• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oct 3th, anyone combining anywhere?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hah I keep trying to say 3th....

Nobody going with combines around here yet. Did see a swather in some canola tonight though. Hoar frost this morning took most of the day to clear and left everything wet (still). Go less than an hour south and they've still got 3" of snow, can't imagine what the guys further south that got buried still have.

The forecast is nice... gradually warming up until a peak of 18 Monday, then more snow and rain Tuesday. If we get to combine one day a week we should be done by seeding.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
      What the hell you guys been doing? Ive been combining lots lately....

combining rum and coke!
      Darnit Farma, I saw the thread title, and thought up a really good smart Alec answer, read through the replies, and see that you already used it. Back to the drawing board...

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
        Hah I keep trying to say 3th....

Nobody going with combines around here yet. Did see a swather in some canola tonight though. Hoar frost this morning took most of the day to clear and left everything wet (still). Go less than an hour south and they've still got 3" of snow, can't imagine what the guys further south that got buried still have.

The forecast is nice... gradually warming up until a peak of 18 Monday, then more snow and rain Tuesday. If we get to combine one day a week we should be done by seeding.
        I think it’s much the same in 50-60% of western Canada . Not fun at all for most
        Last year it was a relatively small area, including us that had to deal with snow , harvest snow .
        This year it’s the vast majority of western Canada, sure puts a sour taste in most farmers mouth to pay carbon tax’s for global warming lol

Comment

Took off some 13% canola today. Simply won’t dry on it’s own and the straw won’t cure. Tough chewing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Tone View Post
            Took off some 13% canola today. Simply won’t dry on it’s own and the straw won’t cure. Tough chewing.
            Swathed or straight cut?

I think the cool wet weather is making standing canola hang on forever.

Does standing canola straw ever really cure? Except for maybe exceptionally dry conditions? We're swathers and if we miss some, that straw seems to stay green forever.
            Always thought canola liked it cooler and damp, well.....

Comment

Swathed or straight cut?

Does standing canola straw ever really cure? Except for maybe exceptionally dry conditions? We're swathers and if we miss some, that straw seems to stay green forever.
              Swathed. Our standing stuff was 17% and green still.

Comment

Swathed or straight cut?

Any comments around here always say GRINDING CHEWING HAMMERING. And way more fuel at half the mph. Some real tough swathed has gone through combines around me too. Doubt if cured once, trying to cure in the dryer. Well rotted swaths combine like nothing there, 4-5 mph.

Comment

Most canola has been off 8-9 here last two days
                  Canary slow drying but is dry also

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                    Most canola has been off 8-9 here last two days
                    Canary slow drying but is dry also
                    Oh sure, rub it in!

Comment

We've been rolling most of the week. Canola swaths 12.-14, wheat 19.

Comment

When was the latest you ever combined? I've heard old timers talk about getting it done in November/December.

Comment

Originally posted by littledoggie View Post
                          When was the latest you ever combined? I've heard old timers talk about getting it done in November/December.
                          2009. Didn’t START combining until November 8th. Got it all, lots dry, finished around the 23rd.

Comment

Wake up to cool cloudy forecast and 93% humidity. I guess the durum can wait another day or another week. Nothing drying here at all

Comment

Originally posted by littledoggie View Post
                              It usually happens at least once a decade in the deep NE.

2016 we finished in early November. 2009 we finished in late November.

Comment

We don't grain farm but take note of what's going on in our area. "Once a decade" - there does seem to be a pattern to it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...