• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disastrous harvest

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disastrous harvest

Local newspaper has interview with Larry Maguire, member of parliament for Brandon-Souris.
    Asked about top priority when he gets back to Ottawa.
    Says it is to watch very attentively as to what happens with Crop Insurance and how the AgriStability and AgriRecovery programs are going to work for the disaster that has taken place here.
    Have not seen response from other MPs or program officials.
    In spite of all the negativity expressed on Agriville, think we should give the programs an opportunity to perform before making major changes or ending them.
    If others have advice or suggestions, let’s hear it but please go easy on the vitriol.

Originally posted by Hopalong View Post
    Local newspaper has interview with Larry Maguire, member of parliament for Brandon-Souris.
    Says it is to watch very attentively as to what happens with Crop Insurance and how the AgriStability and AgriRecovery programs are going to work for the disaster that has taken place here.
    In spite of all the negativity expressed on Agriville, think we should give the programs an opportunity to perform before making major changes or ending them.
    If others have advice or suggestions, let’s hear it but please go easy on the vitriol.

70% of 70% is 49% of your margin.....you are either using a savings account or out of business pumping gas before any money comes to a farm...

Crop insurance may help on an individual crop....Agristabilty will account for that....

And agrirecovery has to be requested by the province and the Saskatchewan government is chasing the urban vote so they will not ask....

There are solutions but its hard to keep repeating when people will say its a good idea and never act on it....

Comment

Originally posted by Hopalong View Post
      Left 90% of our crop out in 2016. Did not collect anything from agstabmeintheback. Collected the initial pay out on crop insurance which amounted to peanuts compared to the value of the crop left out. (25% of 70% chosen coverage).

Aside from that, it was salvage what was left in spring and move on. Don’t expect much of anything in the way of coverage or payouts. You will be sadly disappointed if you do.

Comment

Shit years get thrown out on agristability but not on crop insurance....eventually they have to meld the programs back to what works...

Maybe a modified GRIP program....

Bottom line: ignoring the needs of primary producers will hurt the economy, industries and the country as a whole...

We have lost too much market share already ....and while primary producers step up to different challenges others are not standing up to protect our markets or the hard work farmers put into making it work...

Comment

Don’t worry about saving it scrap it it’s all horseshit none of those mps or mla s would work on a system of fractions of fractions to guarantee their wage because they wouldn’t get paid just like we’re not.

Comment

A crop insurance premium that is close to what hail insurance is. I’m $37k on 2500 acres for crop insurance and $17k for hail insurance at $250/acre.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
              Phone the farm stress line !

What the **** is the person
              answering the phone gonna do ???
              Like smoking..drinking..gambling.
              They will say QUIT IT...before it kills you..

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                Like smoking..drinking..gambling.
                They will say QUIT IT...before it kills you..
                Falls into the "ism" addiction categories.....Farmaholicism

I defined it for you guys before.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                  70% of 70% is 49% of your margin.....you are either using a savings account or out of business pumping gas before any money comes to a farm...

Crop insurance may help on an individual crop....Agristabilty will account for that....

And agrirecovery has to be requested by the province and the Saskatchewan government is chasing the urban vote so they will not ask....

There are solutions but its hard to keep repeating when people will say its a good idea and never act on it....
                  Do you think it took a room full of senior Actuaries to devise that formula that would seldom, if ever, pay out a benefit?

Yup 70% of 70% of an Olympic average with the highest and lowest year kicked out of the equation.
                  And they control the commodity value in the in depth Calculation of Benefits(COB).
                  THEN if you qualify for a benefit....if you happen to market your grain above their set commodity values.....expect a letter the following year for a possible repayment of benefits after they reconcile your actual sales, production volume and carry forward inventory records against your application form values.

It is almost the perfect forensic financial audit program.

I was told one time what the acceptable margin of error was from the application form numbers and the reconciliation numbers the following year. It's all tracked and monitored.....things need to make sense from year to year otherwise red flags get raised. I think both income tax forms and AgStab application forms require an Agri1 farming income and expense statement. "Coincidence?"

Richard5?

Comment

I have much less stress not being in any program. Scrap them all and guys won't be quite so eager to put their neck in a noose, thinking they will be okay even if shit hits the fan. Bring a dose of reality to the market. Everyone grows less and invests less in crops that no one gives a shit about it first place. If government gave a shit, there would be one-time payments for every primary individual in every market that Turdo ****ed up the last year. $20,000 will cover my beef losses from that chink **** being arrested in Vancouver. But still waiting on my BSE payment which is well over 10x that, so I don't hold much hope.

Burn it all. Burn it all to the ****ing ground.

Comment

Originally posted by 15444 View Post
                      I have much less stress not being in any program. Scrap them all and guys won't be quite so eager to put their neck in a noose, thinking they will be okay even if shit hits the fan. Bring a dose of reality to the market. Everyone grows less and invests less in crops that no one gives a shit about it first place. If government gave a shit, there would be one-time payments for every primary individual in every market that Turdo ****ed up the last year. $20,000 will cover my beef losses from that chink **** being arrested in Vancouver. But still waiting on my BSE payment which is well over 10x that, so I don't hold much hope.

But but but...what about all the jobs?
                      Then tell us what you really think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by 15444 View Post

excellent points....

Comment

I sure wouldn't want to rely on Crop Insurance, AgStabbed-in-the-back, or AgInvest-less to ensure the viability of my operation!

Anyone who "farmed for Insurance" is out of the business here, they unintentionally wean themselves from the farm the more dependent they become on income from insurance programs.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                            Do you think it took a room full of senior Actuaries to devise that formula that would seldom, if ever, pay out a benefit?

It is almost the perfect forensic financial audit program.
                            One has to wonder which is more valuable to the government?
                            1) providing financial backstops?
                            Or
                            2) the detailed look into the industry that this MASSIVE amount of multi-year data provides?

Also not to be overlooked is the sheer number of government jobs that can be pork-barreled into politically important regions associated with this programs administration.

If it was #1, the trigger point would be more realistic.

If its #2, combined with the "make work" aspect, the trigger point is exactly where they want it..

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...