• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some rain and some Skunked.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some rain and some Skunked.

It looks like the big rain event of 3 inches turned into 3/10s. for Saskatchewan. Few hits and miss spots but on average the rain event produced anywhere from 1/10 to 1/2 with not many at 1.

All rain for the next 7 days is out of Environment Canadas forecast so we're looking at the week after fathers day.

Rain in drought makes grain and it looks like the winner is Alberta and SE Sask and into Manitoba.

The Gap was skunked.

We need the jet stream to change and change fast.

But Staff will look out there office window in Manitoba or Calgary and state the drought is over.

Had one tell me farmers are finally fall pricing in Alberta as they know a crop is made. Similar in Manitoba but Sask farmers are gun shy.

Wonder why can't deliver if you have nothing to deliver.

Ah farming and I actually think it looks like 1988 all over again. First good rain was the 23rd of June. 1.2 inches.

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
    It looks like the big rain event of 3 inches turned into 3/10s. for Saskatchewan. Few hits and miss spots but on average the rain event produced anywhere from 1/10 to 1/2 with not many at 1.

All rain for the next 7 days is out of Environment Canadas forecast so we're looking at the week after fathers day.

Rain in drought makes grain and it looks like the winner is Alberta and SE Sask and into Manitoba.

The Gap was skunked.

We need the jet stream to change and change fast.

But Staff will look out there office window in Manitoba or Calgary and state the drought is over.

Had one tell me farmers are finally fall pricing in Alberta as they know a crop is made. Similar in Manitoba but Sask farmers are gun shy.

Wonder why can't deliver if you have nothing to deliver.

Ah farming and I actually think it looks like 1988 all over again. First good rain was the 23rd of June. 1.2 inches.
    Funny how some things we remember the times and dates and what we were doing when things happen.

Like when JFK got shot, Elvis died, your mom and dad passed and when it rained in 88.

Comment

Yes, it is I was combining Barley the day Elvis died behind the house. Mom was a big fan. JFK I was playing with blocks to small. But yes my Uncle had his auction sale the day after that rain event and wow it went well. Every single guy was there and happy.

Dad still says 1961 was really dry and they only combined the Valley as it floods every spring plus sloughs. They hayed the big lake because it dried up.

In 1988 the drought made it up to 5 miles South and West of us. We had a crop. Not great but we harvested.

Comment

I would say 60-70% of the dry area in western Canada got skunked or so very little it will be of no help what so ever

Comment

It seems the Reddeer corridor and from Weyburn north a bit had a good storm. Some Manitoba but for the most part Skunked.

June 23 rd looks like the day. Yea twice in one lifetime.

Comment

Yes, it is I was combining Barley the day Elvis died behind the house....
            You're a legend SF3 who knew? - was that behind your house in Regina or Florida?
            Cooled off here at least overnight, less than 1/10th of rain so far.

Comment

1.5 tenths here. Gone by noon with the wind blowing. Wind most days. Unreal.

Comment

A fool posted above like he always does.

Comment

Yorkton north we are still so dry we are farting dust

Comment

Originally posted by AllisWD45 View Post
                    Yorkton north we are still so dry we are farting dust
                    Shits getting real!!!

Comment

The bad thing with 1988 it did rain a good amount on June 23rd but then we had some come again and first plants headed early and filled.

It rained around exhibition week and thought wow we could do good.

Then it froze and the early germinated looked really nice combined with the later stuff that came at the end of June after the rain looked like shit and feed for you.

So Yea some times your the bug and some times the window.

Global cooling is so cool. Need long pants to be outside today.

Comment

Both 1986 and 1988 were horribly dry in this area. In most 80’s, we sprayed Decis and Lorsban for grasshoppers in Lentils a few times, trying to save the Lentil blooms.

In 1988, aside from 2 or 3/10” showers, our 1 3/4 inch rain came July 19. The real problem in 1988 was the fact that the cereals never tillered and as soon as the header touched the stems, the material toppled over and fell under the header. A couple windy days laid down our 6 or 7 bushel an acre stand, we bought tiger-tooth sickle sections for our headers and limped through harvest that way. 6 - inch Lentils (some never saw the top of the toe of my work boot) yielded way better than Canary or wheat. Harvest was over before the second week of August.

Our neighbour, who always started seeding when we parked our discers, had a really nice crop of frozen everything. That fall, lentil prices sky rocketed and our 1987 ugly carry-over of X3 and #3 Laird Lentils brought 27 cents a pound intead of the 9 cents they were worth the winter before. Canaryseed prices also shot up. Those were the days when Canada ruled the roost in the Lentil market and we didn’t need Crop Insurance because a few bins full of Lentils and Canaryseed were our insurance. Kinda miss the good ole days of elastic prices but who knows, that could happen again if our competitors have a bad crop.

East of Regina: There’s some 10 inch-high winter wheat here heading out this week. I guess in a hundred day growing season, we are at the 35-day mark. The Lentils are standing like tough little soldiers 3-inches high while the wind batters them day after day. Durum - planted on Lentil stubble, in the 2 to 3 leaf stage, looks pretty good. A rain and cooler temperatures would work wonders, but I think the bin-buster might be gone.

Hope the saying, “Seed in dust-bins will bust” is true but for sure, we will not curse rain again.

Comment

Some guys I’ve talked to say nothing in two wks, turn the tap completely off and collect crap insurance. Lentils and peas will be impossible to cut, cereals won’t be able to head if they make it that far. Canola well .... thankfully my gut told me not to seed any.
                          As I told someone yesterday, the next in crop chemical might be glyphosate. Who knew we would be doing a double burnoff in one year??
                          Oh the joys of this business!!

Comment

Yes, it is I was combining Barley the day Elvis died behind the house. Mom was a big fan.
                            Elvis died behind your house? In Saskatchewan? Did you at last try to help him? Lol I Just scared my wife as we sit and have coffee in a cold house in June. My sudden laughter made her jump. Lol.

Sorry grass, never saw you caught that too.

Comment

So had a chat with crop insurance about my non established canola. 12 plants, seeds or half living seedlings in the dust per sq m is still considered an established crop. Like WTF. Second week in June and they call this to have still have a chance at a crop. I want to get it written off and reseed something deeper but they arent making this easy. Meanwhile getting weedy. Some one mentioned spray it out with Liberty then seed something else in deeper and take what you get in the end.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...