• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low tonight...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
    Global warming??? If only it would. This might be the only time in my life that I am think of starting the furnace to warm up the house in August.
    And the ironic part, is it will cost you significantly more to run the furnace thanks to the CO2 tax, purportedly to solve a problem that should have been making the furnace obsolete, at least in August.

Comment

First year farming in 1976 lost all my low spots froze out on august 2nd.Remember cause came home from the Regina ex the next morning after an all nighter.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
        Global warming??? If only it would. This might be the only time in my life that I am think of starting the furnace to warm up the house in August.
        Furnace has run every month of this year so far here. Haven’t needed the imaginary air conditioning that we don’t have either. The corn hasn’t even started on a single ear yet. Definitely picked the wrong year to go all in with it unless it doesn’t freeze till November. Just my luck as normal.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post
          Aug 20th, 2004 -- Froze most of the crop to bran or pepper, even early wheat was feed due to frost damaged kernels. Peas may have been cut and in the bin, as well early planted barley. Minus 4 to minus 6, for over 6 hours. Sad memories as everyone had such great looking stands. First time we straight cut canola,,,just to get rid of the straw. No point swathing, no concern about pod shatter, as very little went in to the combine hopper. It was all garbage anyway.

Would hate to go through that again, but it's been awhile since we've had a killing frost during harvest,,,let alone a frost on our area average date, which would be(used to be) Sept 5-7th.

Climate is changing, and it has everything to due with solar output, not man made activities.
          Yup same here , and in many areas . But what remember most was a few days later Terry Kerwandi from sask Ag blabbing about how it was just localized low lying areas that were affected.. absolutely b/S

Comment

The neighbours are combining Eston lentils. Remember the guys that I told you burn off the Canaryseed and plant lentils every year? Ours are grass-green and are a month from the bin.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
              We are so far behind on heat units it is getting scary, crops just not progressing. And now look at this temperature forecast:
              [ATTACH]4643[/ATTACH]

Try putting up hay with that forecast. And yes, there is rain every day of that also.

Haven't had a wind all summer, except a few minutes before the daily thunderstorm, which doesn't help the hay drying situation much.

Disregard the lows, weather network is hopeless at forecasting lows for this area.
              Same story in the main US corn crop . Seeded very late and way behind in GDD
              Very little being said
              Just blab about seeded acres lol

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                Furnace has run every month of this year so far here. Haven’t needed the imaginary air conditioning that we don’t have either. The corn hasn’t even started on a single ear yet. Definitely picked the wrong year to go all in with it unless it doesn’t freeze till November. Just my luck as normal.
                I'm inclined to think some corn versus all corn is a good risk mitigation strategy. The corn shines in a hotter, drier year whereas grass/alfalfa shines in the cooler wet years. They also complement each other if you feed them together.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                  I'm inclined to think some corn versus all corn is a good risk mitigation strategy. The corn shines in a hotter, drier year whereas grass/alfalfa shines in the cooler wet years. They also complement each other if you feed them together.
                  We aren’t relying on the corn completely and actually are using alfalfa for grazing and for silage as well. I just would like to eliminate a few months of feeding silage or bales to the herd and have a little more family time so if the economics aren’t quite as critical as long as they kinda work. 🍀

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...