• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soybeans Supposed to Look Like This?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soybeans Supposed to Look Like This?

https://apple.news/AzjvW6ug-S7-tDYMvMg5Lew

These soybeans being harvested in Blair Nebraska this October look like they are 3 feet tall and fully podded. Soybeans here at test plots are about 4 inches tall and some pods but not harvested last week. I haven’t been by this week. I gotta learn to hot link. Maybe my finger is too cold.

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
    https://apple.news/AzjvW6ug-S7-tDYMvMg5Lew https://apple.news/AzjvW6ug-S7-tDYMvMg5Lew

These soybeans being harvested in Blair Nebraska this October look like they are 3 feet tall and fully podded. Soybeans here at test plots are about 4 inches tall and some pods but not harvested last week. I haven’t been by this week. I gotta learn to hot link. Maybe my finger is too cold.
    https://apple.news/AzjvW6ug-S7-tDYMvMg5Lew https://apple.news/AzjvW6ug-S7-tDYMvMg5Lew

Comment

there you go
      I'm still pretty excited , thats 3 successful light ups in a row!

Comment

TY Case. Gotta sneak some of that seed over the border 👍 It’s dangerous when I start thinking, but anyway, why would we plant any Canadian seed if there’s a seed tax on it? I can get seed anywhere in the world.

Comment

These are our soybeans from last year ..

This is the soybeans from this fall ...

Unfortunately frost got us both years before full maturity. Last year Sept 5th , this year August 18th shut them down . Both years were under 25bus/ac .
          Will be relegated back to plots next year just to keep up seeing new varieties. Until we get out of this solar minimum, they will have a tough time being a viable crop at the expense they are to grow . Varieties are getting earlier no doubt but weather was far too cool at nights practically all summer to remotely get yields plus lack of any real rain here . That August frost also hit many canola crops here and north east so not much one can do .

Comment

unfortunately , you will be old , and i will be fertilizer when we get out of this solar mininum

Comment

Yup Pharaoh, I was going to say rain and GDD needed for soybeans. GDD... something these higher latitudes will struggle with on higher yielding long season soys.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                Yup Pharaoh, I was going to say rain and GDD needed for soybeans. GDD... something these higher latitudes will struggle with on higher yielding long season soys.
                Yup , something we struggle with here for sure .
                The new early soybeans in the plots made maturity but yield was not there.
                Was interesting though there was canola that froze here and the earliest soybeans never. So maturity is there now I believe but climate and
                22 bus/ ac still is still not even close .
                We did do a trail though with bare beans , our own inoculation beside the full bore seed treatment and pre inoculated seed. It was $30/ac cheaper and yield was 3 bus more .
                But still not enough yet.
                Will try the 3 new early soybeans in a 60 ac plot next year just to see. Will be a great rotational crop if they can get a steady 40 bus without costing too much to grow .
                But that may be a ways yet .

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                  Yup , something we struggle with here for sure .
                  The new early soybeans in the plots made maturity but yield was not there.
                  Was interesting though there was canola that froze here and the earliest soybeans never. So maturity is there now I believe but climate and
                  22 bus/ ac still is still not even close .
                  We did do a trail though with bare beans , our own inoculation beside the full bore seed treatment and pre inoculated seed. It was $30/ac cheaper and yield was 3 bus more .
                  But still not enough yet.
                  Will try the 3 new early soybeans in a 60 ac plot next year just to see. Will be a great rotational crop if they can get a steady 40 bus without costing too much to grow .
                  But that may be a ways yet .
                  High P and K requirements for yield and nutrient maintenance. So beside innoculant and seed treatment not cheap to grow. A steady 40 will require that August rain.

Comment

What soybean yield do you need on your farm to equal a net return of lets say 45 bpa canola? After the seed is paid for there isnt a lot of input costs.
                    Last edited by MBgrower; Nov 6, 2019, 18:40.

Comment

If the USA doent have a seed tax, will it be possible for W.Canadian farmers buy USA seed? i assume the dekalbs, BASFs, Bayer will like advise their retailers not to sell to Canadians for this reason.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...