• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

50 days till seeding any change in plans.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50 days till seeding any change in plans.

For us we are considering everything because right now it looks like a year break even might be the goal.

Fert is down a lot from last year and should be lower by about another 100 a ton across the board.

Corona virus isn’t my biggest fear it’s stupid federal gov doing nothing. It’s almost a year and a half since China knocked our knees off in canola. Prices are down from 12 plus to 10 minus and if we had a big crop could a 9 or 8 be in the cards. Wheat is a filler and barley will be wall to wall. Oats in our part of the world will be the cereal crop of choice. Flax will be added and lentils and peas will still go in.

So here is our rotation now

4000 canola down
    4000 hrs up as yields in the 75 range do work. Speed harvest.
    1000 peas filler like smf.
    500 barley.
    500 oats.

This is back to our normal rotation like we did a few years back.

What are others thinking?

Yes we still have 3000 of crop still out and that will make spring stressful but crew is in place.

It’s getting close for this big goose to fly north.

Click image for larger version

Name:	514B2BD1-A2A4-48DF-9C6B-70980B5F4014.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	769453

I also have a seed question why is red water getting shut down to this feed class. It was our second choice to switch to out of Brandon.

I believe this is being done to keep us buying seed not class destination. Look at all the great varieties and see where they are putting them. It’s a scam. Brandon will be next then farmers maybe will wake up. It’s us against all the parasites start waking up, they only care about the money they can get from you.

Comment

SF3 do you have a pic of any of your 3000 acres? How much snow? We are 12-18" deep over fields, swaths hard to see. Just a small area, 40 miles S starts disappearing.

Comment

Seeding down about a third of my acres. What I can’t feed I will sell. 3 bales at 70 to 100 works on a one time seed cost of 25 bucks. Will rotate through every six years. Toying with the idea of gasp, organic for first year after forage takeout.

Faba beans again. 35% extremely low inputs
        Canary a bit again. 30% low inputs on chemfallow
        And enough oats or barley to feed the sheep.
        Canola, no acres for the fifth straight year. Loving it. No parasite feeding.

If I could find a flock of hair sheep for sale I would buy all the ewes I could.

I want to have control. I am enjoying taking it back. Done with grain. I can’t get out fast enough. I see zero future in mass producing export needy commodities, multi million dollar iron for no reward, and the lack of elbow room because of cutthroat and greedy wanna-farm-it-alls.

Comment

Back to the ABC’s here again.
          Alfalfa- hopefully can make dry bales and sell it all
          Barley- hopefully can get it off dry but bought a bigger dryer in case of not
          Corn- hopefully some heat this year to make actual cobs for cow chow

I’m with sheepwheat and would prefer my critters to “buy” and process my grain at home. Plus only having one crop to harvest makes logistics much easier than when we harvested 4 or 5 different crops in the past.

KISS theory is awesome.

Comment

If this virus keeps everyone freaked out and they quit going to ball games and purchasing hot dogs I really dont think I'll be putting mustard in... guess I have about 60 days to decide.

Comment

Name:	1A4E39FB-D32D-4EB0-A136-588953164231.jpg
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	769454

Name:	2307A5FC-47CB-45BA-908E-D40966CAA251.jpg
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	769455

Well this is what my son sent Sunday night and he shelled some wheat

Comment

Name:	1A42E9E8-4284-418D-A18A-0D4AC3FC33D3.jpg
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	769456

This works for Trudeau and canada

Comment

Sticking to our rotation that puts us approx 1/3 wheat, 1/3 canola, and the rest split between peas, faba beans, oats, barley, alfalfa. The barley is new though, putting a quarter in after trouble with wheat last year.

I'd love to change my plans to add some critters to the rotation, but my 'day job' wouldn't allow that, and AFSC wouldn't allow me to quit my job.

Comment

SF3 I think u better get use to the phuck job we are gonna get on the saved seed thing. They want us to buy everything in the future that way they can control the whole industry. Hybrid wheats on the way and there ain’t no saving that seed.
                    We are dropping Canola acres and adding Flax and more Peas. Fababeans and Spring Wht to round out the acres. Sounds like most guys around here a dropping Soy out of rotation as well. Heard of a few more acres of Oats.

Comment

I get 2 crops in the same field this year. 50 acres of spring harvest canola, then seeded to lentils.

Durum, flax, no canola this year. Still too high cost and not stable enough market without china who will be off line probably for the foreseeable futures. Without people and pigs buying our canola from that country, there is no way those prices will hold.

We have very little snow this year, going to try an early seeded half assed cover crop. Going to drill in some lentils late April and then terminate and drill wheat in a month later.
                      Last edited by jazz; Mar 10, 2020, 17:21.

Comment

around here, oats will be up, soybeans up (finally some moisture last fall after two dry summers), canola down, wheat same maybe down a bit, corn up (cheaper nitro prices).

Comment

My view is this

Canola acres are going to keep going down due to cost.

Wheat acres will be down

Barley acres are going up as some are getting feed yields and sell for malt.

Oats will be up due to price.

Rest will be fillers lentils peas durum flax faba etc

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                            Rest will be fillers lentils peas durum flax faba etc
                            Lentils have peaked in the province. Guys are finding 4 year rotations are not enough to break the disease cycle. Some are talking 7 yrs now. Substituting chicks now because they aren't so susceptible. But picking chicks off the ground in November sure doesn't look fun. If there is moisture they never stop growing until a super hard frost stops them. They are super cold tolerant. You could drill those in April and probably not have to worry.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                              [ATTACH]5689[/ATTACH]

I also have a seed question why is red water getting shut down to this feed class. It was our second choice to switch to out of Brandon.

I believe this is being done to keep us buying seed not class destination. Look at all the great varieties and see where they are putting them. It’s a scam. Brandon will be next then farmers maybe will wake up. It’s us against all the parasites start waking up, they only care about the money they can get from you.
                              Saskfarmer,

The CGC lowered Redwater [to the lower class] because they said the gluten strength was not high enough to meet standards now needed by end users. in years of good harvest conditions Redwater could be acceptable. Bad harvests [extra weathering] tends to lower gluten strength more in some varieties than others.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...