• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hay prices?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
    Straw bales. He offered $10, I was quite offended by that. Lol
    Not sure how many bales/ac it will produce.
    But $10 a bales there won’t be any straw rows in my fields.
    By the time you figure the nutrient loss and concentration of chaff weed seeds left under straw swath after baling 10 bucks does not cut it.I am baling barley straw of my own but can justify for my own use.i would say to sell it in a swath behind a 30 or 35 foot header 20 bucks may be what it is worth.15 for sure.

Comment

Why hasn't any of the combine manufacturers made an attachment to put the chaff on top of the straw so at least some gets baled up?

I know you can spread the chaff and drop straw but...the weeds seeds and cracked grain could go into a bale. ...wouldn't get 100 percent of it but some would make the bale more valuable?

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
        Why hasn't any of the combine manufacturers made an attachment to put the chaff on top of the straw so at least some gets baled up?

I know you can spread the chaff and drop straw but...the weeds seeds and cracked grain could go into a bale. ...wouldn't get 100 percent of it but some would make the bale more valuable?
        The old chaff blowers and wagons and those cyclones worked well. Dont believe they are still in production, not enough mixed farmers anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
          Im sure your gonna think im full of shit

Round bales of straw peaked out at $150 in height of the drought.

Good night saturday night here ridled with the flu
          I believe you - barley straw hit Aus.$160/tonne in Scotland in 2018 - about $140 Canadian. Not your levels but still high compared to what we are used to here.

Comment

Instead of paying 10 cents a pound for hay.Better to buy barley at 10 cents a pound and feed straw.Trucking cheaper on barley grain also.

Comment

That's my thinking newguy - limit feed corn silage with DDGs for energy/protein and fill up with straw. DDGs at 11c/lb are a way better buy than barley at 10c and you don't need to process them. Seems a lot of guys are hung up on only feeding hay to cows though.

Comment

Buy a few peas for protein at 9 cents a pound and... voila.....no need for fake burgers....

dumbf*ckled farmer...tm

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...