• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola plant density

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola plant density

A few years ago (retired now) we conducted trials on different seeding rates with 16 inch spacing. We used seedmaster drill and weighed all the different rates ranging from 6lbs to 2lbs .We conducted these trials for two years and in both cases the highest yields were achieved at the 2.5 lb rate not sure what plant count would have been but guessing it was around 2to3 plants per square foot.it seems the industry wants 6 to 8 plants which I think is yield reducing.Reading some research down in Australia they seem to be more in that 20 to 30 plants per sq metre which translates to about 2 to 3 plants per sq ft. Just wondering if our crops are to thick causing excess disease and plant competition.

Originally posted by kANOLA View Post
    A few years ago (retired now) we conducted trials on different seeding rates with 16 inch spacing. We used seedmaster drill and weighed all the different rates ranging from 6lbs to 2lbs .We conducted these trials for two years and in both cases the highest yields were achieved at the 2.5 lb rate not sure what plant count would have been but guessing it was around 2to3 plants per square foot.it seems the industry wants 6 to 8 plants which I think is yield reducing.Reading some research down in Australia they seem to be more in that 20 to 30 plants per sq metre which translates to about 2 to 3 plants per sq ft. Just wondering if our crops are to thick causing excess disease and plant competition.
    Our plant counts are creating a lot of wealth for the suppliers that’s about it. Except on a year where the flea Beatles or frost thin the stand. Have been doing my own comparison and 3 pounds works as good as or better then any amount higher. Jmo.

Comment

They want the large plant counts because they sell seed. Plus if it’s shitty seed they have there ass covered because you still grow a crop with min plants.

Back years ago had a lot of kill from anhydrous and my plant count was poor. After all said and done it did very well.

Comment

Comment

I think Pharaoh tickler is onto something but his innovation will be stolen when the SeedCos realize more people will seed at much lower rates "successfully".

Sadly, when you cut seeding rates in half there is very little room for error. A low plant density per square foot is workable but it needs to be uniform across the field..... not 7 to 8 plants in one patch, none in another and 2 to 3 in another.

We've had some very successful canola establishments at not super high seeding rates.....just high germ and establishment.....so high that the crop had to compete with itself......thin spindly stalks because of it.

How do you plan for lack of or excessive establishment? That's why you seed for the average and HOPE for the best.

Don't expect perfection in such an imperfect environment!!!!!!!!

Best of luck everyone!

Comment

2.5 lbs an acre is where I’m at.

Comment

Originally posted by TASFarms View Post
              2.5 lbs an acre is where I’m at.
              Must use a SeedHawk/Vaderstad or SeedMaster or planter?

Comment

I still say there is some soil types and topography that is more forgiving than others. Even then, field condition plays a role.
                Straw, previous crop, moisture, bugs, conditions initially after seeding....continuous net drying or a difference making shower.

Lots of variables to play.

Comment

Case disk drill.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...