• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A comparison...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A comparison...

I was doing some limited research into prices of beef compared to Beyond Meat...

Hamburger is about 5 bucks a pound at the store...
    Beyond meat patties work out to 17 bucks a pound...

I receive 1.60 a pound for live weight calves around 650 pounds

I receive about 10 cents a pound for my peas...

Just wondering what the **** our advocates are doing with our research funding channeled off our checkoff funding????

Maybe I am just Tupid....

Your math might explain why beyond meat's share price has shown some strength. Also no wonder the food processing industry is so interested in products like beyond meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
      Your math might explain why beyond meat's share price has shown some strength. Also no wonder the food processing industry is so interested in products like beyond meat.
      And what's worse is the protein cluster is helping those industries....is that like saying subsidized....those capitalists....Geez....

And yet primary production is forgotten ...they can probably manufacture the peas in a lab now wth a printer....

Comment

U Saskatchewan guys have everything tough. I pay 3.00 a lb for hamburger at local coop when it’s on sale quite often.

Comment

Originally posted by Radical View Post
          U Saskatchewan guys have everything tough. I pay 3.00 a lb for hamburger at local coop when it’s on sale quite often.
          What are you paying for the Beyond Meat salt burger? Per pound?

Comment

I’m a pea grower and hate beyond meat it’s a cheap unhealthy product. A lot of peas went to be added to dog food as a filler product

It’s a filler for dog food.

It’s a filler for make believe meat.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
              I’m a pea grower and hate beyond meat it’s a cheap unhealthy product. A lot of peas went to be added to dog food as a filler product

It’s a filler for dog food.

It’s a filler for make believe meat.
              I think it's the protien they're after, could always use soybean meal as the filler and all men could grow tits from soybean's high estrogen content. It's a nongender identifying burger you know. Men could grow boobs in support of women's rights and equality....what better way to show support and compete for quota based job postings.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                I think it's the protien they're after, could always use soybean meal as the filler and all men could grow tits from soybean's high estrogen content. It's a nongender identifying burger you know. Men could grow boobs in support of women's rights and equality....what better way to show support and compete for quota based job postings.
                Omg don’t let truduea read this he ll make it mandatory all men eat this. Then there will be no men and no women just persons. Could be hazardous for anyone drunk at the bar taking someone home and finding a surprise downstairs!!! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                  Absolutely - the attraction is the potential to turn an even cheaper product into a "retail ready meal solution". Its also an opportunity for folks like Bucket to develop their own ethically produced, local, competitive product. With the right branding you could probably charge $20 a lb made from your 10c/lb peas.
                  Probably all kinds of Government funding through a protein cluster or hub to initiate a feasibility study and build a small plant.

Comment

The hamburger price tells me that the middleman is working on razor thin margins, contrary to popular belief.

The fake meat price tells me that there really is a sucker born every minute.

Comment

Someone else posted this on a cattle site. Hope they don't mind me re posting it as I think it is an important point:

Originally posted by kiwi66

I think many are missing the big picture here - mankind of all shapes and sizes has for millennia being raising, feeding, slaughtering and butchering meat animals - any able person with an intent to do so can follow this process and feed a village ................ only conglomerates and the uber industrialists have access to the processes which apparently can turn peas into protein which resembles anything like meat. If in the future (near or far depending on how stupid the average non farmer consumer is) these entities put an end to animal based agriculture (which is an avowed intent of at least one fake "meat" manufacturer) then the western worlds population will have effectively handed their food surety into the hands of a very few ......

Like all industrial products the Chinese will be here soon and will be looking to cheapen it up.

Be like dog food and cattle feed pellets. You can't even guess what's in it. Whatever is cheapest that day.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                        I was doing some limited research into prices of beef compared to Beyond Meat...

Hamburger is about 5 bucks a pound at the store...
                        Beyond meat patties work out to 17 bucks a pound...

I receive 1.60 a pound for live weight calves around 650 pounds

I receive about 10 cents a pound for my peas...

Just wondering what the **** our advocates are doing with our research funding channeled off our checkoff funding????

Maybe I am just Tupid....
                        Bucket your math is right on spot! The food industry margins are astounding. Fake meat is all about making money for the food industry just like climate change is all an excuse to grab more taxes from the people and not cause an outright riot.

I grow lots of peas and I will never eat a garbage meat replacer. I thank the cattle farmer every day and get my protein in the most efficient delivery package...red meat!

I will consume plant protein in other ways and it makes me sick to be in a Tim Horton’s line up and see people buying into the fake meat when the cattle industry has had very few awesome years and lots of struggle.

Hats of to the cowboys...keep fighting the good fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Crestliner View Post
                          Bucket your math is right on spot! The food industry margins are astounding. Fake meat is all about making money for the food industry just like climate change is all an excuse to grab more taxes from the people and not cause an outright riot.

I grow lots of peas and I will never eat a garbage meat replacer. I thank the cattle farmer every day and get my protein in the most efficient delivery package...red meat!

I will consume plant protein in other ways and it makes me sick to be in a Tim Horton’s line up and see people buying into the fake meat when the cattle industry has had very few awesome years and lots of struggle.

Hats of to the cowboys...keep fighting the good fight.
                          Sadly the cattleman's representative isn't fighting or they would be pointing out the salts in processed fake meat....and the price....
                          Last edited by bucket; Jul 23, 2019, 07:52.

Comment

Beyond meat or organic products have a market more on perception of the consumer.food industries takes the consumer serious whether it has merit or not.I still can not figure out how you can patent a recipe and sell shares on it.wonder if there is a patent on a pizza.?

Comment

Wow the anger here on this issue is interesting. As western Canada being the largest traders of peas and lentils in the world we need new markets for our pulses. India and China take far too high of a percentage of the total production. When they make noises we hurt. There is a new pea plant being built in Portage. I am no fan of fake meat for my own consumption as I like beef and I prefer to eat pulses in their traditional fashion. Hey if you are every going through Fillmore the Tavern there is run by a couple Indian guys who make a prenominal butter chicken. I prefer to see these artificial meat a "gateway" food that we can get the vegetarians of the world to move towards meat like products. We all know a good steak has it over a burger any day!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...