• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Milling wheat

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milling wheat

Past week has seen most of canola taken off in local area, crop remaining in fields tends to be wheat.
    Half own farm spring wheat was down graded to feed and taken off damp and yield only fifty two bushels per acre, a far cry from last year record yield.
    Looking ahead to next year after this year experience, will be difficult to get too enthused over growing more wheat.

All our wheat standing till combine has graded #2, 13 % protein, over 360 falling # by CGC harvest sample program. None drier than 16%, up to 20%, still drying it, or will FREEZE and leave if TOO frosty/cold to run dryer. Maybe not a record but one of highest yields on this farm. Landmark VB, stands in snow, threshes easy, low loss, very heavy bushel weight, 66-67 pounds.

Comment

There is no milling wheat in Western Canada, it's all $4-4.50 feed wheat that will make bread.

Comment

Locals will not buy any more wht till sample submitted.
        Payment after falling number results.
        Varies like protein.

Comment

I would like to know how graincos can send samples away for falling numbers and still grade visually....

To have a 340 falling number on feed wheat seems like it will end up being milled or blended to milling ...

Which extends to the next question ...what about the CNHR that didn't have the characteristics for the CWRS grade....

Anyone doing comparison on these classes ?????

I ask these questions to the CGC who says its their responsibility but they are not following it....odd...

No actual regulator working on behalf of farmers...while falling numbers are international they are not a grading standard for the prairie....CGC said you have to look at your contracts with the grainco....and who regulates the contracts.???? Well that too is the CGC responsibility...or should be

And so is the grading process that to date isnt followed and bitching about it makes it harder to deliver....

Just tell me why the CGC with 130 million can't do more on behalf of farmers....instead of Devin Dreeshen's /WCWGA idea of giving it back....why not enforce the rules ?????

Here is an idea...when a farmer sends a sample away through a grainco or independently it gets entered into a database that the farmer can access everywhere for other grainco's to see....therefore not backlogging the system testing the same samples 4 times ....
          Last edited by bucket; Oct 27, 2019, 12:46.

Comment

Falling numbers probably more bull crap to deduct from our paychecks.
            How many bins do these large plants have?
            Blend is all they do..
            For what ever reason protein always the highest off combine?
            Hauled 8000 bushels at #1..13.6 pro..
            Now it's a #2 with 11.5 pro.?

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
              Falling numbers probably more bull crap to deduct from our paychecks.
              How many bins do these large plants have?
              Blend is all they do..
              For what ever reason protein always the highest off combine?
              Hauled 8000 bushels at #1..13.6 pro..
              Now it's a #2 with 11.5 pro.?
              another reason I hate bins....for some reason the grade changes....sometimes for the better...most of the time for the worse...

its really time primary producers took their industry back....graincos that can't justify having dryers but can build fertilizer plants and chem sheds....if there is no money in handling grain phuck off....

Imagine the look I gave a guy grading my grain when he started talking about fertilizer and chemical purchases to make a better grade.....the drive to deliver is expensive enough and I have made it clear the closest point gets my business...

Comment

A certain V_____a tells me they are drying canola. Proceeds to tell me they are not taking anything over 11%. What a joke 11% is childsplay just air alone will bring that down.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                  A certain V_____a tells me they are drying canola. Proceeds to tell me they are not taking anything over 11%. What a joke 11% is childsplay just air alone will bring that down.
                  our local vitera is the best by far out of all of them for me locally this yr. accepting up to 12.5 on canola and up to 18 on wheat. Cargill is being real aholes. they are a hard fast 11

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                    another reason I hate bins....for some reason the grade changes....sometimes for the better...most of the time for the worse...

its really time primary producers took their industry back....graincos that can't justify having dryers but can build fertilizer plants and chem sheds....if there is no money in handling grain phuck off....

Imagine the look I gave a guy grading my grain when he started talking about fertilizer and chemical purchases to make a better grade.....the drive to deliver is expensive enough and I have made it clear the closest point gets my business...
                    well , its like two years ago when they were advertising for feed barley with a small premium , but had to be two row and have good germ. why didn't the assholes say they were using it for malt??????

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                      well , its like two years ago when they were advertising for feed barley with a small premium , but had to be two row and have good germ. why didn't the assholes say they were using it for malt??????
                      Probably for "tea" barley, it can be CRAP and still brews in Japan...

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                        There is no milling wheat in Western Canada, it's all $4-4.50 feed wheat that will make bread.
                        Actually, LOW falling number might make smaller denser loaves with less "gliadin" the BAD GLUTEN!

Comment

Careful, somebody might be listening.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                            In 2016 fuzz was a huge issue end users bought low quality durum and and used it to make pasta.
                            Now they have learnt how to use crap quality for their use, they don’t want to pay for good stuff.
                            Back in the day grain companies would say you couldn’t make bread out of low quality wheat .... how things have changed.
                            Survival for the fittest this winter.

Comment

I can hardly wait to see if the "pigs" will complain after I ship my first two loads of low vomi feed wheat early this week.

On the quality wheat front, ...we dried enough wheat, low enough, to blend out a bunch of marginally tough stuff, should average about 14%. The only thing I'm concerned about is the blending ratio. Bonus is now I'm not married to only terminals with a drier! Im just trying open up my marketing opportunities.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...