• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OPINION | What's really holding back the oilsands? It's not the bill of goods you're

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

101's posted graphs explain what has happened with Canada's over dependence on a single market.

High prices drove new technology and the shale revolution in the US. Nobody expected the US to become an exporter. It happened quickly without much time for Canada and the oil sands to build infrastructure and find new markets.

Abundant better quality shale oil that is easier and cheaper to produce makes the oil sands much less viable.

If increasing EV sales keep oil prices low into the future, then the oil sands will languish as uneconomic. Market forces of supply and demand at work.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
      101's posted graphs explain what has happened with Canada's over dependence on a single market.

High prices drove new technology and the shale revolution in the US. Nobody expected the US to become an exporter. It happened quickly without much time for Canada and the oil sands to build infrastructure and find new markets.

Abundant better quality shale oil that is easier and cheaper to produce makes the oil sands much less viable.

If increasing EV sales keep oil prices low into the future, then the oil sands will languish as uneconomic. Market forces of supply and demand at work.
      EV's have nothing to do with the price of oil.

World oil consumption is increasing yoy. On average the increase has been and is forecast to be about 450 million barrels per year from 2018 - 2020.

By 2020 it is forecast the world will go through 37.35 billion barrels of oil a year.

Comment

Currently EVs have little to do with declining demand. But the long term forecast is that EVs will cut in to demand.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
          EV's have nothing to do with the price of oil.

World oil consumption is increasing yoy. On average the increase has been and is forecast to be about 450 million barrels per year from 2018 - 2020.

By 2020 it is forecast the world will go through 37.35 billion barrels of oil a year.
          Yes, but trying to explain that to the anti fossil fuel club is pointless. I worked out the numbers for him above, but obviously he didn't bother reading it. By his logic, I need to switch our gas stove, dryer, and hot water tank out for electric to save the world. Because fossil fuels burnt in a power plant where I can't see or hear it doesn't produce CO2, only when I burn it closer to home does it emit CO2.

Once again Chuck, just the increase in demand of fossil fuels exceeds all of the installed renewables approximately every year and a half. The only thing EV's are accomplishing is lowering gas tax revenue for maintaining roads.

Comment

Total demand is forecast to continue to rise for the foreseeable future. Ev's or not.

Even the production of an EV requires oil. Lots of it

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
              Currently EVs have little to do with declining demand. But the long term forecast is that EVs will cut in to demand.
              Can you explain how you think EV's will cut into fossil fuel demand? Do you think electricity is a source of energy, as opposed to a means of conveying energy from point to point? If I switch my hot water heater to electric, will that cut into fossil fuel demand too?

Comment

The market for oil and gas is not
                Going away any time soon.
                This down turn has been around since before the NDP
                Were elected in Alberta.
                The world price , not any control.
                If a government has any purpose it is to make sure
                Whatever we produce can get to market easily.
                Grains oil lumber whatever.
                You can be as green as you want
                When you have money in your pocket.
                What do you have with a struggling economy?
                No money for nothing.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...