• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying drones

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying drones

Previous thread got me wondering.
    How many are using drones on the farm??
    They're actually pretty amazing.

Not here, not yet anyway, maybe never. Very decisive! I think?

Comment

How would you start up in drone flying.

Get an entry level one that if it crashes, who cares?
      Get a decent one and go for it?
      How much is a good quality One?
      What kind of range do they have?
      How elaborate does it have to be?
      Were restrictions imposed for buying and operating?
      Do you need a licence to operate them?
      Do they have to be "registered" to the owner's/operator's name?

Comment

My brother bought one 5 years ago, would fly over crops check for bugs and weeds, took unbelievably pics of seeding, spraying and harvest. Took some real cool videos during the farming season. I never did fly it, remote control stuff I was never good at. Had enough trouble driving those plastics cars on the ground. Lol
        Haven’t used it for quite sometime now, something happened with controls or something has to be sent to Ontario. Brother says one we have is obsolete ...... just like a computer good for a couple years till the new one comes out.
        From my understanding you need to have a licence now to fly them ....... just another money grab.

Comment

Toy or Tool?

Comment

The p4 from DJI are probably one of the best drones around for checking cows and crop.

Typical flight is 8 miles but not much more than 3 miles away from the remote control.

Collision avoidance is really good for beginners but if you’re flying high there’s nothing to crash into.

One of mine dropped from 250 feet, went into a spin and I’m not sure why but could be a loose propeller I'm pretty sure hundred dollars will get it flying again. It’s flown at least 1500 miles and has saved quite a few cows and calves over the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by TSIPP View Post
              The p4 from DJI are probably one of the best drones around for checking cows and crop.

Typical flight is 8 miles but not much more than 3 miles away from the remote control.

Collision avoidance is really good for beginners but if you’re flying high there’s nothing to crash into.

One of mine dropped from 250 feet, went into a spin and I’m not sure why but could be a loose propeller I'm pretty sure hundred dollars will get it flying again. It’s flown at least 1500 miles and has saved quite a few cows and calves over the last few years.
              fun for the first two weeks. after that, sits in a box, never used again.

Comment

Been there done that. Latest ones easy to fly. Initially idea was to capture images of crops with different filters. Wedge tailed eagles take them out here so now you have to buy evasive manoeuvre program. Just a toy now anyway because we can get daily NDVI sat images

Comment

Ya, they are what you make them.
                  A toy drone is a waste of money.
                  $2000 before extra batteries and charger.
                  Fly it from your iPad mini screen.
                  Took a two day school to learn some mapping and license requirements.

Learn things about your crop you can't from the cab. Last fall it made a dessication decision easier. Just flying it with my eyes, from the road, nothing fancy.
                  Crop insurance will be using them more.

Drone industry per annum job growth rate North of 300%.
                  Last edited by blackpowder; Aug 3, 2019, 10:28.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...