• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farming Systems

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farming Systems

Had agro visit today planning discussing 2020.

Got onto high input versus low input in low rain fall areas.

I’m kinda almost medium input actually just enough of everything to get average crops but thinking might cut back on fert etc a bit.

He said should be fine for one or two years.

Can you guys do that there or productions drops dramatically say 25%

And ps we have ever present frost and drought risk.

And pps not going organic or anything just wondering if full throttle systems are as good as they say in short and long term.

I think weather is the limiting factor in the Slum of the Ghetto.

You can give it all you want, no rain.....not much grain. Not enough rain...not much grain.

Too much rain....causes problems too, drown out spots, poor crops in saturated areas and disease issues.

Too hot dry and windy can cause establishment issues at seeding.

We don't do this but split applying fert seems like a good idea. If it can use it give it more. But we are all in at seeding time.

Any other pesticide app is always yayed or nayed at the time of application.

All of those above comments are obviously only production based decisions.

How profitable is giving it everything? I mean for the farmer paying the bills, lol.

Comment

"All in" plan every year means once in a while the plan will blow up.

Lots of guys go all in on inputs but are not really risking the farm. They are socking profits away in land and cash, ready for a rainy day or spreading risk. Excellent farmers
      Whether you choose low, medium or high input the key to planning another year is to have a reserve or access to cheap cash in the event of a disaster. Dryland farming gives you 2 out of 10 years with high profits. The other 8, not so much.

From a strictly agronomic point of view, I like the medium input model. Pay attention to detail and you can make 2 out of 10 years into 5 out of 10. You will leave some on the table at times but you will still have a very profitable year when the weather cooperates because you have kept expenses in check

Comment

I once was a high max input guy. It was working. And then things got wet. A few years of pathetic crops but with high inputs was near career ending.

I now am a medium input guy. Changed my crop mix. Included summerfallow. GASP!!! Lol Controlling weeds, controlling costs better. No more ridiculously high input canola. I am now in control.

Bottom line is everyone is in a different boat. Some guys with piles of paid for land can afford to max out regardless of consequences. Some guys choose to middle of the road it no matter what. Some spray 9 times a year for fungi insects, weeds that aren’t there, and it does not affect them because of deep pockets.

To each his own. Everybody is gunna have a different method for their madness, all farms are not in the same spot! I can see myself going back to higher inputs if I can get a few reasonable years in a row weather wise. High inputs can convert more sins and mistakes. I can also see myself going real low input as the flock grows and I seed more land to hay for feed and for sale.

Comment

Sometimes all well laid out plans get right phucked by mother nature....this happens to be one of those years.......

Comment

All very good points.
            I need the last bushel so I shoot for it.
            Within reason.
            I no longer mess with $7/ac extra crap.
            I've learned if the foundation isn't right you've got nothing to build up.
            Seed placement, densities, macro fert ratios and placement most important.
            Cost of sales numbers can be high for reasons other than that last pound of N.
            There is no money in weeds so we spend.
            But again within reason. Good products applied properly.
            We're starting to Fung most years.
            Case by case assessment there. Always leave a test strip.
            Far easier for us to put all fert on at seeding. Too much going on with the sprayer after that.
            You still have to watch. And benchmarking difficult. How do you assess your performance with others when no access to their ratios??
            But my fixed costs so high that if it came down to 5 or 10 lbs more N, I apply it. Other places to look for trim.

So peaceful reaching the age where you walk by all the fairy dust booths at the trade show.

Comment

$9 canola and $5 wheat will severely decrease the fairy dust/liquid miracle booth sales.

They were starting to take up too much space at farm shows.

Comment

We have backed off higher inputs and extras the past two years . Being continually short on rain fall during critical times does not pay for high input farming. 4 years in a row with below normal rain from May until late July, one can not justify high inputs. Financial trouble would be the only result of that .
                We focus now on what it takes to grow a decent crop on low rainfall . If weather patterns change and we actually get decent rain in June or early July we can always top dress fairly quick to take advantage of that . That has not happened in three years so money best not spent for higher yields of the start, you may as well just shoot for what Mother Nature is providing or not at that critical time period .

Comment

I try Good weed control but I’m happy with say 90 plus % weed control rather than the 98% maybe that’s a flaw in my thinking. There really seems to be a shift back to mixed farming in marginal areas.

We may get confused with fert terminology here but I use MAP mono ammonium phosphate/USA mix with Sulfur. The blend is 70% map 28% urea and2. % Sulfur.. it put on at seeding at 60 kg per ha bulk product and later in year crops spread with 40 to 50 kg urea per ha.

This year being dry I dropped of urea spreading. My best barley should go between 60 and 70 bushels. Asked ago well I this crop had the 50 of urea would have it yielded more his moment was “ the way the year has finished probably not” worst Bailey 48 bushel different soil types.

My weed control I use a lot of “old chemisrty” about half cost o a lot of new latest and greatest chems but get it on early.

One of my good friends had barley and I kid you not 120 bushels was the hope gave it everything and more sadly got frosted100% but he cut it for hay he has cattle not a complete loss but still broke his heart and ps was only one paddock his best. Some of his lesser crops say 80 bushels don’t quite seem to have same frost damage.

Always do strips with no fert some times shows up other times not so much.

A well timed rain during growing season gets you a long way

Comment

Black powder is herbicide resistance a big issue or just a issue to be watched?

Comment

The latter. But around.

Comment

From a mate first pic 15 to 30 bushels per acre wheat 2nd zero first pic sand.
                        Can’t see those yields myself think yield monitor needs a rest.
                        But poor either way and hea high input farmer in low rainfall spot.
                        Great soil though

Click image for larger version

Name:	8E94BCDD-CF7D-4B18-BBDA-46BA86F18007.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	769081

Click image for larger version

Name:	1D107513-3340-4542-94CA-CB4BC29E48D3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	769082

Comment