• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wondering about mustard again.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wondering about mustard again.

Well, I grew yellow a few years back. A few things went wrong. It grew five feet tall, fell over, looked like a 50 bushel canola crop and yielded less than 20. I was at a mustard meeting in Saskatoon and their plots were thigh high post blooming, and they said it would yield 20 when I asked. I told them mine was thigh high at bolting time, shoulder high at full bloom. They could not believe it and said I should get 40. Had it priced for twenty five bucks, so I was all excited!

Then it had too many cleavers to be saleable. I’m done with yellow. Lol

Wondering about trying oriental or brown. Apparently they can yield much better. No volunteer canola issues anymore, haven’t grown it for four years now. Cleavers are also better under control.

In a wet area like mine, what is the yield potential? Like is 30 possible? Straight cuttable? Stand ok? It will be going on summerfallow, with medium inputs.

Just an idea I’m toying with.

I am taking hobby farmer tone here...

Don't do it....there is no money in it....

Get it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
      In a wet area like mine, what is the yield potential? Like is 30 possible? Straight cuttable? Stand ok? It will be going on summerfallow, with medium inputs.
      What are your other crops?

People who tried mustard around here back 30 yrs ago are still fighting volunteers that morphed into GR2 resistant.

Comment

I grew mustard back in the '90s when a local elevator was buying it. A neighbour of mine had been growing it and having good luck, this was before canola took hold around here. He told me he tried all three types of mustard and had the poorest results with yellow mustard. I grew Cutlass oriental, never had big yields, 20-25 mostly, but it was a cash alternative back in the wheat board days. Mine was always grown on summerfallow. Wouldn't mind trying it again.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
          What are your other crops?

People who tried mustard around here back 30 yrs ago are still fighting volunteers that morphed into GR2 resistant.
          Other crops are wheat, oats, canary, barley, sometimes flax, close to saying goodbye to flax, faba bean, alfalfa in rotation now too.

Comment

Other crops are wheat, oats, canary, barley, sometimes flax, close to saying goodbye to flax, faba bean, alfalfa in rotation now too.
            Try and get some hybrid brown mustard. Likely will react well with your moisture and yield potential.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by dave4441 View Post
              Try and get some hybrid brown mustard. Likely will react well with your moisture and yield potential.

Dave
              And benefit the seed guys...

Just buy common seed and put money into growing it.....

Don't fall for the canola thing with better yields....your price will go down....

Dave4441's processing fees don't go down.......

Grow more make less...

40 bpa at 5 bucks makes more money that 50 bpa at 4 bucks....it's just math.....

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                And benefit the seed guys...

Just buy common seed and put money into growing it.....

Don't fall for the canola thing with better yields....your price will go down....

Dave4441's processing fees don't go down.......

Grow more make less...

40 bpa at 5 bucks makes more money that 50 bpa at 4 bucks....it's just math.....
                40 cent new crop bids out there.

Comment

Dave
                  Definitely not going to use hybrid. It is no longer how I farm, and I ain’t sorry.

Comment

Definitely not going to use hybrid. It is no longer how I farm, and I ain’t sorry.
                    We had some side by side and the results even on emergence in dry conditions were radically different. I think the hybrid is the way to go. I don't believe seed costs are that much higher either but i don't know for sure.

Comment

We had some side by side and the results even on emergence in dry conditions were radically different. I think the hybrid is the way to go. I don't believe seed costs are that much higher either but i don't know for sure.
                      That's the way canola started too....it wasn't that much more but once they got market share and rid of older varieties ...what happened...

Keep the older varieties ...just in case....

Guys like Dave4441 promote higher seed costs....it's good for him....

Over produce mustard until it's worthless....dave's fees don't change. ....

Comment

I will certainly cost it out. But we need to keep specialty crops, well, special imho. Overproducing rye doesn’t help prices much. I also would like to retain my own seed.

Again, maybe costing is closer than I think, I get yer point. But I also get buckets point, and my gut worries a bit about it all.

Comment

I will certainly cost it out. But we need to keep specialty crops, well, special imho. Overproducing rye doesn’t help prices much. I also would like to retain my own seed.

Again, maybe costing is closer than I think, I get yer point. But I also get buckets point, and my gut worries a bit about it all.
                          Trust bucket....I am looking out for farmers in general....seed costs don't guarantee more money....I have seen mustard drop right off with over production....

Dave4441 is looking out for dave4441....

Facts....

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                            Trust bucket....I am looking out for farmers in general....seed costs don't guarantee more money....I have seen mustard drop right off with over production....

Dave4441 is looking out for dave4441....

Facts....
                            Trust Bucket? LOL, you couldn't hit the ocean from the beach.

Reality is that we are competing with Russia/Kzackstan and we better have the ability to be more competitive. They are going to eat our lunch in all the specialty crops. Hybrid seed use reduces the potential for GMO contamination for exports into europe. We will need to be competitive agronomically on output. Sure, in a perfect world we could lower production of everything and increase our prices but other countries will just take advantage of this. As a trader and farmer the highest margin for both farmer and exporter is when prices are thru the roof. Margins do change actually but if your world view is Moose Jaw to Swift Current you won't have any understanding of the real picture in these crops.

Incidentally, i have no involvement in the seed industry nor do I trade mustard. I use common seed all the time on our farm. I keep costs as low as possible, in fact i would put my farm costs/ac up against anyone in my region. But in a high moisture environment like Meath Park (which i think Sheepwheat is from), this variety could be really interesting. If I offer a suggestion because i think it would help him and then get jumped all over by someone who obviously knows f--k all and hides behind a fake name to top it off. An example of birthright being a horrible succession plan for any business.

Most exporters will not do a brown mustard contract without the grower using certified seed because of the tight tolerance in export specs to europe. Oriental less important. And certified brown seed is not expensive. And i have no idea what the cost of hybrid seed is and i have no idea if any is even available as i think the uptake has been fast this fall.

Comment

Pretty thenthitive guy aren't you....

And I know some things about mustard....but it sounds like you have better advice....
                              Last edited by bucket; Dec 19, 2019, 10:38.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...