• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If there was ever such a thing as a good politician, he met that standard. RIP John.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If there was ever such a thing as a good politician, he met that standard. RIP John.

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-news/former-mp-john-rafferty-dies-1549147 https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-news/former-mp-john-rafferty-dies-1549147

I really liked John, really easy-going fun-loving guy. Always voted for his constituents. If there was a contentious bill to be voted on in the future, everyone got a ballot in the mailbox to have their say. When it came to the long-gun registry, 96% of us voted to scrap it. He got treated like shit by the party for disobeying the leader. He is the only politician I have known that I would vote for regardless of party, because he always let the people decide, not the party.

"Born in Wingham, Ont. on July 3, 1953, Rafferty's time in Ottawa wasn't without controversy. He ran afoul of interim NDP leader Nicole Turmel, when he stood his ground and in 2011 voted against the repeal of the long-gun registry, saying at the time he was standing up for the constituents of his largely rural Northwestern Ontario riding.

Both Rafferty and fellow Thunder Bay-Superior North NDP MP Bruce Hyer were disciplined by Turmel, losing their critics roles and temporarily their right to ask questions or make statements in the House of Commons.

Hyer would later cross the floor to join the Green Party, while Rafferty had his status restored by newly anointed NDP leader Thomas Mulcair. "
    Last edited by 15444; Jul 2, 2019, 18:56.

It should say, voted FOR the repeal of the long-gun registry.

Comment

In all honesty, isn't that the way our MPs and MLAs should vote? ...not towing party lines.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...