• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvest

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvest

Anyone taking a stab at harvesting?
    Not much snow left here.
    Canola stubble has the most but that's not much either.
    If snow banked beside the swath....harvest probably not going to happen.
    Is there any standing crop out there "still" standing.
    ....not that the grain would be dry anyway.
    Last edited by farmaholic; Nov 23, 2019, 14:40.

My flax is standing good. Wet though. Humidity always over 80, usually over 90.

Comment

Got a quarter of standing canola done today. 14 to 15 moisture. Elk found it a week ago. Wouldn’t have been much left in a couple more weeks. Started on a 100 acres of swathed. 17 to 18. Fun, fun, fun.

Comment

Saw one guy going here east of Edmonton. Looked like standing oats but not sure as it was some distance off the road. Straight cutting for sure.

Comment

Gave up here and spent the last 2 days putting everything away. Melted a lot of snow last couple days but same pattern as all fall, almost gets there and then cold and moisture again. Too much ice now, we are done, large percentage frozen down till spring now just too many melt and freeze cycles.

Comment

Took the last three quarters of canola this last week or so. 18-20 moisture. Straight into the dryer it goes. 100 acres of swathed oats to go. Snow pretty well all melted. Will take a stab at the oats if it turns -10 or colder. Not sure how it will go, but gonna try anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
              Took the last three quarters of canola this last week or so. 18-20 moisture. Straight into the dryer it goes. 100 acres of swathed oats to go. Snow pretty well all melted. Will take a stab at the oats if it turns -10 or colder. Not sure how it will go, but gonna try anyway.
              in sub -10 frost does build up plant residue scum layer on shaker pan and cleaning shoe parts... not a big problem during operations this fall...but needs to be cleaned and polished after harvest.

D****r header had big build up inside d****rs on subzero straight cutting... can freeze up rollers and d****rs also requiring disassembly to clean out residue from frost build up... frost inside pickup belts too... steam cleaning needed

Comment

Sounds very challenging.

Rain, rain/snow mix is in our forecast here for today and tonight.

Comment

In the same situation as Hamloc here. Has been very warm, nearly melts all the snow, then snows again, just before it might be possible to even try. And I will try in any conditions, did most of what canola we did get harvested with snow on the crop and on the ground.

It seemed like it rained or snowed every day this fall, but I thought I must be exaggerating, so I checked the records. Precipitated every day in September, all but 3 days in October, and none were consecutive, all but 4 days in November so far. At least the trend is positive, might get 5 days without rain in December, and have a chance at harvest.

But November has been very warm so far, only 3 days that didn't have highs above zero, a couple of double digits, lots of shirt sleeve weather. Also lots of ice on everything from the freezing rain, and freeze thaw cycle. Could be great harvesting weather if not for the snow.

Ground not freezing at all.

I did hear that combines were going North of Calgary on Monday just before another big snow event Monday night and all of Tuesday.

Comment

Definitely sick of shoveling snow off of the grain pan and blowing sieves out.

Comment

Geezus I feel for you guys.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...