• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metals mines association, accounting for most federal enviro assessments, OK with Bil

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
    To busy to go in to detail.

Saskatchewan has lots of issues. I don't know as much about Alberta but in both provinces there have been media reports over the years about problems landowners and residents have had with flaring, H2S, facility leaks. Sickness, cattle deaths, worker deaths

The biggest issue is all the abandoned, orphaned and suspended wells. Who is going to clean them up?

The surface casing runs through aquifers that provide water to many towns and farms. What happens if the surface casing corrodes and leaks saltwater and hydrocarbons into a freshwater aquifer? Nobody will be able to clean that up.

Take a look at NOAA's satellite image of the night time sky tonight in western North Dakota. There are hundreds of gas flares lighting of the sky that make it look like a very populated area. That is an incredible amount of air pollution and a wasted resource. It is still happening across the oilfields of western Canada as well.

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/conus.php?sat=G16
    I know who should clean them up 👍
    All the useless able body people who refuse to work for living and want to live off the government tit aka the working people’s hard earned tax money .... that’s who.... and covers a lot of demographics in this country.
    That and all these “activists” that obviously have absolutely *** all to do with their time .... put them to work

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
      To busy to go in to detail.

Saskatchewan has lots of issues. I don't know as much about Alberta but in both provinces there have been media reports over the years about problems landowners and residents have had with flaring, H2S, facility leaks. Sickness, cattle deaths, worker deaths

The biggest issue is all the abandoned, orphaned and suspended wells. Who is going to clean them up?

The surface casing runs through aquifers that provide water to many towns and farms. What happens if the surface casing corrodes and leaks saltwater and hydrocarbons into a freshwater aquifer? Nobody will be able to clean that up.

Take a look at NOAA's satellite image of the night time sky tonight in western North Dakota. There are hundreds of gas flares lighting of the sky that make it look like a very populated area. That is an incredible amount of air pollution and a wasted resource. It is still happening across the oilfields of western Canada as well.

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/conus.php?sat=G16
      Oh OK, I see now, so you just made up all the accusations, they didn't really occur, I believe the legal profession has a term for doing that?

But, just like your promises of imminent catastrophe from global warming, you are now forecasting disasters that will result from the energy industry, since you have no current examples.

And now landowners and residents are having workers die due to oil and gas, and still no one does anything about it? This is getting harder to believe with every post. You should definitely report it every time that happens.

At least we can agree that flaring is an absolute crime against our offspring. Too bad we have been wasting all this time and money fighting CO2 with supposed green energy scams, instead of putting the "waste" gas to use. It would release the same amount of life giving CO2 either way. Just need some pipelines and encourage more end users to put it to use.

Comment

I have directly experienced the joy of H2S leaking into my house ventilation system while my family tried to sleep. The new oil well operator left his test tanks open to the atmosphere instead of running a flare untill the flow line was hooked up. It was fixed after we complained.

But in another case the operator shut the flare down at the battery because of a fire risk during a dry fall.

Several batteries got shut down when gas leaks on old equipment were leaking H2S to the atmosphere.

It still happens as you can smell H2S on drives around SE Saskatchewan. It shows up on the air quality monitoring station reports.

There is enforcement but they are understaffed and can't be on top of every complaint quickly.

Flaring is very inefficient process as the small flares often go out and then relight. Burningis an incomplete process

I don't care if you don't think there are problems that need to be fixed. But thoughtful rational people including people in the oil industry and government know it is a problem. But regulations and enforcement are inadequate.

Comment

Before chuck goes off the deep end, let me interject.

In 2015 the provinces got together and made a cost share pitch to the feds to use unemployed oil workers to start taking on the orphan well problem. It was rebuffed. That would have done more for the environment than any carbon tax would. Nope, not even considered.

The orphan well problem is nothing compared to Canadas past mining disasters. Who is cleaning those up?

And the gas flaring is so spread out that its uneconomical to gather it all. You would have to run thousands of miles of underground poly to link them all together and since we don't like pipelines that's going to be harder now too. Also, the gas is wet and has lots of other constituents, it needs to be scrubbed and separated.

Lastly there is NO CLIMATE CHANGE. ZERO, NADA. And you don't have to believe me, just look up Env Canadas site. Arctic ice up 31% this year in the middle of summer. There are lakes in N Sask still have ice on them. The forecast shows no 30 deg days well into the middle of July. Its all garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post

And the gas flaring is so spread out that its uneconomical to gather it all. You would have to run thousands of miles of underground poly to link them all together and since we don't like pipelines that's going to be harder now too. Also, the gas is wet and has lots of other constituents, it needs to be scrubbed and separated.
            I don't think we can use the excuse that it isn't economic TODAY, to waste a valuable resource that future generations will desperately need tomorrow.

As this gas glut gets worked through due to increasing uses for gas etc., the price differential per energy equivalent will close to the point where it will make sense to process and gather the gas. If the well doesn't make economic sense today including the cost of processing and gathering the gas, then wait until it does, the products aren't going anywhere, and no one except Chuck believes that demand for fossil fuels will disappear, so we need to extract all the oil ASAP while there is still a market. I know business isn't really that simple, but from a higher level point of view, we will all be better off in the long run, if we take the long view.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
              I don't think we can use the excuse that it isn't economic TODAY, to waste a valuable resource that future generations will desperately need tomorrow.

As this gas glut gets worked through due to increasing uses for gas etc., the price differential per energy equivalent will close to the point where it will make sense to process and gather the gas. If the well doesn't make economic sense today including the cost of processing and gathering the gas, then wait until it does, the products aren't going anywhere, and no one except Chuck believes that demand for fossil fuels will disappear, so we need to extract all the oil ASAP while there is still a market. I know business isn't really that simple, but from a higher level point of view, we will all be better off in the long run, if we take the long view.
              I don't know how you can extract the oil and leave the gas in place. Gas is practically free these days so the income from the oil well would have to pay for it to be collected. Maybe compression and storage for now.

Would people like some of these sitting near their homes?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20_liquefied_gas_sto218afa_copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	767417

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                I don't know how you can extract the oil and leave the gas in place. Gas is practically free these days so the income from the oil well would have to pay for it to be collected. Maybe compression and storage for now.

Would people like some of these sitting near their homes?

[ATTACH]4435[/ATTACH]
                The answer is that we don't extract the oil until the gas is also economical. We take a very short sighted view of our resources. We aren't the last generation who will want to improve our standard of living by extracting them, but we sure do act that way.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...