• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vehicle Inflation

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vehicle Inflation

This is just nuts what the costs of vehicles have become.

In 2014 I bought a 1 yr old used truck, F150 FX4, near full load, leather all the buttons and bells, $34k.
    In 2017 I bought the wife a bare bones new explorer for $34k.

Today, the most basic F150, no upgrades at all starts at $34k. To match the options in my truck would be about $55-60k That same model of explorer now starts at $45k.

I have neighbors driving $100k Range Rovers and Navigators around like its nothing. I assume they can afford it but that's a lot of depreciation to be driving around.

A guy we know bought a crew cab 2019 4 x 4 F150 around May this year and figures it cost around $38K so keep shopping. Looks pretty fancy to me but don't know if it has all the options. Prices are dependent on programming which changes all the time. My brother's 2002 Chevy cost 36K 16 years ago according to the settlement sheet in glove box. so vehicle inflation really has not been much given that new trucks have more stuff. Newest vehicle on this yard is 2012 (bought used) so have not been in a dealership for a while.

Comment

You gotta keep with them. Can’t be left behind you know. What you drive reflects who you are as a person. It is THAT important you see.

So make darn sure to get out there and show everyone your lifestyle is as good as, or even better than theirs!

Keeps the cycle going so that demand is there, so that the car companies can keep making a profit! You simply can’t be driving ten year old vehicles, that shows your life is in a shambles and you don’t have it together.

And then you need to also ensure the same with your boats, your skidoo’s, your travel trailer, your quad, your side by side. It is especially important if you farm to do the same.

You just can’t have ppl thinking you are struggling.

Finally, keep our ancestors spinning in their graves. That’s my personal favorite part of this all.

Comment

There are some deals out there, but they are few and far between. Always going to be the bare bones units as everyone wants the fully loaded units. Majority of dealers only stock order the 'guaranteed sale' configurations in trucks, which for my local dealer is 4 door crew cabs with diesel motor in the heavy trucks. Pretty hard to get any truck on lot under 50k. But the prices on used units are right up there too.

Comment

I’ll keep on buying <$10k trucks and doing nothing much beyond oil changes and fixing flat tires until I run into something that takes it off the road, then buy another one. Seems like I can get 4-5 years out of them on average before they get to be as unreliable as a new one

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
            You gotta keep with them...You simply can’t be driving ten year old vehicles, that shows your life is in a shambles and you don’t...
            Oh ow, my eyes burn with bitter tears - the truth of your words have cut me to the quick, fully exposed the root of my abysmal standing in life.

BECAUSE I AM DRIVING A 2010 GMC WHICH WILL PASS THE DEMARCATION LINE OF POVERTY IN LESS THAN 1 MONTH!

Oh ow, again, but better than owe ow...

BTW, that truck cost me 34K new.
            Last edited by burnt; Dec 17, 2019, 12:04.

Comment

Originally posted by dalek View Post
              I’ll keep on buying <$10k trucks and doing nothing much beyond oil changes and fixing flat tires until I run into something that takes it off the road, then buy another one. Seems like I can get 4-5 years out of them on average before they get to be as unreliable as a new one
              I used to pick up $100 vehicles from the tow company that guys had left abandon on side of road to drive to and from work. Would drive them for year or two with parts from pick a part. Didn't believe in wearing out a new car trying to earn money pay for it. Have pretty nice vehicles now that I can enjoy them.

Comment

Your absolutely right Jazz. Way out to lunch on everything we purchase. Machinery has hit mortgage type prices. Totally stupid.

Comment

BECAUSE I AM DRIVING A 2010 GMC WHICH WILL PASS THE DEMARCATION LINE OF POVERTY IN LESS THAN 1 MONTH! I must driving in the hall of shame with my 02 and 05.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmJunkie View Post
                    Your absolutely right Jazz. Way out to lunch on everything we purchase. Machinery has hit mortgage type prices. Totally stupid.
                    You can still get a decent used combine for less than the price of range rover. At least a combine might make you a dollar or two. Yukon or Tahoe starting at $68k? WTF, it just has two more seats than a crew cab truck? You telling me it costs $30k more to extend the cab over two more seats.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                      BECAUSE I AM DRIVING A 2010 GMC WHICH WILL PASS THE DEMARCATION LINE OF POVERTY IN LESS THAN 1 MONTH! I must driving in the hall of shame with my 02 and 05.
                      So what does that make me with a 95 F-250 7.3? Turns quarter century this coming May.

Comment

a mid range v8 4x4 gm or ford truck can be bought for around 42-45K, but who buys the high end ones for $70-75K? Do they really have 30K worth of upgrades or options in them? Huge depreciation on those.

Comment

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post
                          a mid range v8 4x4 gm or ford truck can be bought for around 42-45K, but who buys the high end ones for $70-75K? Do they really have 30K worth of upgrades or options in them? Huge depreciation on those.
                          Heck there’s a place here taking wrecked 3-4 year old trucks and rebuilding them with big lift kits and a bunch of bolt on Chinese body bling and selling them for $80,000 on 8 year loans

Comment

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post
                            Look at lease buyouts. Ford thinks the high end trucks will be close in price to the low end at the end of the lease

Comment

Originally posted by dalek View Post
                              Heck there’s a place here taking wrecked 3-4 year old trucks and rebuilding them with big lift kits and a bunch of bolt on Chinese body bling and selling them for $80,000 on 8 year loans
                              Can't be much of a 'wreck' or it would never pass an Ontario safety. Unless of course they are forging safety documents.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...