• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
    So did you get lost or how were you able to assess the Manitoba situation on your drive from SK to AB?

I don't think the Nov 5th MB crop report for my area is unrealistic.
    http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/crops/seasonal-reports/pubs/crop-report-2019-11-05.pdf http://https://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/crops/seasonal-reports/pubs/crop-report-2019-11-05.pdf

While on their site I found their FAQ about the difficult harvest interesting. Maybe explains why some guys have sat on their hands while others have harvested nearly everything.

Q. "I am concerned that the quality of my unharvested crop has deteriorated and is not worth harvesting. Do I have to harvest?"

A. "Start by contacting your MASC Office. An Adjustor will inspect your field. It may be helpful if you are prepared to harvest a representative strip of your crop. This will help the adjustor determine the yield potential and provide a sample that can be graded. The yield potential of your crop, including adjustments for quality, will be used to calculate your claim if you choose not to harvest your crop. In any event, it is your decision whether you harvest or not."

I'd agree, grass. It's fairly accurate in our area also.

MASC is a lot better equipped to deal with crop out... from friends in Sask, they get a big fat 0 until spring... Couldn't imagine having 30% or 25% of my crop out over winter, and zero revenue from it. That's pretty much the entire profit margin these days.

Did you ever get all your silage put up, grass?

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyr View Post
      I'd agree, grass. It's fairly accurate in our area also.

MASC is a lot better equipped to deal with crop out... from friends in Sask, they get a big fat 0 until spring... Couldn't imagine having 30% or 25% of my crop out over winter, and zero revenue from it. That's pretty much the entire profit margin these days.

Did you ever get all your silage put up, grass?
      That idea of harvesting a representative strip to establish yield makes sense to me. If you are only able to pick up 10bu/acre of a 50bu crop because it's stuck to the ground at least they know where you're at - it's not going to be better by spring so may as well settle the claim.

We never took our corn off for silage - had the chance a week ago but it's way too dry in my opinion. We have set up to graze it instead. Lots of guys still harvesting though and weeks to go on that front but I think they will hit trouble come spring. It will keep for now because its cold and dry but without ensiling properly I think it will heat and mold rapidly once spring temperatures come. People that calve in Jan-March don't have the option of grazing their corn right through though so are in a tough spot.

Comment

Rain blew through looked to melt some snow and then the temp dropped. Yep more ice on crop. So putting everything away. Should of got on that plane today.

Comment

Snow again at 4 Am. Yep were ****ed. Its time to head south.

Comment

Pairs are out busy “harvesting” second cut here. Glad we never bothered trying to cut and bale it when they’re doing it on their own. Even if they only get half of it I’m still happy. A couple of bunches are almost out of grass and will move to the corn shortly.

Some crop left out everywhere around here but the end of the drying is almost in sight. Probably a week if all goes good🤞Even got a cleaning date for the barley booked as long as the germ is “decent” which there will probably be a shortage again after this miserable fall. Haven’t hauled many bales with the ice and mud lately and the forecast looks to be more of the same going forward.

Actually looking forward to next year and already making plans. Feels like we’re light years ahead of a year ago and I attribute it to my Dad’s cousin who started working here a year ago. Nice to have someone that requires no babysitting and can solve/fix problems. Wouldn’t be done without him. Now to find a bigger dryer for next year...............

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...