• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phone Scam

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did they say which bank? (I can’t get that link to work easily on my phone. Irony 😂)

My Facebook was recently extremely hacked and it made me paranoid so I deleted my banking app. However when I e transferred my hay guy this fall my bank called in under half an hour to confirm it was me because it was “an unusual amount”. Maybe they wouldn’t have been so concerned if it was a direct transfer and not an e transfer? Either way it impressed me that they were that prompt.

Comment

I use a different password for every account.

I clear my cache and history after every time I deposit or transfer of pay bills online from my app.

I set it so they ask me a question when I log on the website.

Might help. Pars

Comment

CBC has the article on the Johnson family from Peebles this morning. Their farm account got totally cleaned out. Seems there have been other cases like this all over Saskatchewan yet this is the first we hear of this scam. SaskTel, banks, police and social media have a responsibility to alert people to these dangers. Sounds like when your number is transferred, all the info goes with it. Seems crazy to me.

101, can you post the article - please? The comments beneath the article give lots of food for thought. People put all their personal info, like birthday, all movements on Facebook - not good idea. 😳

Comment

I put port protection on ours Yesterday
          Lady at sasktel thought it was another carrier that ported the johnstons phone !
          You would think sasktel would be having meetings about meetings about this

Comment

Sure seems to be a secret who the bank was ?

Comment

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/family-farm-port-out-scam-1.5443580 https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/family-farm-port-out-scam-1.5443580

Not sure if this is the one you're thinking of

Comment

I am confused. If you called up and tried to switch your accounts to another bank on purpose, thats a hard process. The banks make it hard for a reason, they dont want you to switch. They would really quiz you and especially a couple hundred grand getting transfered.

I wonder if this is a bank thats not one of Canadas 5 majors. Sounds like a Tangerine or HSBC type move.

Comment

I keep only chump change in my daily accounts just enough for groceries and a coffee.

Any big sums in my business account get invested so to transfer those out, the scammers would have to first call the brokerage and get them to sell the stocks, then its a 3 day settlement to cash in the brokerage account and then a physical transfer request would have to be made. Lots of checks along the way.

CDIC insures deposits up to $100k I think.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                    I am confused. If you called up and tried to switch your accounts to another bank on purpose, thats a hard process. The banks make it hard for a reason, they dont want you to switch. They would really quiz you and especially a couple hundred grand getting transfered.

I wonder if this is a bank thats not one of Canadas 5 majors. Sounds like a Tangerine or HSBC type move.
                    You seem easily confused, yet you post continually like you're an authority on everything. It was the phone accounts that got switched, not the bank accounts.

Comment

Thanx 101. There were comments under the article this morning- now gone.

Can you trace accounts in foreign countries?

Comment

Just yesterday I signed up for a cel phone for my aged mother to use with a pay for use card. I gave them the number, they activated and out I went. Phone works. Easy-peasy.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                          You seem easily confused, yet you post continually like you're an authority on everything. It was the phone accounts that got switched, not the bank accounts.
                          but how does it work ? i can't even transfer money between two banks i deal with ? there is a limit for daily transfers on etrans ? how could a bank not saw this happening ?

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                            I guess I must be easily confused as well Grassfarmer, the first sentence in the CBC article: A family of Saskatchewan farmers is sounding the alarm bells after they had hundreds of thousands of dollars stolen from their family farm's "bank account" and they say they're not alone. So is that a bank account or a phone account?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                              but how does it work ? i can't even transfer money between two banks i deal with ? there is a limit for daily transfers on etrans ? how could a bank not saw this happening ?
                              Inter account transfers are unlimited. You can transfer a couple hundred grand from your savings to chequing and the bank wont bat an eye. Interparty transfers in the same branch are capped. If you want to transfer a couple hundred grand to your wife at the same bank or another bank, you have to do that in $5-10k daily increments.

There is no link to transfer Canadian bank to Canadian bank except for a bank draft or cheque.

If you went to the teller window with the personal data and tried to take it as a draft or cash, you would be flagged in an instant. They would ask for photo ID.

Same as large sum wire transfers, they would flag a system check immediately.

This sounds fishy. Main banks don't f around.

Comment

thats what i can't understand ? , fishy is right?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...