• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do we repopulate rural areas?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
    The other thread is an extension of the way I think.

So ppl, how do we revitalize rural western Canada if we keep this goofy commodity agriculture mindset?
    Should have focused on families and encouraged more child tax credits to promote larger families a long time ago .

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
      We need to be breeding! Splitting up our farms with multiple kids! Oh wait, our farms aren’t big enough to be feasible hardly for one kid. Lol
      It works for the Hutterites.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
        Should have focused on families and encouraged more child tax credits to promote larger families a long time ago .
        Zeitgeist my friend. More to it than money.

Comment

Has anyone else noticed that there are certain areas/centers that seem to breed more entrepreneurial types than others. Outside of the normal ag businesses I mean. My area seems very poor in that. I have admired other areas that have an entrepreneurial mindset. At least from the outside looking in.

Comment

Originally posted by grefer View Post
            Has anyone else noticed that there are certain areas/centers that seem to breed more entrepreneurial types than others. Outside of the normal ag businesses I mean. My area seems very poor in that. I have admired other areas that have an entrepreneurial mindset. At least from the outside looking in.
            annehiem, humboldt, st brieux, etc.

Comment

Is this one way to accomplish repopulation?

"UN asks Canada to resettle more refugees displaced in Horn of Africa" - G&M

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-un-asks-canada-to-resettle-more-refugees-displaced-in-horn-of-africa/ https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-un-asks-canada-to-resettle-more-refugees-displaced-in-horn-of-africa/

Comment

Maybe government could buy portions of land with your tax dollars and give it to the Natives. I am sure they will make some great neighbors for you guys. They could build a bingo hall in your town and sell fentanyl-tainted oxy like they do here. Real entrepreneurs. They also provide stimulus to the local economy through the consistent 5-finger discount method which keeps you tight-ass farmers spending your mouldy money.

Pretty sure I solved your problem. You can thank me later.

Comment

Originally posted by grefer View Post
                  It always amazed me the difference between towns, one would be thriving and growing next one 15 min away slowly fading away. No appreciable difference in natural advantages, workforce or govt regulation. My opinion always came down to attitude differences/leadership.
                  Last edited by VK58; Jan 11, 2020, 11:48. Reason: spelling

Comment

Reffering back to a good post by Helmsdale in the Canada's Population thread, where he suggests that bringing more people from warm low energy consuming countries, into Canada, a high energy consuming country in inconsistent with the concept of a climate crisis.

Taking that a step further, rural people are almost certain to have a higher energy and ecological footprint than urban dwellers. Do we really want to repopulate rural areas, in the midst of a crisis?

Comment

Why would you want to live where there is nothing to do or to go to? Said 99.8% of the population.

Comment

Originally posted by wd9 View Post
                        Why would you want to live where there is nothing to do or to go to? Said 99.8% of the population.
                        Would you mind telling that to all of my new neighbors, who have been leaving the cities to come out and do nothing and go nowhere, they didn't get the memo, and it is getting crowded, and elevating the price of land. Granted, they still represent less than .2% of the population.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                          Would you mind telling that to all of my new neighbors, who have been leaving the cities to come out and do nothing and go nowhere, they didn't get the memo, and it is getting crowded, and elevating the price of land. Granted, they still represent less than .2% of the population.
                          Only close to major cities. And even then they get tired of the work and commute and move back.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                            Yeah, you are pretty close to civilization. People don't move out to nowhere land. Maternal grandparents lived 30 minutes from hole in ground town, 90 minutes from actual town and 4 hours from city. Has not seen any new blood move in to settle there in about 100 years. That is the definition of rural.

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
                              Only close to major cities. And even then they get tired of the work and commute and move back.
                              We are two hours from Edmonton or Calgary, and one hour from red deer.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...