how many people get it. I know the local health unit here says they have 50-60 probable cases but only 3 have been tested and they don’t seem to be in a hurry to test anyone that doesn’t end up in a hospital. I would think that there are probably 10 people who didn’t get tested for every one that did
      WD9,
      I see Great Britain is developing a fast test to determine if people have the Corv-19 antibodies in their blood... which post pandemic will allow us to see where the mortality rate actually is. 1% is likely much closer to the realistic mortality rate... 10x that of the flu mortality rate. South Korea is early evidence of a much lower mortality rate than 3-5%
      Cheers

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...