• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grain Moisture testers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it’s fair to request a calibration prior to testing the grain samples or ask for the records as to when and who and what the results were on the last calibrations for moisture or protein testers.

You know, like they do with breathalizers.

Comment

The DJ mini gac plus is an excellent choice. Our farm has used one for close to ten years.

Comment

The 919 charts only go as low as 11 degrees. Some nights we were harvesting there was frost on the swaths, grain temp of 2-3 degrees, we were testing every load so we knew what was going in the bin.....NOT ACCURATE at those very low temps.

How are the dual (moisture and protein) testing machines that the Terminals use affected by very cold grain?

We thought the Terminals were testing high but when we took a load out of a bin and took a good representative sample, warmed it up slowly in a sealed bag, it tested close to their results.

Comment

Calibrated our portable to our 919, its always within .2 or so when I double check it. Hardly use the 919 now, portable is quick and convenient.
          Last edited by biglentil; Nov 27, 2019, 22:19.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
            The 919 charts only go as low as 11 degrees. Some nights we were harvesting there was frost on the swaths, grain temp of 2-3 degrees, we were testing every load so we knew what was going in the bin.....NOT ACCURATE at those very low temps.

How are the dual (moisture and protein) testing machines that the Terminals use affected by very cold grain?

We thought the Terminals were testing high but when we took a load out of a bin and took a good representative sample, warmed it up slowly in a sealed bag, it tested close to their results.
            The only tester that matters is the one the buyer uses.

Do you add on more moisture to account for the low temps? You will need to add on about .7 or .8 for HRS if the grain is only 2 or 3 C. Also if there is frost or ice mixed in a guy really does need to bring it to room temp and wait a few hours(maybe even a day) for a reliable test.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
              The only tester that matters is the one the buyer uses.

Do you add on more moisture to account for the low temps? You will need to add on about .7 or .8 for HRS if the grain is only 2 or 3 C. Also if there is frost or ice mixed in a guy really does need to bring it to room temp and wait a few hours(maybe even a day) for a reliable test.
              Ya that sounds legit to me......if you can confidently extrapolate the trend on the moisture chart.

Comment

As they age 919's develop a personality. You can strike up a conversation with them.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                  As they age 919's develop a personality. You can strike up a conversation with them.
                  Mine only understands my second language..... Profanity.

Comment

Do I understand correctly that moisture testers are not subject to weights and measures act? If it affect price paid ( using moisture to adjust the actual "dry" weight of the grain, or to apply discounts), wouldn't it also need to be regulated like any other metering device? I was under the impression that if you use a measuring device for commerce, it falls under the weights and measures regulations, and needs to be inspected and calibrated and meet certain standards. How is it that moisture can be exempted?

And if moisture testing is not included, doesn't that indicate that farmers have a case to be made that discounting grain based on moisture is not legal?

Selling feed grains directly to end users, always feels like Russian Roulette, especially when the price is rising(or has fallen since contracting) and using 3rd party truckers. I test every load for moisture and weight, and far too often get random surprises when the cheque comes, and often times it seems to be a case of throw everything at the wall and see what sticks, since if confronted, it turns out to be a mistake and is paid in full. What legal grounds does a buyer have to discount price based on moisture? Rejecting a load for being off spec I understand, but accepting but applying arbitrary discounts (not layed out in the contract) may not be completely legal?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...