• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brokers not picking up grain in contracted time

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think they are having a problem finding trucks that will haul for next to free. Trucking costs are going up and I think brokers are not getting the freight prices their used to. Things are still moving here and money is being wired to account fingers crossed it continues.

Comment

Part of the reason we changed our farm is because of the complete lack of control. I have had four month waits, six month waits. I have had bankruptcy of brokers screw me out of money. The state of the way the system is, makes me shake my head.

One time, I was waiting and waiting months for an oat delivery to happen. No phone calls, no contact from them. I was outside one morning after a three inch rain during the wet years, and three semis pulled up. Said they came for the oats. Oats was in bins out in a field on rented land. Showed them where the oats was, they said no way. I offered to pull them with the tractor. They said no way.

Semis came from Manitoba, south of Winnipeg, six hours away. No phone calls, no warning, no time to get ready, no thought. Unreal.

This was the final straw. We bought sheep. We took back control.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
        Part of the reason we changed our farm is because of the complete lack of control. I have had four month waits, six month waits. I have had bankruptcy of brokers screw me out of money. The state of the way the system is, makes me shake my head.

One time, I was waiting and waiting months for an oat delivery to happen. No phone calls, no contact from them. I was outside one morning after a three inch rain during the wet years, and three semis pulled up. Said they came for the oats. Oats was in bins out in a field on rented land. Showed them where the oats was, they said no way. I offered to pull them with the tractor. They said no way.

Semis came from Manitoba, south of Winnipeg, six hours away. No phone calls, no warning, no time to get ready, no thought. Unreal.

This was the final straw. We bought sheep. We took back control.
        It never ceases to amaze me when the trucks are coming from 2 or 3 hours away why they give you almost no notice. Pisses me off. I rarely have on farm pick up because of it. But can't avoid it with fertilizer.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
          It never ceases to amaze me when the trucks are coming from 2 or 3 hours away why they give you almost no notice. Pisses me off. I rarely have on farm pick up because of it. But can't avoid it with fertilizer.
          So true. I made it known ad nauseum to the broker and trucking co to give at least one day notice. I said it was to my and the truckers’ benefit. Bugger phones to see if he can load that afternoon. Honestly when I’m done with this deal it’s the last time I deal with these clowns.

Comment

I avoid brokers as much as possible.
            Also trucking firms I don't know.
            Always a distasteful experience.
            Usually a bigger risk than people realize.
            Luckily, I can usually avoid growing the products these bottom feeders live off.

Comment

I am in bed with JGL for 3 loads of heated canola. So far so good. Got it within a few days of the contract, truckers giving enough notice and got paid. Knock on wood.

But on a typical year with good product, I wouldn't be using these guys.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...