• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back to the Old Days?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheep

"Hate to say it, but I know of zero young guys doing it on their own dime."

This seems to annoy you to no end, and bring it up on every given opportunity.

If parents are willing to help their children become a success in farming or anything in life, good on them.

I for one wish there were more parents in this county doing what they are suppose to do as parents.

Why do you take such issue with this?

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
      FCC is only going to push out the guys with equity.....some of the new BTOs have zero equity...and they are going to be left alone and they will let them ride.....

Equity sold is cash to make FCC look good. .....

We are heading to a world of tractor,sprayer and combine jockeys.....
      I watch that everyday. I dont object to it. The “boys” are making good salaries for the area, they seem content and describe how they provide value to the entity. They just have to keep the land prices at the tip tip tippity top.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
        I watch that everyday. I dont object to it. The “boys” are making good salaries for the area, they seem content and describe how they provide value to the entity. They just have to keep the land prices at the tip tip tippity top.
        Until the BTO can't make payroll.....

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
          Sheep

If parents are willing to help their children become a success in farming or anything in life, good on them.

I for one wish there were more parents in this county doing what they are suppose to do as parents.

I have zero issue with it at all. I’m sure if my dad had been here he would have backed me to the hilt, as I will if one of my kids farms. I am just explaining that most young guys have not done it on their own dime. Not a big deal at all.

I do believe it does lull kids into a false sense of security at times. At some point they gotta leave the titty. Do you see what I mean? Kids shouldn’t be on the titty yet at age 40, should they?

Just thinking. I will admit a small part of me does resent that I never had the chance to farm with my dad, with his blessing, his wisdom, and his backing. I think that is only natural. My attitude has been getting better over time. I am thankful for that, as it is not good to be hyper resentful... to that end, I fully admit I have been in a bad way in the past. Glad people can change and so on. Acceptance can take time.

Will be 30 years this Thursday my dad died, I miss him, and wonder what could have been??? I often daydream that he could visit the farm, give me some encouragement, tips, ideas, and just so he could see how crazy things have gotten! Lol
          Last edited by Sheepwheat; Jun 10, 2019, 09:05.

Comment

Sheep

Do people not think that parents/family help their kids start new businesses or buy homes in cities and towns? Lots of borrowed money or cosigned loans by parents to get kids started.

Comment

Originally posted by walterm View Post
              Do people not think that parents/family help their kids start new businesses or buy homes in cities and towns? Lots of borrowed money or cosigned loans by parents to get kids started.
              Giving your kid a $20k downpayment on house and $50k in education is a drop in the bucket compared to backing them farming. Kids aren't starting businesses in the city. They are trying to land govt jobs. Nobody in their right mind would start a business in Canada. The deck is stacked against entrepreneurs, unless you are a female pot shop owner.

Some people would say getting your kid into farming is child abuse. I farm with my dad but there was no way I would ask him to risk his farm and equity to back me. Did it with a job first.
              Last edited by jazz; Jun 10, 2019, 09:24.

Comment

unless you are a female pot shop owner

Correction :

Unless you are a female indigenous lbqgt immigrant ....pot shop owner....

Get it right FFS....lol...

Comment

Here, 02 was likely a once in a career event. Took insurance and sprayed most everything out. One field of good dirt ran 21 wheat. Solonetzic 2 bu.
                  0 expenses after June 15. Baled the whole country then sold cows and feed.
                  88 we were still small enough we fell behind a small amount lol. Still combined something. Land $500 not $5000. But ya, all grain farmers under 600 acres were out by that spring.

Comment

Sheep

Off topic. I take issue with it, not so much from a personal perspective but from a broader societal perspective. My reason being, that I am not convinced that heredity will always ensure that the best and brightest, most innovative, most ambitious or most motivated will get the opportunity to prove what they can do if Mom and Dad pass everything on to the next generation. Look no further than the royal families of the world throughout history.

Put another way, if your parents are good business managers, well connected, hard working, and you have grown up learning these traits, you are already head and shoulders above most of your peers, and will have opportunities most could only dream of, even without a dime of financial help.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                      Off topic. I take issue with it, not so much from a personal perspective but from a broader societal perspective. My reason being, that I am not convinced that heredity will always ensure that the best and brightest, most innovative, most ambitious or most motivated will get the opportunity to prove what they can do if Mom and Dad pass everything on to the next generation. Look no further than the royal families of the world throughout history.

Put another way, if your parents are good business managers, well connected, hard working, and you have grown up learning these traits, you are already head and shoulders above most of your peers, and will have opportunities most could only dream of, even without a dime of financial help.
                      I think the old proverb “shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations” fits your description. It is not specific to farming but all ventures in life. It is not something to hope for, or wish upon others, but an interesting observation over time.

https://familylinevideo.com/three-generations-family-legacy-videos/

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                        Is the party over?

How many of those reduced bushels are needed to pay 75-100 dollar an acre rent?

Anyone want to discuss the combined affect of fewer bushels with depressed commodity prices?

Land couldn't pay for itself before, now what?

Input prices(goods and services) have escalated in relation to "good times". Canola seed isn't as affordable in the brown and dry dark brown soil zones as in the moist dark brown and black(35-40 bpa versus 50-60 bpa). But drought doesn't distinguish soil zones and won't discriminate.

Hope we don't lose to many young producers if we get a sustained period of "tough times".
                        We will. No doubt about it

Comment

Click on the image to see it's full size.
                          https://ibb.co/LtYD1cp

Numbers down the left are yield in BPA. The lines represent yield potential, for that one factor (that one nutrient, moisture, or weather) considering all others are perfect. Basically the "shortest stave" (Liebig's Law) principle (see link) to forecast yield potential and make management decisions based on the availability of resources for the crop. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebig%27s_law_of_the_minimum https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebig%27s_law_of_the_minimum

And this one is since planting (May 17th)
                          https://ibb.co/6DdBH4v
                          Last edited by Klause; Jun 10, 2019, 14:29.

Comment

One of the reasons we do not fertilize full tilt at seeding .....
                            these Ag retailers that convince farmers they have to “max out” at seeding or they are not worthy should be made to sit and stare at that graph for 10 hrs straight lol

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                              Until the BTO can't make payroll.....
                              The large farms here must have piles of cash and equity. They would make payroll. They buy vehicles and/or recreation toys for some of the employees. There is plenty of money.

Comment

Still a little bit of moisture there... that tenth actually did something with it being cold.

https://ibb.co/bWS22Gz

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...