• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farm Workers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farm Workers

Issue with vegetable and fruit growers and foreign workers. How do they get here for spring planting ? I am increasing my garden planting.

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
    Issue with vegetable and fruit growers and foreign workers. How do they get here for spring planting ? I am increasing my garden planting.
    Should be lots of un or under-employed locals available if this keeps going very long. Whether they have the ambition/ desire to do these jobs is another story. Our local bee guy relies on Mexicans too so I imagine he’s a little stressed too.

Comment

That's a good point agstar77, we don't use seasonal foreign workers(so it never occurred to me), but many of our neighbours do, and for some big operators around here, it could be disastrous and difficult to find other workers, especially if workers expect to be paid from the federal government for staying home. Not many are likely in the country already.

Comment

These are skilled workers not easily replaced. Food will be the next concern.

Comment

There will be an over abundance of high school kids and university/tech students available.
          There will also be thousands of adult workers off work from the oil patch or manufacturing.

I don’t understand how this will be an issue.

Comment

Let them run your million dollar equipment?

Comment

I’m watching a crew pick oranges in the field beside my house today. Yep probably Mexican but guess what they move from place to place nothing will change. Only thing they might not go home for July and August.

Comment

Canadians showing symptoms will not be allowed back. Don't get sick.

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
                  Let them run your million dollar equipment?
                  Is it common for temporary foreign workers to operate million $ machinery in the fruit and vegetable business?
                  Local English speaking people not in school or working not capable of filling these jobs?

Comment

Yea agstar but yet your boy will let illegals cross any hour of the day. Your real special aren’t you

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                        Yea agstar but yet your boy will let illegals cross any hour of the day. Your real special aren’t you
                        Trudeau isn’t taking the Coronavirus seriously stopping the illegal flow of migrants.
                        He is still letting in illegal migrants due to political correctness.....similar to waiting two extra months before stopping flights from hot zones.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...