• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who got snow

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
    On the topic of global warming, I read every single cut and paste that Chuck puts up( and I expect I am the only one), and I follow a number of alarmists elsewhere, I look at the raw data for myself, I read many papers on both sides. I started out quite hopeful that they were right, and AGW was real and went looking for evidence to support that, and as I always do, I also look for evidence to refute what I want to be true, to avoid confirmation bias, unfortunately, when you weigh the evidence from both sides from a dispassionate academic perspective, the alarmists case falls apart. I am still looking for that glimmer of hope, and Chuck is generous enough with his time, to gather multiple sources and bring them to our attention, I do thank him for that. Being open minded is what brought me to the perspective I have now. I do take this issue very seriously, because me entire business model and virtually everything we have invested is dependent our climate either improving, or at very least not getting any colder, so I am keeping a very open mind. This isn't about what I want to believe, it has real implications for us, and requires taking appropriate measures before it is too late, whichever direction it goes. Forewarned is forearmed.

I have asked Chuck multiple times what is his line in the sand on this issue. Is there a certain temperature that has to be crossed by a certain date, or any other definable, quantifiable metric that if it doesn't occur, would cause him to rethink his "belief" in CAGW. I have mine, and am prepared to change my opinion if the evidence changes, he claims there is no need. If there is no piece of evidence that could cause one to rethink their "belief" in something, then that is the definition of an close minded ideologue, not an open minded pragmatist.

Ask Chuck how many of the articles, papers, links etc. that other posters have taken the time to post for him, has he read and critiqued for us? Every single time, he shoots the messenger and that is as far as he gets.

How about yourself, how do you ensure that you are not guilty of confirmation bias on this or any other issue?
    I don't know if there's a way to ensure I'm not guilty of confirmation bias. That definition of Open Minded kind of lost me when it said unprejudiced. I think everyone has prejudice on some level, some bias. That's what leads us to develop the opinions we do. When I say I'm open minded it's more that I'm open to hearing other's opinions and not telling them they're morons or brainwashed for thinking like they do. I don't expect everyone to have the same opinion as me, even if we have all the same knowledge and experiences.

In regards to the climate debate, I rarely read any articles either for or against. To me the debate is asking the wrong question. The entire thing is focusing on "Do we need to become more climate/environmentally compatible"

I think we would be better focusing on "Can we be more climate/environmentally compatible."

It doesn't matter if we need to or not, if the alarmist scientists are right and the world ends in 50 years or if the deniers are right and we keep on keeping on... to me it matters that we can.

I don't have to wipe my ass every time I go to the bathroom but I can and in the long run it's probably better that I do.

You may be a well read individual with a good grasp of climate change but I can't think of a post of yours that really made me think so. What I can bring to mind are posts from you and a few others on here constantly saying something along the lines of "It's snowing/cold out/my hands are frozen and it's only September, where's this Global Warming people keep talking about?!" which gives one the impression that you have a very small grasp on how complex the global climate is. Maybe you're just being tongue in cheek but do be cautious if you want people, especially online through text, to not think you're just a yokel with little understanding of the subject. Perhaps I've just skimmed your more in depth posts because of the impression I've gained from these overly simplified posts disdaining the idea of warming. First impressions are known for helping form prejudices after all! I'll have to make an effort to read more than scroll past.

Comment

Rational thought is what’s needed ..
      understand that the scientific climate models being used may not be right at all .
      Rational thought that this is not a “climate emergency”
      Rational though that poor Greta is being used as a pawn , no fault into her own at all , brave young lady , but has no concept of the real climate forces. She’s being fed a story .... that’s it.
      Rational thought is needed by parents to tell their children the world will not end in 2-5-10 or even 100 years . There has already been a few young teens commit suicide because they feel they are part of killing this planet...... this climate hysteria is out of control on our youth for gods sake.
      Rational thought that renewables can not save the planet.... watch the last video I just posted .
      Rational thought that , yes the carbon tax is simply a wealth transfer program developed by the U.N. to balance out wealth from the middle class to the poor .
      Yes , rational thought is needed , before this crap gets out of control and we lose everything all of us here have worked for , in some cases for over 100 years .......
      simply look at what’s really going on ..
      Last edited by furrowtickler; Oct 3, 2019, 20:13.

Comment

Blaithin, thanks for responding to my questions. That is already much more than the others have offered(see above)

But I think you have me confused with someone else. If you have time, go and read through some of our debates, especially with DML, but even Chuck, tweety, mustard and grass(apologies if I left some one out). Especially the epic long thread about sea level rise.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
          Blaithin, thanks for responding to my questions. That is already much more than the others have offered(see above)

But I think you have me confused with someone else. If you have time, go and read through some of our debates, especially with DML, but even Chuck, tweety, mustard and grass(apologies if I left some one out). Especially the epic long thread about sea level rise.
          I always try to reply if I've seen I've been directly asked something. It just might take me a while if I'm on my phone and can't be arsed to type something long out until I can get to a computer Hah

Apologies if I do have you confused with someone. It'd be unfair and unfortunate if I've applied some of other's cold comments to you!!
          Last edited by Blaithin; Oct 3, 2019, 20:38.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...