• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CANOLA on CANOLA...profitability or stupidity

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay finally someone admitted to C on C, last year that was the highest yielding field and REAL clean with Transorb 2 years in a row. Wheat this year is weed free, cleanest we have. Is there any other great yielding overall good variety that is Club root resistant? Dekalb is CRAP.

Comment

In the 15 yr stretch I grew lots of invigor followed up by either pioneer hybrids or dekalbs. I found my best yields come on the invigor years.Since I have retired I am not familiar with new varieties. Going back to our situation I think there was a little stupidity in this rotation but also lots of profitability.

Comment

I think its a little broader than just clubroot.
        What about alternaria black spot and schlerotinia?
        Was fungicide always applied?

Comment

Yes schlerotinia seemed to be around at different levels but also showed up in fields grown on wheat stubble,even present on 35 yr grassland.My fungicide applications were very sporatic with mixed results.I probably applied fungicides on 30% of canola Acres.

Comment

Originally posted by kANOLA View Post
            Yes schlerotinia seemed to be around at different levels but also showed up in fields grown on wheat stubble,even present on 35 yr grassland.My fungicide applications were very sporatic with mixed results.I probably applied fungicides on 30% of canola Acres.
            I will agree you did very well , been out in your fields I think. Thinking outside the box is a good thing . I personally can not recommend it it but there is absolutely no denying it did work for you.
            I have a neighbour that seeds wheat and then peas , same every year. Never ever had aphenomicies ... ever .

Comment

Club root is a market garden thing and I don’t there is any difference between canola rotations on when you will get it. After you have club root there is good research showing a longer rotation between canola crops will help.

They grow corn and soybeans in rotation in the US for 50 years. What’s so different between wheat and canola vs corn and beans? Also lots of corn on corn on corn in the US.

Continuous wheat has been a rotation on some farms for a long time. Lots of canola- wheat- wheat rotations. Perhaps the 2 years of wheat in a row is a bad rotation.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...