• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sf3, who's the guy with that beautiful bin yard setup just west of bethune beside the highway?

WOW! good for him.

Comment

[QUOTE=Hamloc;427144

As far as harvest goes was fortunate to havest some swathed canola yesterday testing 9 moisture. Was a little disappointed in the yield at 49 bpa based on bin fill. Last year my worst canola field was 35 bpa and my best 54 bpa. Have to admit I was hoping it was better but still thankful just to have it in the bin. Last time I looked chance of snow here on Sunday and Monday again.[/QUOTE]

WTF????

LOL. I think this has to be sarcasm. Yes 49 bpa canola is definitely a wreck for sure, especially testing dry, next thing you know it will only be running 45, god help you

Tom? Any words of prayer handy?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
        Grassfarmer thanks for the video, that definitely doesn't look like fun. Looked at the weather forecast for southern Manitoba looks like lots of snow, won't be fun. All I can say to the climate change believers is your predictions of warmer weather for Canada certainly isn't working. Record lows in some Alberta locations Wednesday night, now it appears record snowfalls for southern Manitoba after record snowfalls for southeastern Alberta last week.

As far as harvest goes was fortunate to havest some swathed canola yesterday testing 9 moisture. Was a little disappointed in the yield at 49 bpa based on bin fill. Last year my worst canola field was 35 bpa and my best 54 bpa. Have to admit I was hoping it was better but still thankful just to have it in the bin. Last time I looked chance of snow here on Sunday and Monday again.
        Last two falls , far below normal here for 2-3 months .

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
          Wow, that is perseverance.

So what happens when the custom operator calls to announce they are coming, and conditions look like that? Do you have to sacrifice your fields to ruts and compaction, because it is now or never? How long is the window on corn silage before it loses too much moisture( or does it ever at this time of year)? Are they passing through, and possibly not coming back if you decline? Is waiting for frost an option?

What is the prognosis for melting that much snow in mid October out there? Here, I would say that much right now would be unlikely to disappear.

A lot of unknowns at this point as it's unusual circumstances. Generally I guess you'd be happy to have them come harvest your feed regardless of the mess it makes. Most people need to get that feed off at any price. We have the other feeds bought or booked on the assumption we had corn silage to feed. Plan B for me would be grazing the corn with the cows but that would leave me short all the feed for our backgrounding cattle to replace in an already short/price prohibitive marketplace. I know I can graze corn as I've done it before - many others don't have that option. Moisture loss in the corn for silage shouldn't be too much of a concern just yet but eventually it will be as it dries down.
          No idea how things are likely to dry up after this - our corn could have been harvested a couple of days ago making little or no mess but some areas are wetter/heavier soils particularly in the RRV. Where that video was shot is in the 40-60cm forecast where we are only 20-40cm. Looks like 5-8 degrees in a weeks time but could be a long week getting there. Cattle are all in shelter with grass but they'll need to dig for it.
          And then their are my farming neighbours - likely upwards of 25% of the crop still out would be my guess, everything from standing wheat to swathed canola to corn and beans.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
            Last two falls , far below normal here for 2-3 months .
            Honestly it's been getting progressively worse since about 2009 for cold, snow and shorter and shorter growing degree seasons. Summer's almost non existent now it seems. Winter cold snaps now not snaps but month long or more. But wait, 1 day 2 degrees above normal, and it's the warmest year on record! Doesnt weeks on end of extreme below average temps make news? Nope doesnt fit the narrative!

Comment

Down to our last 80 acres of Canola. It's coming off 16 and a little green, going on air till we can deal with it in the dryer.

We had about 100 acres of dry Canola all fall and yet the neighbors all around us were taking most of their's off dry. Their combines are black and ours our clean, I guess there is a little advantage to a little fungus. Save on chemical and drying costs.

210 acres of flax and 80 acres of buckwheat to go after the canola.
              Last edited by Dr Tone; Oct 11, 2019, 09:41.

Comment

Wind is nuts should get rid of all snow tomorrow we go. If it flows it goes.

Last 2/3 of harvest to go wtf this sucks.

Not sure on that bin yard but here investors.

Mine are all me.

Comment

Nope, I checked wind is not getting rid of our snow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7754.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	769027

Comment

Got done last night at midnight.
                    Lots to dry.
                    Hope this weather turns for the way better for the rest.

Comment

What’s going on in Manitoba? The satellite shows spinning squalls parked over Brandon for days. Way too early for winter🙈

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                        What’s going on in Manitoba? The satellite shows spinning squalls parked over Brandon for days. Way too early for winter🙈
                        It's a weather bomb. Piles of snow. Howling wind. Anyone with canola swaths might welcome the snow banks on the swaths or they would have blown away.

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
                          It's a weather bomb. Piles of snow. Howling wind. Anyone with canola swaths might welcome the snow banks on the swaths or they would have blown away.
                          On October 12, you have to wonder if it's a season ender. What will it take to make it go away. Then field conditions.
                          Best of luck to those affected.

Comment

That's a spinner alright. It is parked over the same spot and goes round and round. I hope that line doesn't move like the 2000s west a couple of hundred miles. Those in it I feel for you. It's downright ugly. A salesman I know is in Winterpeg for meetings and sent pictures. Wow.

We need a First nation Summer. Its got to come. One day or week or 28 days.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191012-064840.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	769028

The one coming from the west is the one we need to miss.

Comment

Most guys done or near done here now ,lots of juice going on , harrowing and spraying mostly done .
                                This is a very rare treat for this area, happens next to never
                                Was hauling canary seed 40 miles and pretty much all thats left is standing canola,(some will be swathing again)actually a lot of it . All the swathed is done. Canola yields down here about 15 % , doesnt matter if its early or late or in between . Nearly all wheat is feed , even the beautiful #1 we carried over , lol

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...