• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday end of week wrap up on a Thursday.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poorboy View Post
    Woodland is it just you and your parents doing all the work? You have a lot on the go and must never sleep.

Good to hear your parents are enjoying some time off. I read lots about your mom in your posts, wasn’t sure your dad was around.

Do you have enough trees that you can someone to pay you to log it and then just push stumps?
    Poorboy my wife(best ever), twin brother (it’s like we think the same .......... most of the time) and an amazing hired cousin round out the crew here. My FIL comes out for some tractor time and working cows occasionally which is nice and greatly appreciated too. We enjoy what we do and “usually” don’t regard it as work.

The neighbours and us had a logging crew in a few years ago but they left after continually butting heads with the oil companies over crossing pipelines. I’m not sure that ripping stumps would be any quicker than what we’re doing now. They did 80 acres of ours and we left it after and the stumps took a long time to get rotten enough to run a disk over. No shortage of trees but the mill is 250 km away so the logs were only worth $2 a tonne anyway.

I am a blessed man. 😎

Comment

Nothing better than the smell of the ground as you break new land with a cat. It’s a high.

Again I ask where are all the liberals that voted for Trudeau. Are you happy with your choice?

Come on I said after a few months something is mentally wrong with him. Spoiled brat.

Liberals the cancer that ended canada. Thank a liberal.

Comment

Oh boy tomorrow could be a interesting opening?

Oil down and exchanges down.
        Grain down.

Comment

Fertilizer moving up??????Fuel isn't dropping at the same rate as oil????

Comment

The smartest guys in western Canada just may have their equipment in the Richie book .

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
              Poorboy my wife(best ever
              How many wives have you had, that you can rate the current one as best ever? Does she appreciate being compared to all the previous wives?

Are you far enough north to have a market for the poplar? Here it is rarely worth anything now due to the high cost of trucking to Whitecourt I believe?

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                How many wives have you had, that you can rate the current one as best ever? Does she appreciate being compared to all the previous wives?

Are you far enough north to have a market for the poplar? Here it is rarely worth anything now due to the high cost of trucking to Whitecourt I believe?
                I’m not Mormon........😉
                I have only had one wife and we both agreed that getting married (cleaned out the shop for the party) was way too much work. So we’ll find a way to make it work always. If she can put up with me, the cows, the kids, and my crazy ideas she’s definitely a saint and keeper.

The loggers on our place were hauling to Athabasca and paying peanuts for it.

Before and after.
                The only cleared ground on this quarter was a pipeline through the middle of it. Half done walking down the trees and then we’ll have to get the brush rake up there. Have to move it 12 miles but the loader is 30 miles away for loading bales ............... I wish our ground was closer together.

Comment

Anyone I talked to poplar logging as a land clearing option wasn't impressed, friend tore the cutting edge off his 7g in 5 year old stumps after being warned don't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                    I’m not Mormon........😉
                    I have only had one wife and we both agreed that getting married (cleaned out the shop for the party) was way too much work. So we’ll find a way to make it work always. If she can put up with me, the cows, the kids, and my crazy ideas she’s definitely a saint and keeper.

The loggers on our place were hauling to Athabasca and paying peanuts for it.

Before and after.
                    The only cleared ground on this quarter was a pipeline through the middle of it. Half done walking down the trees and then we’ll have to get the brush rake up there. Have to move it 12 miles but the loader is 30 miles away for loading bales ............... I wish our ground was closer together.
                    Next questions, how did you come to possess so much land that you can afford or justify having entire quarters unbroken, and how did it escape being cleared all this time, and why is it so spread apart( if it is any of my business, if not, I understand).

Comment

In my case your a peasant with no money buying worthless land and improving it, do I have as many feathers as the better off, no, but I turned nothing into something of value for my sons.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                        In my case your a peasant with no money buying worthless land and improving it, do I have as many feathers as the better off, no, but I turned nothing into something of value for my sons.
                        I am under the impression that there is no such thing as worthless land in this day and age? And I am not old enough to remember when there was such a thing, but certainly wish I was.

Here, more trees means more recreational potential, and building sites.

Comment

Just got the wish book RB auction guide. Wtf is going on.

Comment

I am under the impression that there is no such thing as worthless land in this day and age? And I am not old enough to remember when there was such a thing, but certainly wish I was.

Here, more trees means more recreational potential, and building sites.
                            This was back in 89, bought a bush 1/4 for 18000 and banker told me i was nuts. Had the iron and was cropping it in two years.

Comment

Real property eventually sells for/ converted to its highest end use value. Depends on location as to what that is.
                              In 03 I bought a half for $700/.
                              Brushed half of it to convert it all to agricultural. Market now close to $5000 cultivated. Maybe $2000 tops for uncultivated. I could be %10 over appraisal.
                              At the time it cost $200 across the half to convert. $400/ac converted.
                              Amount of land worthy of conversion here getting slimmer. Yellow iron probably up 3x.

Comment

Next questions, how did you come to possess so much land that you can afford or justify having entire quarters unbroken, and how did it escape being cleared all this time, and why is it so spread apart( if it is any of my business, if not, I understand).
                                We bought this quarter a year ago as part of an estate and I’m not sure why it never got cleared. The other quarter that we bought as well was cleared except the 30 acres of muskeg on it. My folks have owned a cat since before I was born and dad cleared many acres for the neighbours and built a lot of dugouts too. Yellow iron is required out in the sticks where we try to scratch out a living. As one trucker out of Saskatchewan said the other year as he pulled in our yard “shouldn’t they have left these hills for the buffalo?”

Land doesn’t come up for sale (or rent) much around here so we can’t be too particular about it or you’d never expand. There is the North Saskatchewan river just south of us and the nearest bridge is 18 miles to the west and 24 miles east so that cuts us off. North and east is a coal mine and wabamun lake. West is a 10,000 acre swamp and a large corporate ranch. Nothing is available or even an option till we get at least 10 miles east or west from home. Kinda feels like living on an island at times.

My buddy got bought out by the coal mine and moved 50 miles to the northwest and now owns 20 quarters in a block. I could only dream of moving cows without crossing a road, moving them down a road 2-5 miles, or hauling them 15 miles.

Don’t mean or want this to come across negative (since I despise those kind of people) but it’s the cards we got dealt way back in the “homestead lottery”. Just trying to make lemon meringue pie out of lemons. Much better than lemonade.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...