• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Houston ,We Have A Problem

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Houston ,We Have A Problem

The situation in Australia is horrific. If this is the future in a warmer world, we are in deep doo doo. For all those who say we don't have a problem , I hope you are right. Being wrong is not an option.

Ah Australia is a dry country and more people are moving out of cities into rural. This isn’t global warming it’s normal for Australia. Sort of like snow in winter in Canada and rain in June and hot in July. Nothing has changed

Comment

Well...it is an island....surrounded by water....

It always amazes me ...take the california fires as an example....they build million dollar homes and streets and infrastructure to get there and then don't put in a pipe that can slow the effects of the imminent fires that show up...

In australia which I know nothing about and maybe Mallee can explain ...what would a simple pipe or fire control guard cost as opposed to letting it get this bad...

Is there no way to create a fire break every so often....and maintain it to help prevent this?

My dad always had a fire guard of bare dirt between an old yard and the pasture just in case....and it did happen but the fire guard slowed it enough for the fire department to get there and put it out...

Or is it easier to just say climate change rather than thinking about preventative measures????

Comment

I don’t know any grain farmer in Western Canada that wouldn’t of wanted more heat this summer to finish the crops off earlier. In Canada a majority of forest fires are caused by humans through arson, cigarettes or camp fires.

Anti-GDP activists call these fires a “climate crisis”.

Comment

Well if the Americans have a problem (I’m down here and it doesn’t look like that is true The way people were spending for Christmas).

Yet when I’m back home in Canada people are suffering from coast to coast and hardship is all over except if your a liberal elite. Trudeau is basking in the sun with private jets going back And forth from Ottawa and we get a increase in a carbon tax.

Canada is not booming duck it’s a far cry from that.

Let’s look at home as Canada is going one direction and that’s backwards fast.

But what do I know the media says Trudeau is a hero and debt doesn’t matter all is good nothing to see.

The USA will have a phase one deal come January and we will have ?

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
            Well...it is an island....surrounded by water....

It always amazes me ...take the california fires as an example....they build million dollar homes and streets and infrastructure to get there and then don't put in a pipe that can slow the effects of the imminent fires that show up...

In australia which I know nothing about and maybe Mallee can explain ...what would a simple pipe or fire control guard cost as opposed to letting it get this bad...

Is there no way to create a fire break every so often....and maintain it to help prevent this?

My dad always had a fire guard of bare dirt between an old yard and the pasture just in case....and it did happen but the fire guard slowed it enough for the fire department to get there and put it out...

Or is it easier to just say climate change rather than thinking about preventative measures????
            Not sure if those are real questions or tongue in cheek ones.

First - California is in chronic water shortfalls. Plus the cost of a pipeline to cover that density of housing would be phenomenal.

Second - You do realize the fires in Australia cover hundreds of miles. What do you think it would cost to have a firebreak every so often for hundreds of miles. The Eucalyptus tree burns intensely because of it make up, I believe. Also the fires are raging with intense winds that would blow over anything but massive firebreaks. What would it cost to have firebreaks from Fort Mac to PA every so often?

I was down in Australia in 1983, which was another year with huge uncontrollable fires. There were stories of people trying to out run the fire in a vehicle and being unable to do so, they were travelling that fast.

Finally the Australian people were always clever resourceful people in my mind. If it could be done it would have been done.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
              What would it cost to have firebreaks from Fort Mac to PA every so often?
              Several mile fire buffer zones around cities like Fort Mac, Slave Lake, etc would have been a great investment.
              There is an industry that makes money off lumber that possibly could help out free of charge.

Comment

Australia is recording record highs ,whether you believe in warming or not. So what is your plan "B" if you are wrong? Or are you all better at predicting climate better than everyone else? I am not complaining about warmer winters but there are consequences that we may not like.

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
                  Australia is recording record highs ,whether you believe in warming or not. So what is your plan "B" if you are wrong? Or are you all better at predicting climate better than everyone else? I am not complaining about warmer winters but there are consequences that we may not like.
                  ADAPT, A-D-A-P-T, do some people not GET THAT? No amount of TAX is going to INSTANTLY put out fires, floods, heat waves, killer cold.... our present society would need to totally be destroyed to save earth? Every climate/temp/precip/storms has happened forever. We are insignificant to alter the atmosphere on this HUGE green/blue ball.

Oh ya 119 year record cold in India?

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                    ADAPT, A-D-A-P-T, do some people not GET THAT? ........
                    How would Western Canadian farmers adapt to a 10 or 40 year run of droughts equal in severity to, or worse than, were experienced in the 1930s?
                    Maybe become migrants heading to a more benign climate as zero-till isn't going to save you.

Comment

And what MAGIC wand is going to STOP drought? Or ice age?

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                        How would Western Canadian farmers adapt to a 10 or 40 year run of droughts equal in severity to, or worse than, were experienced in the 1930s?
                        Maybe become migrants heading to a more benign climate as zero-till isn't going to save you.
                        How? Like you have. Understanding the water cycle. Keeping litter and the ground covered. Mobbing vs casual grazing.

Zero till does help in fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
                          How? Like you have. Understanding the water cycle. Keeping litter and the ground covered. Mobbing vs casual grazing.

Zero till does help in fact.
                          These things help, zero-till included but I doubt any of us would make it through a 10 year periods with 5" a year less moisture than we have now. Its a tough enough job as ranchers to survive a 2 year drought. How do you survive on 15 bu crops instead of 50bu?

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                            ADAPT, A-D-A-P-T, do some people not GET THAT? No amount of TAX is going to INSTANTLY put out fires, floods, heat waves, killer cold.... our present society would need to totally be destroyed to save earth? Every climate/temp/precip/storms has happened forever. We are insignificant to alter the atmosphere on this HUGE green/blue ball.

Oh ya 119 year record cold in India?
                            Jesus H Christ , FJ
                            The hot in oz is global warming
                            The record cold in India is just weather
                            Gonna hafta sick chuck on you until you drink the kool aid

Comment

Point of conjecture worse exodus fires across oz who knows.

But the extreme let ignores stuff and votes against many seemingly logical solutions, recommendation that at least 5% of govt crown land forest should have controlled burns, to mitigate damaging bushfires & protect biodiversity but got voted down.

There are literally thousands of fire trucks fighting fires across oz and greens are suggesting they should be electric powered rather than diesel.

Some of these trucks have been at it for 4 weeks only stopping to refuel.

Other reports especially out of wa farmers conducting “illegal” back burns after being told by authorities not to saved many properties.

Fires in northern Australia happen every yea with onset of monsoon season nothing to see there
                              Here in my state it’s nothing compared to 1983 fires and apparently the biggie was in the 60s

Click image for larger version

Name:	06B3152A-1AAA-4D1A-B5EE-95E403F12749.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	769271

Disclaimer did a bit of research and sorry if I’ve mislead anyone that’s fires in last 6 months and many were hotspots studied it after I posted and thought well 25% isn’t on fire at the moment thought I had better clear that up
                              Last edited by malleefarmer; Dec 31, 2019, 17:22.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...