• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you name..... ??????

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dave4441 View Post
    OK, I will bite. What was the first use of yellow peas in china? What are the current uses of yellow peas? What are green peas used for?

How do you stop the flow of genetics to a country like Kazakhstan? You cant. All they have to do is order a container of export product and plant it. You can't stop it. Incidentally, lentil genetics don't tend to travel well very far anyway, unlike peas which do travel well. Kazakhstan lentils trade at a discount to Canadian due to poorer split yields. Much of our pea genetics used in Canada came from Europe, our chickpeas industry started with Sanford and Dwelley seed from USA. We just imported seed and planted it. Canadian red lentil industry originated from seed imported from USA under crimson. Canada stole the green lentil industry from Turkey to begin with. Wiped them out and now our competitive pressure is coming from Russia on green lentils. What i am getting at is continued research from both genetics, agronomy and policy is the only thing that will allow us to remain competitive. Sitting on Agriville complaining nothing is being done is laughable at best.

Why the f--k i continue to care about this stuff is beyond me. I spent my time at Saskpulse and represented Saskpulse at Pulse Canada as well. Spent 40 days per year on board business plus about one conference call per week. Try making that kind of commitment while running a family farm and a processing company. It was mind blowing the amount of work that was being done and the staff at both organizations are second to none.

I had some difference of opinions on how the King Red and Queen green programs laid out but in the end it was handled how it was handled. Both of those programs have been a flop actually, they should have been broad release. Additionally i am not happy about the changes in distribution of seed that will happen in the future. Not happy at all but it is time for a new blood to lead at Sask pulse. The current system of broad release royalty free shot us ahead of the world and provided massive value to growers. Maxim lentils where responsible for putting massive amounts of income into farmers hands a few years ago. We couldn't have road that gravy train using crimson lentils.

If the seed program is moved to a royalty system i would guess that there will be a shift to a refundable levy at Saskpulse and you guys can get your levy back and just freeload on the agronomy and policy work that you think isn't happening.
    Another self back patter ...good for you....summed it up nicely with text from who?

Another Trudeaulike script reader.....

You and Lee Moats must get along very well...probably shared a few excursions together....

And were you on the saskpulse board for farmers or for your processing business to gain business using the checkoff expense account?

Comment

Saskpulse develops a variety or pays into it ...at the very least they should add up their investment and add a profit and call it their reserve bid before they allow private labelling to take advantage of my checkoff dollars...

Agronomy, variety , and production all have to equal the ability to move the product and find the markets...

They have to start look wider in their acclaim to be working on behalf of producers or we will all be out of business....

Comment

No one has identified a better financial return to primary producers....short term maybe but on a long term nothing....

When buying land or equipment ...the first payment is easy...its the ones that follow that might sink you because while the payments are locked.....revenue isn't forecastable, guaranteed nor stable....

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
          Another self back patter ...good for you....summed it up nicely with text from who?

Another Trudeaulike script reader.....

You and Lee Moats must get along very well...probably shared a few excursions together....

And were you on the saskpulse board for farmers or for your processing business to gain business using the checkoff expense account?
          I am the script reader? You have been whining for years and years that everything is everyone else's fault while you sit on your ass. You talk about going to one of the ADM's "if you can". You have said this for three years. Whats been so pressing?

Comment

I am the script reader? You have been whining for years and years that everything is everyone else's fault while you sit on your ass. You talk about going to one of the ADM's "if you can". You have said this for three years. Whats been so pressing?
            Well I enjoy being with my kids for one ...whether it be hockey or school sports....I have cattle....I don't enjoy winter travelling....going to meetings and coming home realizing I can't get the time back is getting old....

Mostly my check off pays for people to do the work ...I don't hire employees and then do the work myself.....do you?

I have suggested many good ideas to boards .....

As a matter of fact I had a good conversation with GGC chatterbox the other day...they cancelled their press conference when they had an opportunity to speak on other issues since the CN strike was over .....they didn't. ...can't work in environment when there is only one task to accomplish at a time....

They had no backup ready to speak on other agricultural issues...

But the CN strike highlights reactive thinking instead of being proactive.....and it's like that everywhere....

Get involved you say...to clean up the mess you have admitted to starting while you were there. ..no thanks ....but I will keep sending good ideas to the deaf board...

When you get cold called from the chair about calling directors....it's an uphill battle ....to change things....

Saskpulse doesn't run elections...they recruit directors...the previous election a board member resigned they day after nominations closed to make room ...that's not very much vision on a directors part....

BTW when I did go to the seed tax meeting in Saskatoon last December into a stacked room of pro seed tax advocates...that was meant for farmers not seed growers.....I didn't wait for the question period ...first I asked how more yield and better quality is going to be moved when the infrastructure isn't there and neither are the markets.....I was quite intrigued by how some of the government officials sat down to talk to me...so I had my time with explaining the cost of the flax phuckup to government officials and how it relates to the seed tax....the questions were who makes them accountable for dud varieties or closed markets ...did Anthony Parker listen.... I dont know but he got my opinion ...

And one other thing....I am not looking for fame ...I like to think my opinions are that of an average run of the mill farmer who really don't have a voice...which is why I remain behind this name bucket or dumbphuckled farmer hoping others will speak up as an average farmer. who share the same politically incorrect to the masses opinion.....and in my opinion is the silent majority....
            Last edited by bucket; Nov 29, 2019, 10:06.

Comment

Read the Science issue of the Canola Digest.

Comment

Originally posted by 6V53 View Post
                ADM flower mill at Calgary has expanded twice since the end of the wheat board.
                And prices for producers has gone down if you consider inflation and cost to produce so what’s the point of your message again!

Comment

2 Million MT yellow pea market into China (about half our sales) as developed directly by Pulse Canada. It did not exist prior.

CDC lentil and pea breeding program has had a massive difference affect on our farms.
                  Bullshit!!!

Comment

Looking back at our life before and after the entry of the lowly lentil, I have to agree with Dave. The day we were introduced to the Laird Lentil at 1979 Crop Production Show in Saskatoon turned out to be the most important day of our farming life and the lives of countless families in the lentil-growing areas. The breeding program at the U of S did not stop there and despite the fact that I have questioned the relationships that CDC has embraced with respect to breeder rights, they continue to deliver, year after year, variety after variety.

Comment

Less than 6 bucks for yellow peas??
                      Lentil prices and grading?????
                      That’s all back in 1980. But we re paying for today’s cost.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                        Less than 6 bucks for yellow peas??
                        Lentil prices and grading?????
                        That’s all back in 1980. But we re paying for today’s cost.
                        Bingo.....new varieties seem to need more inputs to grow....

Where is the higher returns to primary producers....

And if you indexed it like every other industry associated with agriculture we have been falling way behind....

A new macdon header is $125000...my first new combine in 1997 was $155200 with a pickup header...

A new combine and headers would be close to $700000.......anyone think we are keeping pace...

Even if lentils saved the farm way back when and you put money in the bank ...your burn rate on any crop is slowly putting people out of business....By government policy farms will get bigger and eventually need a very large handout ....

And they will get it because the shareholders are screaming or they are creating some transient jobs....
                        Last edited by bucket; Dec 2, 2019, 09:59.

Comment

OK, I will bite. What was the first use of yellow peas in china? What are the current uses of yellow peas? What are green peas used for?

How do you stop the flow of genetics to a country like Kazakhstan? You cant. All they have to do is order a container of export product and plant it. You can't stop it. Incidentally, lentil genetics don't tend to travel well very far anyway, unlike peas which do travel well. Kazakhstan lentils trade at a discount to Canadian due to poorer split yields. Much of our pea genetics used in Canada came from Europe, our chickpeas industry started with Sanford and Dwelley seed from USA. We just imported seed and planted it. Canadian red lentil industry originated from seed imported from USA under crimson. Canada stole the green lentil industry from Turkey to begin with. Wiped them out and now our competitive pressure is coming from Russia on green lentils. What i am getting at is continued research from both genetics, agronomy and policy is the only thing that will allow us to remain competitive. Sitting on Agriville complaining nothing is being done is laughable at best.

Why the f--k i continue to care about this stuff is beyond me. I spent my time at Saskpulse and represented Saskpulse at Pulse Canada as well. Spent 40 days per year on board business plus about one conference call per week. Try making that kind of commitment while running a family farm and a processing company. It was mind blowing the amount of work that was being done and the staff at both organizations are second to none.

I had some difference of opinions on how the King Red and Queen green programs laid out but in the end it was handled how it was handled. Both of those programs have been a flop actually, they should have been broad release. Additionally i am not happy about the changes in distribution of seed that will happen in the future. Not happy at all but it is time for a new blood to lead at Sask pulse. The current system of broad release royalty free shot us ahead of the world and provided massive value to growers. Maxim lentils where responsible for putting massive amounts of income into farmers hands a few years ago. We couldn't have road that gravy train using crimson lentils.

If the seed program is moved to a royalty system i would guess that there will be a shift to a refundable levy at Saskpulse and you guys can get your levy back and just freeload on the agronomy and policy work that you think isn't happening.

I HAVE A BAD NEWS FOR YOU! Those *****rs done it. I was browsing twitter and stopped on Secan's Post about "ILLEGAL SEED EXPORT"... well I'm still reading all articles but too many questions coming up to my head... They've got everything!!!! just no words...My dad still doesn't know sh1t about it....he will get a heart attack... http://www.tdfa.kz/manifesto?lang=en http://www.tdfa.kz/manifesto?lang=en

Comment

Originally posted by Ares View Post
                            I HAVE A BAD NEWS FOR YOU! Those *****rs done it. I was browsing twitter and stopped on Secan's Post about "ILLEGAL SEED EXPORT"... well I'm still reading all articles but too many questions coming up to my head... They've got everything!!!! just no words...My dad still doesn't know sh1t about it....he will get a heart attack... http://www.tdfa.kz/manifesto?lang=en http://www.tdfa.kz/manifesto?lang=en
                            Can we work for much less than we are now? Guess we will find out

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...