• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Market facilitation payments program

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newguy View Post
    And Ag stability works even worse if you have cattle to diversify your farm.I quit a couple years ago.
    I am not a mixed farm but when people describe exactly what you are saying I can't help but think with a mixed farm if one side fails and the other is profitable then you are in a better position because of being diversified.

My best example I can think of is buying 2 lottery tickets. One wins and we want insurance to compensate us when the other doesn't.

One's individual margin should be reflect both enterprises and be in a better position assuming both industries have been profitable

Comment

Bank every year what you would pay crop insurance premiums and in 10 years you will be surprised how you can insure yourself. How many farms ever have a total wipe out? I have been farming 30 crops and had 3 wipe outs....1989 drought, 2002 drought, 2010 drowned out. In 30 years have saved $2,000,000 million in premiums. If your are disciplined and diligently save the premium every year you can take care of yourself.

A young farmer just getting going....yep crop insurance is a good backstop because you may need the help as no saving no equity etc. But save and Bank the premium each year and like I said you will be insuring yourself before you know it.

There is nothing wrong with SCIC or GARS if you can afford it and makes sense for your operation.
      Last edited by Crestliner; Jan 10, 2020, 09:16.

Comment

On the other hand.
        Over a similar number of years.
        My payouts equal what I've paid in premium. Bushel loss, hail, price, wildlife, grade loss etc.
        I agree if you can do it, self insure.
        Gars etc will be gone.
        Trick is, I guess, is to get to the point you have a years worth of inputs saved up in cash.
        It's a breakeven, but in any one of those years could you have withstood a bad loss. In the first 10?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...