• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s the craziest thing hauled home from an auction?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just about every thing I farm with so i guess i am the dumbest one here. But i always check similar items with dealers and Holy crap who would go to a dealer?

The craziest thing might have been the 35 foot Macdon header that i pulled home from Lethbridge AB. all the way back here to NE Sask. What a journey that was!

Comment

I have always preferred to buy land rather than brand new equipment. 95%of my purchases have been at auction sales. Has worked well for me in my 42 years of farming. I'll let skf help finance the Jd dealers newest Learjet. Oddest thing purchased at an auction was a fuel nozzle to fill a jet. Cost me 15 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by RD414 View Post
        I have always preferred to buy land rather than brand new equipment. 95%of my purchases have been at auction sales. Has worked well for me in my 42 years of farming. I'll let skf help finance the Jd dealers newest Learjet. Oddest thing purchased at an auction was a fuel nozzle to fill a jet. Cost me 15 bucks.
        Same, everything comes from auctions or kijiji. And I'll travel nearly anywhere for a bargain. Our accountant is astounded at how little we have invested in machinery compared to the land we buy. I am happy to let someone else eat the depreciation.

Oddest thing I've purchased is a 1950's? Land Rover when I was a teenager, it was in pieces at an estate sale and I had to buy various piles of miscellaneous to get all the parts I needed to put it back together, almost found all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
          Hand crank shears were uptown. My clan had the ones that looked like pliers.
          Well ya, that’s why I bought the newer modern one.

Comment

My favorite thing to do at auctions is watch what the pain in the ass neighbors are bidding on and throw a few odd bids in just to make them pay more. Bid a couple times and walk away. Also love to keep auctioneer on his toes and sale moving so I will throw a low-end bid to start an item real quick to end the preamble bullshit story. Got called out once by an auctioneer and told him I didn't even want the junk he was selling, just keeping the sale moving along so we don't make it an all day affair. I'll throw a starting bid on almost anything just to keep things moving along.

Comment

Originally posted by 15444 View Post
              My favorite thing to do at auctions is watch what the pain in the ass neighbors are bidding on and throw a few odd bids in just to make them pay more. Bid a couple times and walk away. Also love to keep auctioneer on his toes and sale moving so I will throw a low-end bid to start an item real quick to end the preamble bullshit story. Got called out once by an auctioneer and told him I didn't even want the junk he was selling, just keeping the sale moving along so we don't make it an all day affair. I'll throw a starting bid on almost anything just to keep things moving along.
              Good man. Nothing worse than dicking around on a $2 box of junk. One time I went to a ratty auction where they were litteraly selling the sidewalk blocks.

Comment

Good man. Nothing worse than dicking around on a $2 box of junk. One time I went to a ratty auction where they were litteraly selling the sidewalk blocks.
                Best auctions are those in the middle of a rainstorm. Crowd disperses quickly and entire trailer loads get sold instead of one box at a time. The more lightning, the better the bargains.

One auction, an estate had nothing but scrap cars and smashed equipment, but the dead man's garage was full of brand new tools, still in packages. Big stuff too, 2"-3" box ends. Multiple sets of 1" drive. Everything basically in a heavy equip shop he had, majority brand new. His kids bought him tools every Christmas and he never used them. All I remember was it didn't cost much and the truck was heaped going home.

Comment

I go for the old jd shit. Yes AR R 830 diesels 7520 and 5020s. The one I still want is a 6030 Deere. Still looking.

Funniest thing bidding on line when to sick to go to the sale and send your son. I’m signed on line and with my big thumbs bid twice on the same tractor my son is bidding on swiping up.

Didn’t get it thank god.

Two more sales this summer for old stuff looking at a Case eagle and a 430 Deere.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                    I go for the old jd shit. Yes AR R 830 diesels 7520 and 5020s. The one I still want is a 6030 Deere. Still looking.

Funniest thing bidding on line when to sick to go to the sale and send your son. I’m signed on line and with my big thumbs bid twice on the same tractor my son is bidding on swiping up.

Didn’t get it thank god.

Two more sales this summer for old stuff looking at a Case eagle and a 430 Deere.
                    "case" , wtf ?

Comment

Funny enough my dad loved auctions and I'm cleaning 50 years worth. Yesterday I found a pile of about 100 sidewalk blocks.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...