• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally waking up?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally waking up?

I see KAP, APAS and AFA are asking for farmers opinions about seed royalties.

http://www.country-guide.ca/crops/cereals/what-do-farmers-really-think-about-seed-royalties/ http://https://www.country-guide.ca/crops/cereals/what-do-farmers-really-think-about-seed-royalties/

Starting a wee bit late getting in the campaign boys? - like 15 years late?

From the NFU archives 2004:
    The “Seed Sector Review” released its report recommending royalties be charged on farm‐ saved seed. Days later, the NFU released a lacerating critique of the Review’s report, discrediting it and sidelining most of its recommendations.

The NFU launched its “Seed Saver Campaign”, an extremely successful initiative that included numerous public meetings and generated broad public support.

Had a conversation with someone who "used" to farm here and now works for a seed company....should have heard him try and sell me the "Seed Synergy" line of horseshit.

Should have seen the look on his face when I called it the seed tax.

This issue will be one of the things that will make me nervous to vote Conservative.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
      Had a conversation with someone who "used" to farm here and now works for a seed company....should have heard him try and sell me the "Seed Synergy" line of horseshit.

Should have seen the look on his face when I called it the seed tax.

This issue will be one of the things that will make me nervous to vote Conservative.
      So were is this at consultation period?? Then becomes act of parliment or may or will be qhaushed

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
        So were is this at consultation period?? Then becomes act of parliment or may or will be qhaushed
        There was no consultation...it was a love in for all that agreed with it... if you have questions it's better that you quit farming because you are not progressive....

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
          There was no consultation...it was a love in for all that agreed with it... if you have questions it's better that you quit farming because you are not progressive....
          So its in and its law?

Comment

So its in and its law?
            As much as I hate to say this, it.may as well be. They will ram this down our throats one day, regardless of what we think or say.

For the first time ever I have my forms ready to send in for my check off money back.

Enough is enough.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
              I see KAP, APAS and AFA are asking for farmers opinions about seed royalties.

http://www.country-guide.ca/crops/cereals/what-do-farmers-really-think-about-seed-royalties/ http://https://www.country-guide.ca/crops/cereals/what-do-farmers-really-think-about-seed-royalties/

Starting a wee bit late getting in the campaign boys? - like 15 years late?

From the NFU archives 2004:
              The “Seed Sector Review” released its report recommending royalties be charged on farm‐ saved seed. Days later, the NFU released a lacerating critique of the Review’s report, discrediting it and sidelining most of its recommendations.

The NFU launched its “Seed Saver Campaign”, an extremely successful initiative that included numerous public meetings and generated broad public support.

Fk - That should never have been a like. And i backspaced the vitriol.

Comment

Originally posted by LWeber View Post
                Lol, why back space the vitriol?

Out with the bad in with the good!

Out with the negative energy and in with the good synergy! ...err I mean energy!

Now tell us what you really think!

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                  Only a Liberal would claim that spending a bunch of membership/donation money and having made no long-lasting change, a resounding success. But at least it kept the NFU leadership in a job and let them stroke their ****, I mean ego, so maybe for them it was a success?

Comment

Yes we need a dislike button
                    To easy to hit

Comment

Originally posted by 15444 View Post
                      Only a Liberal would claim that spending a bunch of membership/donation money and having made no long-lasting change, a resounding success. But at least it kept the NFU leadership in a job and let them stroke their ****, I mean ego, so maybe for them it was a success?
                      On the contrary their efforts 15 years ago were very successful - their lone opposition was enough to make the seed companies back down for several years. It's only lately they've got cocky and want to try again. Every other "farmer representative" group failed to do anything the first time around and they've failed again this time around - but only now they are going to start asking farmers what their opinion is. A day late and a lot of $ short.

Comment

What are your thoughts on this seed tax Lweber . You seem to be a neutral 3rd party and can view this without tinted glasses unlike everyone else that's commenting. I think most value your opinion as a voice of reason(if they don't they should). I know where I stand, but I also realize that I am biased.

Comment

Look im a dumb****le.

Farmaholic grows wheat A wheatking grows wheat B

Can farma and wk both keep there own seed from respective varieties?

Can wheat king sell in wheat variety B to farma to "bulk up" meaning he sells him 4 tonne to gow and he keeps the resulting tonnes for seed?

Here in aust as ive said heaps we buy one or two tonne of new seed and bulk up and usually grow it for 3 or 4 years until a superceded model comes out. Pay the #5 end point royalty collected and paid by buyers out of proceeds.

Initial seed for bulking up is 4 to 6 times cost at a guess so last year wheat was around 400 per tonne elevator so seed was about $2000 per tonne but you only buy one or two and your good for years.

I can sell my bulked up seed to another famer but he has to declare the type on delivery.

think you system may be more complcated.

Again not sure been in for 20yrs here to raise money for breeding.

Maybe you guys are mega rich and buy new seed each year?? Just doesnt happen that way here never has never will.

Comment

Look im a dumb****le.

Farmaholic grows wheat A wheatking grows wheat B

Can farma and wk both keep there own seed from respective varieties?

Can wheat king sell in wheat variety B to farma to "bulk up" meaning he sells him 4 tonne to gow and he keeps the resulting tonnes for seed?

Here in aust as ive said heaps we buy one or two tonne of new seed and bulk up and usually grow it for 3 or 4 years until a superceded model comes out. Pay the #5 end point royalty collected and paid by buyers out of proceeds.

Initial seed for bulking up is 4 to 6 times cost at a guess so last year wheat was around 400 per tonne elevator so seed was about $2000 per tonne but you only buy one or two and your good for years.

I can sell my bulked up seed to another famer but he has to declare the type on delivery.

think you system may be more complcated.

Again not sure been in for 20yrs here to raise money for breeding.

Maybe you guys are mega rich and buy new seed each year?? Just doesnt happen that way here never has never will.
                            Yes we can keep and use the seed we bought ,royalty paid, to use on our own farm royalty free.
                            It is now illegal to sell it to another grower. Now both the buyer and seller can be prosecuted.
                            Many producers do exactly what you described, bulk up a smaller quantity for their own future use.
                            I don't know any people who buys brand new seed every year.
                            I think most producers fear the whole seedtax thing morphing into the expensive canola seed gouging model.
                            Those bastards think there is no limit to what they can charge.....too many parasites and excessive advertising etc built into the seed costs.

Comment

Keeping farmers from trading seed won't work any better than Prohibition.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...