• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drying Grain....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had lots in the yellow peas this year. Hauled most of them to Trochu. Their was no issue.

Comment

My post was a reply to caseih’s question about grasshoppers in the sample.

Comment

Temperature difference is the key. Warm grain will give up its heat to the cool air and along with it goes some moisture.
        Adequate air flow is also important.

Here is a calculator that will show how much moisture is in the air at a given temperature, RH and barometric pressure.
        http://www.michell.com/calculator/ http://www.michell.com/calculator/

Cold air can not hold as much moisture as warm air.
        4.1C air at 95% RH has the same amount of moisture in a given volume as 21.1C air at 33% RH

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
          My post was a reply to caseih’s question about grasshoppers in the sample.
          I'm thunking there has to be alot and unable to clean most of it out before its a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
            I'm thunking there has to be alot and unable to clean most of it out before its a problem.
            You are probably right but we had enough that they left stains on the inside of the steel grain boxes. They are still there after we have been hauling durum and hrs for a week. Was kind of fun watching them ride the peas down to go through the auger. I guess I still hold a grudge from past years.

Comment

Grain drying made simple.

Harvest fill bins during the day.

Start dryer after the first load dumped.

Finish harvesting at dark.

Check dryer. (add cameras for night use so like calving don't have to get out of bed).

Go to sleep.

Wake up check dryer.

Start moving dry grain to bins or bags etc.

Empty all trucks from the day before into a wet bin.

Repeat till mother nature cooperates.

Oh, and phone for propane or have the guy come every second day.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                Grain drying made simple.

Harvest fill bins during the day.

Start dryer after the first load dumped.

Finish harvesting at dark.

Check dryer. (add cameras for night use so like calving don't have to get out of bed).

Go to sleep.

Wake up check dryer.

Start moving dry grain to bins or bags etc.

Empty all trucks from the day before into a wet bin.

Repeat till mother nature cooperates.

Oh, and phone for propane or have the guy come every second day.

And where do you send the bill for all the extra work that should be done at an elevator with many times the volume and ability to dry faster by blending either on the prairies or at the coast????

You accepted the downloading of those costs to your farm...gold star for you..lol

Comment

Come on now bucket.
                  No way local elevators can deal with 18 or 21 wheat as fast as we can thresh it.
                  15 canola?
                  This whole thread is bs.
                  You go every minute you can until your done.
                  Last edited by blackpowder; Sep 7, 2019, 07:33.

Comment

Who took their grouchy pills today. Yes, it would be nice if the slime of the earth did something to help farmers, but they won't. Our local Cargill took the dryer out of commission and built a Soy treating plant for a million dollars.

It Didn't treat a bushel this year and probably won't next.

It's a shit show.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                      Come on now bucket.
                      No way local elevators can deal with 18 or 21 wheat as fast as we can thresh it.
                      15 canola?
                      So the costs come to farmers ???? Would it be better to to just wait until its dry ...see how the graincos book works with shit waiting until its dry....

They have the people to load cars around the clock but can't set up a dry to help blend until the weather comes...

Local grainco is a 45000 tonne facility ...they can't justify having a dryer ....so how does any farmer in the area....

And if that is the case they probably have dry grain that can be blended at the coast...

Most elevator south of the number one highway are in typically dry areas....

Comment

You go every minute you can until your done.

I know several farmers dying with boots on...feeding the chain/ungrateful population. If it was Ag more than ever, we would be fairly sharing the final price of products.

Comment

It would be nice if grain companies would custom dry everything for us at cost.
                          But that's not their business model.

Boots on??
                          Guess I missed the memo that said someone gave a damn.

Comment

The only thing worse than drying grain is not being able to dry grain and sitting not being able to go
                            Dried 10000 bu oats yesterday from 16 in the field , small aetup
                            Hauled them out , no lineups , keeps a guy sane anyways lol
                            And no they dont give a shit about us
                            Last edited by Guest; Sep 7, 2019, 08:55.

Comment

Originally posted by poorboy View Post
                              So if I had 19 wheat in Early to mid September I could pull 5% out and get it to 14% moisture? I have never tried adding a little heat early in the year. Done a little emergency drying in November. Would be a useful tool early in my harvest if I could do tougher grains.
                              Yep pulled off 20% durum yestarday you can guess what im setting up this morning.

Comment

I'm not looking for "something for nothing"!
                                I can't run a fan or add supplemental heat, from any source, for free!
                                I anyone going to pay me for my efforts and extra costs?
                                Or is it business as usual and try to **** value out of me with frivolous grading issues!
                                I am being given an opportunity to grab some grain off the field....at a reasonably manageable moisture levels....not dry but not insanely damp either....I think I better take that opportunity....even though all I preach about is not trusting forecasts...there seems to be a "trend", not a good harvest weather trend.

And yes, any unused commercial drying capacity is a shame and waste.

Take care you guys!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...