• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hay value in your area

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good thing I run old tr nh,s, cow dorks don't realize the nutreint value in straw.

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
      Price/lb depends on how big of a lie someone tells. Guys say their bales weigh 1800 lbs. Never seen an 1800 lbs dry hay bale in my life. I can believe 1400-1500 but 1800 is a stretch. Makes it hard for the honest guy that actually weighs the darn things.
      I know people that have 5 foot bales and they are 1800 pounds and for sale. I’m scared to ask a price.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
        Seems like 5 to 6 cents a lb around here. For good hay. Gunna seed a bunch more. Good money in hay!
        seed is cheap !!

Comment

Originally posted by TSIPP View Post
          I know people that have 5 foot bales and they are 1800 pounds and for sale. I’m scared to ask a price.
          Make a deal by the pound and weigh the first load before you pay. I bet you will find they are around 1100 lbs unless he made them wet as hell. I sell all my hay by the bale, but try to be honest on the weights.

Comment

Central Alberta prices for quality feed seem to be topping out around .12/pound. That is 10% moisture and stored in a shed though.

Comment

And you actually get penalized for making dry hay when you sell by the pound.

Comment

Originally posted by Hay Farmer View Post
                Central Alberta prices for quality feed seem to be topping out around .12/pound. That is 10% moisture and stored in a shed though.
                Where do I sign up?

Comment

12 cents/lb boy you got to love those cows,people dont mind 800/1000# bails but truckers that have to haul by weigh hate them,bigger operators only buy by the # hard to keep everyone happy.

Comment

That price is only to the horse and export market. The cattle market is closer to .06.

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
                      Price/lb depends on how big of a lie someone tells. Guys say their bales weigh 1800 lbs. Never seen an 1800 lbs dry hay bale in my life. I can believe 1400-1500 but 1800 is a stretch. Makes it hard for the honest guy that actually weighs the darn things.
                      You cant have much of a baler if you can’t make 1500lb bales. Our Vermeer makes 70 in 14.5% hay bales that weigh 18-1900 lbs. And yes that’s across a scale, not a guess. I wouldn’t even think about buying hay unless it went across a scale!

Comment

Originally posted by M9016 View Post
                        You cant have much of a baler if you can’t make 1500lb bales. Our Vermeer makes 70 in 14.5% hay bales that weigh 18-1900 lbs. And yes that’s across a scale, not a guess. I wouldn’t even think about buying hay unless it went across a scale!
                        Have a Vermeer and a new holland. The Vermeer can’t make near as heavy of bales as the new holland. Tried to turn up the tension on the Vermeer to make the same type of bale as the new holland, and ended up taking out a bearing.

I never said I couldn’t make 1500 lbs bales. I said I have never seen an 1800 lbs dry hay bale. Only way it could possibly be done, is if you drove fairly slow and give it time to give the bale a few more revolutions to make it tighter. But then you aren’t being very productive and shelling out more leaves. Half the speed to put a bunch of strain on your baler and bearings.

Comment

Everyone wants 10 cents here for good hay. Not much moving, I think there is gonna be a wake up call. Neighbour turned down an offer for 400 bales at 9 cents thinking he can make more selling a few bales here and there, to each there own I guess. After a few years of crazy prices anyone buying hay has sold their cows, not enough horse people left to use it all up. As economy slumps lots of horses looking for new homes too.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                            As economy slumps lots of horses looking for new homes too.
                            You obviously don't have such a thing as 'horse people'. No amount is too much for 'Precious'.

When the economy slumps, Precious gets a new bale feeder and hubby finds a new home.

Just have to remember the old horse lady motto: Spouses can be replaced, horses can't.

Comment

Originally posted by 15444 View Post
                              You obviously don't have such a thing as 'horse people'. No amount is too much for 'Precious'.

When the economy slumps, Precious gets a new bale feeder and hubby finds a new home.

Just have to remember the old horse lady motto: Spouses can be replaced, horses can't.
                              There is a video of a guy with a horse wife...I watched it somewhere I can't remember....young guy from Saskatchewan. ..but he had a decal addiction too.

Comment

I always heard horses referred to as hay burners.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...