• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A day of Reflection and Remembrance.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by makar View Post
    Again from my barbarossa point of view the Russian movie come and see with english subtitles is what my family faced. Heart wrenching. anyone tech challenged I will send you a copy.
    Last time you mentioned it I did watch it.

Horrific shit happened in WW2.

Comment

Our ancestral village lost half the people in ww11, can you imagine, and we aren't Jewish. At least it wasnt burnt but the churches were burnt full of people.
      Last edited by makar; Nov 11, 2019, 22:10.

Comment

Just a thought , this don cherry thing would never happen in Russia. We were Cossacks and more than disliked certain people.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
          Just a thought , this don cherry thing would never happen in Russia. We were Cossacks and more than disliked certain people.
          Hey maker my dad was POW as mentioned he was housed with Canadians English South Africans and no mostly.

But at end of war say last 6 months despite communication difficulties they had Russians bunk with in there stalag. He felt genuinely sorry for them killed by Germans killed if they went back to home land real displaced people. Thankfully many found homes worldwide .

The POW rations was a real treat for them.

One of dads stories was the I think every second day they got rye bread one small loaf for 16 prisoners. The bread slicer had to cut it into 16 equal pieces catch was the slicer got the 16th piece very clever way of making sure everyone got some.

His best or one of his best POW mates was frank Creech from a cattle stud at llydminister I’ve visited a few times great people some of you cattle guys may no Bill Barney dec and mac

Comment

I had 3 or 4 aunts in the army.during the war in Canada.
            2 other aunts in the US army.
            No idea what they did.

A couple of younger aunts
            Went right from high school to munitions factories in Ontario.

And at least 5 uncles .one taught
            Tank crews in Ontario.
            Moms older brother
            Spoke of the constant fear of submarines , while in navy.
            Constant terror .

Dads brother landed on d day.
            Made it through , but sheĺl shocked a bit.

Moms sisters husband was a medic
            Going thru Italy. And had nightmares from that the rest of his life.
            The all said the same thing.
            War is waste and maddness.

Almost forgot, had another
            Uncle in ww 1 , he had been
            Gassed. Poor health after that . Was always in a wheelchair
            When I saw him.
            They all made it thru .
            Last edited by sawfly1; Nov 12, 2019, 13:49.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...