• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Alberta farmers are buying dryers????

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't depend on the terminal to dry your grain. I farm in NE sask, there are 6 terminals within 60km of me and they all have dryers. During a wet harvest they are stuffed full of wet grain and having them take your grain when you want to deliver it is difficult. Cost of drying is also a big factor. The terminals charge between 4 and 10 times what it costs me to dry. I'm on single phase and propane. When you and all your neighbors have wet grain the drying charges seem to rise, grain co s don't mind making a little more money off of farmers in desperate situations. Pickup an old batch dryer at an auction, heated aeration, a used continuous dryer or go buy a new one. It will pay for itself several times over.

Comment

Agree, major reason we started drying on this farm in 1974 is to be able to harvest at all. To keep grain in storable moisture, to gain a grade, save DAMP deductions. Then in 1985 natural gas, (thanks Grant), and on farm drying has made the difference between profitability or bankruptcy. Best investment highest return by far. Or to sleep at night. Of course all my results are based on a 46 year investment history, may not apply today. And elevators had NO dryers back then. As a side higher humidity in NE Sk. rarely allows drying with fans.

Comment

Bucket , i wouldnt ever consider farming without a dryer . There are benefits you dont even think of besides the obvious ones
        There is still the odd farm here without a dryer but they are few and far between
        Couldnt begin to count the times we wouldnt of went to the field if we didnt have one , only to find its dry after the wet bin is full
        It counts for way more than an extra combine
        We start drying on day one and it costs about half a cent a bu to dry in august
        Wouldnt have it any other way

Comment

yes I understand what you are saying and have thought about a dryer over the years.....but this was the exception for damp grain not the rule...

I think about it to maybe be able to save a grade if the weather was turning...the difference this year was the crop was still immature when we should have normally been combining....then the weather did not co-operate .

in 30 years plus all the years prior on dad's farm and his experience ...a dryer wasn't needed....but times change...

its something on the list....

Comment

IMHO when you are shopping tough or damp grain you are asking for bids on distressed product.

If the buyer can handle it, it's a buying opportunity because very few will bid on it.

It's like taking sick calves to the market because you don't want them to die at home.

Never ends well.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...