• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dakota Weather Consultants Blog for July 30, 2019

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dakota Weather Consultants Blog for July 30, 2019

Good Afternoon,

Well here is this weeks updated blog.

High pressure will be sliding across the Dakota's and towards the Great Lakes, while the next storm system arrives into the Cascades and will make its way east-northeast through the week. This will set the stage for breezy south-southeast winds for most areas from Edmonton to Winnipeg southward into the Dakota's and Nebraska. The front will also usher in some much needed rainfall to some of the drought areas along the CAN and ND border. A few storms will also be embedded in this will bring with it gusty winds and hail, along with brief heavy downpours, most likely time frame will be Wed-Friday across the Winnipeg and into the Dakota's.

Well in the comments section below some had asked about Frost dates, I decided to be nice and offer that to you this week as well, however you will have to click the link below to see that, it will be found by clicking on the Synoptic Discussion Tab.

Visit the link for more weather details...
    http://www.dakotaweatherconsultants.com/maplewx.html Frosty Weather

Have a nice day until next week,
    Meteorologist Joshua Kelly

So nothing early on the frost front then. Interesting, and would be welcome this year.

Comment

Thanks josh!! Fingers crossed for no frost until October!

Comment

The first frost last year for most of Saskatchewan canola crops was September 7th.

11+ days later would help.

Comment

Hopefully we make it till full moon in September

Comment

What would be the value of a frost prediction? The other night we were forecast low of 7c and it ended being 4 and another poster 2. A week or two from now they might predict a low of 4 and it ends up being -2 or -4. The 7 overnight low was made on the within 24 hours so two weeks down the road? Good Luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
              What would be the value of a frost prediction? The other night we were forecast low of 7c and it ended being 4 and another poster 2. A week or two from now they might predict a low of 4 and it ends up being -2 or -4. The 7 overnight low was made on the within 24 hours so two weeks down the road? Good Luck with that.
              If there is a deep cold front expected in early September, would be nice to know .....
              Swath a touch on the early side or leave it stand ...... made the difference from number one to a 3 or sample in some pod shatter canola here last year
              Or swath cereals to help get rid of green instead of leaving in to get trampled by snow or hit with frost and end up with 3 or feed .
              I can go on .... people have short memories from last year

Comment

They wont know there is a frost coming until 3 days before it comes. Advice keep the swather primed for first week in Sept is my experience. Had to lay it down fast last year about the same time.

Comment

If we would have known that last September was going to have 3 heavy snows we could of had 80% of our wheat in the bin and been a 1 or 2
                  But we ended up with this ....

Same with the guys that left standing canola that had to straight cut canola 3 inches of the ground and destroy headers , swathers and combines . A heads up could have saved a lot of guys the misery and $10’s of thousands of dollars .
                  In a swath before the snow would have saved grade , an
                  Tremendous amount of money and stress.
                  Just sayin .......

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                    They wont know there is a frost coming until 3 days before it comes. Advice keep the swather primed for first week in Sept is my experience. Had to lay it down fast last year about the same time.
                    Wheat in a swath was a disaster here after 3 snowfalls , even worse than lodged

Comment

Yes I agree it would be nice to know weather ahead and would make decisions away easier but forecasters struggle with day to day. Drew in my opinion is about as good as it gets!

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                        Yes I agree it would be nice to know weather ahead and would make decisions away easier but forecasters struggle with day to day. Drew in my opinion is about as good as it gets!
                        From what I recall he was the only one to predict the early frost last September.

Comment

Its a funny thing they cant predict the weather 3 days out but know exactly the temp 50 years from now.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...