• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driving without wheels?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poorboy View Post
    I see a picture of a truck with no reference as to what happened to it. Does not sound like it links to the original post.

Hope trucking issues can get under control without a lot of extra rules and regulations. That will just make it so farmers can't afford to own or use a truck unless they are massive sized farms. Smaller farms will be pushed into tractors and wagons like in Europe.
    That’s the exact picture that came with the story.
    No way anyone with half a brain would not have noticed that trailer dragging like that. Yes things happen to everyone but no valid registration, no valid safety inspection, and no valid reason to keep driving like that. I don’t want idiots like this one obviously is on the road when my family is in the road do you?

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
      That’s the exact picture that came with the story.
      No way anyone with half a brain would not have noticed that trailer dragging like that. Yes things happen to everyone but no valid registration, no valid safety inspection, and no valid reason to keep driving like that. I don’t want idiots like this one obviously is on the road when my family is in the road do you?
      If the photo is indeed the correct one for the story then yes, that guy should not be driving.

There should be a rule where you have to have a vehicle licence for 3 years or 4 years before you are eligible for a truck or bus license. Perhaps proof you have driven outside the city limits on highways.

I still question if that photo is not mixed up with another story.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
        There would of been constant sparks from steel on asphalt as well the trailer weaving all over the highway or street.

This person couldn’t have used his mirrors.
        In my case when the Center tires and drums fell off the middle of the tridem group the axle remained suspended in the air. Road was rough with snow and frost heaves, the local very experienced driver did not notice these Center tires had fell off.

Drivers, mechanics and tire shops need better communication and checks and balances so if the tires are off that the driver (steering wheel holder) knows they have to be retorqued and a check off saying it has to be done. Lots of these double shift trucks are putting on 10,000 km per week.

Perhaps inspections/safeties need to be every x number of km or yearly.

Comment

Originally posted by poorboy View Post
          If the photo is indeed the correct one for the story then yes, that guy should not be driving.

There should be a rule where you have to have a vehicle licence for 3 years or 4 years before you are eligible for a truck or bus license. Perhaps proof you have driven outside the city limits on highways.

I still question if that photo is not mixed up with another story.
          Those pictures were taken by NewsTalk Radio for this story. I’m not sure why you are having a hard time accepting that the trailer actually had no tires on one side of the trailer?
          Last edited by Oliver88; Nov 27, 2019, 09:29.

Comment

Wonder how far it was drug with no wheels. Doesn't look like much damage to axles just drums that much could maybe have got damaged just tying to get stopped and off the road.

Comment

Certainly in no way condoning what this particular driver was doing...

3 sets of lost wheels is pretty unprecedented. Only really 2 options in my mind, Overtorqued, or only mounted and hand tightened. The first is impossible to find in a pre-trip, the second probably would have been, unless they completely hand tightened, therefore a hand check of lugs would have never found the problem.

One always thinks a "wheel off" incident is 100% possible to avoid. I would agree, if it was MYSELF doing all the work. Install with care not to off center, tighten appropriately, only tightening within 100lb/ft of final torque, and using a torque wrench in appropriate star pattern to bring all nuts to 450-550lb/ft total on an aluminum bud.

I would think of myself as a conscientious, and careful driver, but have had a wheel off incident myself north of wandering river on HWY 63 in Alberta. Had one set of tires replaced in Camrose, drove probably 250km, clicked off all the nuts with my own torque wrench the second time, and the wheels were GONE within 6 hours after that. Shop in Camrose had a novice tire tech install the tires and used a 1" high powered air gun to install. They hammered on all the nuts until they wouldnt turn anymore. So of course they "clicked off" with a torque wrench both the first and the second time. Problem was, they over torqued them to upwards of 1000lf/ft, and every single stud sheared off at the brake drum.

And yes, if I hadn't stopped in at a truck stop and done a quick walk around, I never would have had the slightest indication that the wheels were missing. It was dark, so trailer wheels were not necessarily visible in the mirror. The trailer, even loaded with dangerous goods did not lean in any meaningful manner.

Only thing I thank god for out of the whole ordeal, was that it dismounted on the passenger side and at worst gave a moose the scare of his life as wheels came bounding over the fence at him in the middle of the night. I would have been sick to death had they come off on the driver side!

MOST accidents are preventable, but not necessarily every single one is "driver preventable" as many would have you believe.

The fact that 3 sets were missing and the trailer had a noticeable lean? I'll just say, the driver would have likely served time if he was state-side...

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                Certainly in no way condoning what this particular driver was doing...

3 sets of lost wheels is pretty unprecedented. Only really 2 options in my mind, Overtorqued, or only mounted and hand tightened. The first is impossible to find in a pre-trip, the second probably would have been, unless they completely hand tightened, therefore a hand check of lugs would have never found the problem.

One always thinks a "wheel off" incident is 100% possible to avoid. I would agree, if it was MYSELF doing all the work. Install with care not to off center, tighten appropriately, only tightening within 100lb/ft of final torque, and using a torque wrench in appropriate star pattern to bring all nuts to 450-550lb/ft total on an aluminum bud.

I would think of myself as a conscientious, and careful driver, but have had a wheel off incident myself north of wandering river on HWY 63 in Alberta. Had one set of tires replaced in Camrose, drove probably 250km, clicked off all the nuts with my own torque wrench the second time, and the wheels were GONE within 6 hours after that. Shop in Camrose had a novice tire tech install the tires and used a 1" high powered air gun to install. They hammered on all the nuts until they wouldnt turn anymore. So of course they "clicked off" with a torque wrench both the first and the second time. Problem was, they over torqued them to upwards of 1000lf/ft, and every single stud sheared off at the brake drum.

And yes, if I hadn't stopped in at a truck stop and done a quick walk around, I never would have had the slightest indication that the wheels were missing. It was dark, so trailer wheels were not necessarily visible in the mirror. The trailer, even loaded with dangerous goods did not lean in any meaningful manner.

Only thing I thank god for out of the whole ordeal, was that it dismounted on the passenger side and at worst gave a moose the scare of his life as wheels came bounding over the fence at him in the middle of the night. I would have been sick to death had they come off on the driver side!

MOST accidents are preventable, but not necessarily every single one is "driver preventable" as many would have you believe.

The fact that 3 sets were missing and the trailer had a noticeable lean? I'll just say, the driver would have likely served time if he was state-side...
                Both rear sets of wheels were off the trailer before he started the trip. (Clue 1 that the pretrip was iffy). He set off with only the front pair on the trailer. The front left set fell off during the trip

Comment

I get really upset when I see someone mounting tires with a 1” impact. Where is the training.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...