• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A write off?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If only things were progressing that well around here.

About 5% done harvest, and that was much too tough to even get a test. Currently all buried under snow again, and supposed to snow and or rain again tonight or tomorrow. Incredible crops, in spite of serious frost damage. Frost from Oct 1, when everything should have been way beyond being susceptible had we had any heat all summer.

We were never nearly as wet as you guys were/are. It rained nearly daily, but just enough to be a nuisance, only lost an inconsequential amount of acres from the biggest June rains.

I managed to ruin most of the hay, there were some very brief windows of opportunity to get dry hay without rain, but they required light hay crops, and disregarding the forecasts.

Had intended to get out of cows this year( intended yet again, I should say), but not sure if there is going to be a market for mediocre hay( OK, some is much less than mediocre). Might need to feed it to the cows again. Most of the time, I'm happy to have cows around, but during seeding and harvest, I'm already stretched too thin as a one man operation, without sick calves during seeding, and constantly needing to move to new grass/stubble/hay fields at this time of year.

It was good to see grass growing as lush as it did all summer, after the drought of the past few years, I think it was still growing better in Sept this year, than at any point in the past few years.

Firmly invested into grain production, so not planning to change course, but may need to rethink growing mostly long season crops in this environment.
    But not firmly enough to make permanent investments in grain infrastructure. As much as I want to believe Chucks promises of weather improvement, the pessimist in me just won't allow me to bet the farm on it.

Regarding your straw picture, this is my first year with rotary separation ( Lexion hybrid), and in this extreme tough wheat straw( could wring water out of it the first day we tried), wow does it take some power compared to walkers. Rotor belt slip has been the limiting factor.
    Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Oct 13, 2019, 00:38.

Comment

Hope you get a break out west you guys. I'm starting to think like farmaholic - "wouldn't it be nice if it didn't matter"?

Comment

Try to keep your chin up Grassfarmer.
        I know it must be hard to do given what southern Manitoba just got.
        But you are right- "insert cliche"

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
          Try to keep your chin up Grassfarmer.
          I know it must be hard to do given what southern Manitoba just got.
          But you are right- "insert cliche"
          Have to keep the chin up Farma, don't want a mouthful of snow!

Comment

Just started canola. Poor start, not much rain, variable emergence.

So far yield in the single digits. I have done 14 acres and just covered the window in the back of the cab.

Atleast it's dry.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...