• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally waking up?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the whole thing is to stop farmer trading?

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
      So the whole thing is to stop farmer trading?
      And to extract exhorbitant amounts of money from the primary producer.

When, and hopefully never, this is enacted imagine the onslaught of new varieties that will hit the market, all looking for the biggest piece of the pie they can get..... Even if their variety is shit. And maybe even worse than one that was demoted into a lower class or worse yet completely de-registered.

The last thing this Industry needs is more input supplier corporate control and COLLUSION.

EVER GET TIRED OF BEING A FISH IN A BARREL?

Comment

varieties never get deregistered here may drop a grade.

I know guys growing wheat bred 15 yrs ago for there exact district newer types not up to scratch

breeders and farmers kinda work hand in hand here wereas you guys might end up at war

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
          And to extract exhorbitant amounts of money from the primary producer.

When, and hopefully never, this is enacted imagine the onslaught of new varieties that will hit the market, all looking for the biggest piece of the pie they can get..... Even if their variety is shit. And maybe even worse than one that was demoted into a lower class or worse yet completely de-registered.

The last thing this Industry needs is more input supplier corporate control and COLLUSION.

EVER GET TIRED OF BEING A FISH IN A BARREL?
          plus radio, tv commercials 12 months of the year targeting 1% of the population. Madness.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
            varieties never get deregistered here may drop a grade.

I know guys growing wheat bred 15 yrs ago for there exact district newer types not up to scratch

breeders and farmers kinda work hand in hand here wereas you guys might end up at war
            Sounds like our Barley varieties, maltster doesn’t want (like? ) the new ones.

Maybe a compromise, new varieties can have the royalty tax BUT it expires after 5 years, then it’s open market and can never be de registered?

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post
              Sounds like our Barley varieties, maltster doesn’t want (like? ) the new ones.

Maybe a compromise, new varieties can have the royalty tax BUT it expires after 5 years, then it’s open market and can never be de registered?
              I think I remember Maltsters didn't want to use anything but Harrington(yes, that's how old I am) in the past, slowly but surely they adapted to some of the new varieties that came along.

I guess once they know how it malts and brews they want to stay with it. Add in affecting taste might get beer drinkers cranky.....how many do you have to drink before you wouldn't notice anymore?
              Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 30, 2019, 21:40.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                I think I remember Maltsters didn't want to use anything but Harrington(yes, that's how old I am) in the past, slowly but surely they adapted to some of the new varieties that came along.

I guess once they know how it malts and brews they want to stay with it. Add in affecting taste might get beer drinkers cranky.....how many do you have to drink before you wouldn't notice anymore?
                Preferred malt here by craft or boutique brewers is maybe 20 yrs old don’t know anyone locally that grows it. But the few that do boy do they pay a premium 60 plus dollars per tonne but a niche market and tight specs.

Comment

The problem with the seed "tax" is that all members of the value chain benefit, yet they expect only farmers to pay it. Higher yields will see elevator companies will have higher handle. Railtroads wil have more commodities to pull. Better quality or quality traits give the end user a nicer product or the need to buy less of a high end comodity to get the same end product. So if others along the value chain are benefitting from new seed varieties, why target just the farmer?

The moral hazard is of course that others will just pass their extra costs down to the farmer anyway, but still, I think the whole approach is short sighted.

Comment

This is a welfare seed tax.

Makes seed companies like welfare recipients. Rehash varieties and get a big check.

Look at canola it’s a shit show that’s coming from a farm that’s grown ****see canola for over 50 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
                      The problem with the seed "tax" is that all members of the value chain benefit, yet they expect only farmers to pay it. Higher yields will see elevator companies will have higher handle. Railtroads wil have more commodities to pull. Better quality or quality traits give the end user a nicer product or the need to buy less of a high end comodity to get the same end product. So if others along the value chain are benefitting from new seed varieties, why target just the farmer?

The moral hazard is of course that others will just pass their extra costs down to the farmer anyway, but still, I think the whole approach is short sighted.
                      The first question I asked in Saskatoon at a seed tax meeting is ...

...who is ready for more volume and who is buying our quality grain?

It makes no sense when 3cwad is the durum grade and feed wheat is worth as much as quality wheat....

Where are our markets ...

And the railroads are not ready nor are the graincos. ..

Grow more make less....
                      Last edited by bucket; Jul 31, 2019, 06:40.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                        The first question I asked in Saskatoon at a seed tax meeting is ...

...who is ready for more volume and who is buying our quality grain?

It makes no sense when 3cwad is the durum grade and feed wheat is worth as much as quality wheat....

Where are our markets ...

And the railroads are not ready nor are the graincos. ..

Grow more make less....
                        yep somehow "quality" grain has to be differntiated from run of the mill standard milling grain and poorer stuff.

But buyer blend to get there desired specs from various destinations.

If australia and canada still had there single desks the situation would be no different. Russia ukraine etc argie are the bigplayers now.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...